+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Just got back.....

Just got back.....

A hard fought win that is becoming typical of this City team - not at their best but getting the points regardless, showing a real determination and togetherness. The other thing that impressed is that WE are now the team changing games at the end (penalties aside.....) rather than the other way around.

I was surprised when I saw the line up (I expected Zohore, Patterson and Grujic to start) but have learnt this season to trust in Colin’s team selection.

That said.....and I hate to say it, Madine was ineffective again, despite the occasional nice touch, and the game changed when Zohore came on.

We carved out three reasonable chances in the first half but the game was very even.

The second half followed a similar pattern despite Patterson coming on for Damour, but it was Zohore’s clever finish that changed the game and Hoilett’s superb second was the icing on the cake.

I think that if I was a Norwich fan, I’d feel that we’d been mugged although despite hitting the post and forcing some desperate last ditch defending they didn’t really work Etheridge. But then again we didn’t really trouble their keeper either.

I can’t see how Colin can start Madine after what I saw today and interestingly lots of the City fans there today were less than impressed with his contribution.

One last point worth mentioning: aside for the comedy refereeing of Keith Stroud away at Milwall earlier this season, today’s referee was the worst I have seen. I’d be interested to see how many free kicks he awarded but he ruined what could have been a much better game by blowing up for everything. He was absolutely rubbish.

Re: Just got back.....

Last I looked at about the 60/70 minute we had conceded 18 fouls

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Last I looked at about the 60/70 minute we had conceded 18 fouls
    Honestly, it was a joke.

He blew up for everything. It was very frustrating to watch for both sets of fans. And they were all for really innocuous ‘fouls’.

His game management was shocking as I think he only booked Bryson and Peltier but if he’d done so earlier he may have seen the game flow by showing some level of authority early on.

As it was I think that even the players were fed up with him!

He blew up for absolutely everything and still the Norwich fans were jeering him for every decision. I’ve never seen such a crowd of whiners.

We "won" 23-8 on fouls according to the BBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    A hard fought win that is becoming typical of this City team - not at their best but getting the points regardless, showing a real determination and togetherness. The other thing that impressed is that WE are now the team changing games at the end (penalties aside.....) rather than the other way around.

I was surprised when I saw the line up (I expected Zohore, Patterson and Grujic to start) but have learnt this season to trust in Colin’s team selection.

That said.....and I hate to say it, Madine was ineffective again, despite the occasional nice touch, and the game changed when Zohore came on.

We carved out three reasonable chances in the first half but the game was very even.

The second half followed a similar pattern despite Patterson coming on for Damour, but it was Zohore’s clever finish that changed the game and Hoilett’s superb second was the icing on the cake.

I think that if I was a Norwich fan, I’d feel that we’d been mugged although despite hitting the post and forcing some desperate last ditch defending they didn’t really work Etheridge. But then again we didn’t really trouble their keeper either.

I can’t see how Colin can start Madine after what I saw today and interestingly lots of the City fans there today were less than impressed with his contribution.

One last point worth mentioning: aside for the comedy refereeing of Keith Stroud away at Milwall earlier this season, today’s referee was the worst I have seen. I’d be interested to see how many free kicks he awarded but he ruined what could have been a much better game by blowing up for everything. He was absolutely rubbish.
    I'm afraid Neil doesn't agree with you or the lots of city fans regarding Madine Bobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I'm afraid Neil doesn't agree with you or the lots of city fans regarding Madine Bobby.
    I agree with Warnock.

Madine won a lot of ball in the air, but no one got near him, until Patterson cane on.

Our problem was clearly midfield.

Gunnar is a shadow of himself and refuses to try to bring the ball down. He was absolutely awful. Damour was pretty invisible. A few yards behind the game, and Bryson although the best of the 3 didn't really get the ball down and seems to find it hard with the ball bouncing around, mainly off Gunnar to get a grip as he was no physical match for the likes of Tettey.

Hoillet was excellent, but also lacked support and NML had moments, but came up against a full back who had superb balance and pace and that made him think and pass. Not something he's particularly good at.

I'd Zohore had started he wouldn't have done any more than Madine and would have been off by the time his chance came.

Madine did his job.

Criticism belongs with OTHER players today., although even that has to be tempered by the fact that none of the midfield 3 who started would be our current first choice ( Ralls, Grujic, Patterson)

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    He blew up for absolutely everything and still the Norwich fans were jeering him for every decision. I’ve never seen such a crowd of whiners.
    Spot on.
    They have to be one of the most one eyed lot I've seen.

