+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cautious optimism?

Cautious optimism?

Amazing weekend of football. City back to winning ways and a gift from the football gods to give Brentford an equaliser!

Gives us a massive opportunity and an advantage but in all this positive hysteria is anyone else not getting too carried away? I’m boosted by the weekend but to think that Fulham are suddenly going to implode I think is hopeful at best. Millwall away is going to be really tough for them and out if their remaining games the one which I thought they could lose points but they could just as easy nick a win. Fulham have two or three top top players and let’s not forget they are still unbeaten since December.

Not trying to be a killjoy but let’s not get carried away just yet. Forest on paper looks a very easy for us at home but come on guys how many times have we slipped up against so called easy teams.

If Fulham do slip up against Millwall and we do our job against forest then and only then will I start thinking about getting the bunting out. Im cautiously optimistic but this bluebirds feet are firnky on the ground for now .

Re: Cautious optimism?

Uncautious optimism for me. Yesterday turned out to be a decisive late twist of fate for both clubs. We were on the ropes after the Villa match, but it's a funny old game.

Quote Originally Posted by THE DON View Post
    Amazing weekend of football. City back to winning ways and a gift from the football gods to give Brentford an equaliser!

Gives us a massive opportunity and an advantage but in all this positive hysteria is anyone else not getting too carried away? I’m boosted by the weekend but to think that Fulham are suddenly going to implode I think is hopeful at best. Millwall away is going to be really tough for them and out if their remaining games the one which I thought they could lose points but they could just as easy nick a win. Fulham have two or three top top players and let’