At one point Peltier got pushed by one of their players.

Ref gave the free kick to them and then as the crowd cheered he booked Peltier too !

And throwing themselves to the ground all the time like Jack Grealish.

Reading some comments apparently he had a stinker for them v Hull giving Hull a 'ghost goal' or something so they felt he owed them some favours 😂

I could not believe that Peltier booking, I was watching on ifollow so had a pretty good view and he definitely just got pushed in the back.

D’amour and a few other players did foul a lot and we did deserve a lot of the free kicks against us but the state the crowd got into you think the ref gave them nothing when he gave them everything!

I hope Ralls is back for forest. Gunners is obv not up to the pace but will also have one eye on the World Cup, he won’t want another injury now and we can’t afford to let it cost us.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I hope Ralls is back for forest. Gunners is obv not up to the pace but will also have one eye on the World Cup, he won’t want another injury now and we can’t afford to let it cost us.
    It's definitely not lack of effort for Gunnar.

It's just a lack of fitness and sharpness.
    He's reliant on this as he's not the most talented, but it's just not there at the moment.

Bryson however was everywhere and would be unlucky to lose his place although we have to remember he won't be available when we go to Derby

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    It's definitely not lack of effort for Gunnar.

It's just a lack of fitness and sharpness.
    He's reliant on this as he's not the most talented, but it's just not there at the moment.

Bryson however was everywhere and would be unlucky to lose his place although we have to remember he won't be available when we go to Derby
    Good spot there. That's why Warnock wants Ralls back for Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Well Colin is hardly going to publically criticise Madine is he?

The FACTS remain that the crowd were singing for Zohore to come on and Madine was clearly not doing what the fans at the game wanted (I’m sorry but I don’t know if you attended the game or not). The other fact is that the game changed when Madine went off and Zohore came, on and then scored.

Now these FACTS may be related to other tactical nuances that I missed (which would be odd as Zohore was the last sub) and Zohore didn’t have a great game by any means, but the fact remains that when he came on, the team magically did much better.

Is that hat due to Madines’ limited contribution or the impact that Kenneth made? A bit of both I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We "won" 23-8 on fouls according to the BBC.
    Brilliant, effort , strong challenging , never give up attitudes usually results in fouls, gosh remember the days when we used to say where's our grit.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Brilliant, effort , strong challenging , never give up attitudes usually results in fouls, gosh remember the days when we used to say where's our grit.
    My Dad always used to say this - that we were a soft touch as a team.

But now we are almost always the most physically imposing side.

We were by no means dirty yesterday. The ref was just hopeless.

SuperBluebirds91

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post

Well done for going and making the long trip - I bet the win made it so worth while though. I kind of hope Warnock starts marine again for forest but then brings on Zohore at half time if not working. Coming off the bench seems do to him wonders. I'm gutted as haven't been able to go to any away matches during the last 2 months due to illness (I even had booked time off to go to Norwich away!) prior to that I went to 7 aways and all the home up until Feb! So if your going to aways please give the lads an extra shout from me too! On the plus side if we do make it up to the PL hopefully I can go next season to the aways! We really to need to all out against forest and aim to get the win!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBluebirds91 View Post
    Well done for going and making the long trip - I bet the win made it so worth while though. I kind of hope Warnock starts marine again for forest but then brings on Zohore at half time if not working. Coming off the bench seems do to him wonders. I'm gutted as haven't been able to go to any away matches during the last 2 months due to illness (I even had booked time off to go to Norwich away!) prior to that I went to 7 aways and all the home up until Feb! So if your going to aways please give the lads an extra shout from me too! On the plus side if we do make it up to the PL hopefully I can go next season to the aways! We really to need to all out against forest and aim to get the win!
    Whatever it is mate, I hope you get better soon. 👍

The amount of times we need a goal and Zohore is subbed cos he's knackered! Does my head in. Much rather he come in from the the bench and affect the game.

Madine didn't offer much but it's not his fault. In the same way as Zohore sometimes doesn't get any service a lot of the time, it was much the same.

I wasn't happy when Madine went off for Zohore at 0-0 with 15 mins to go as I thought we needed to go for it and go 4-4-2 but I suppose that's why I paid £300 for a weekend up there and Warnock is the one doing the business for us and getting paid handsomely for it

Delighted to see a first clean sheet in 8 games as well, a great confidence boost and scenes in the away end that were nearly matched in a local pub when Brentford equalised in the 95th minute. 4 to go...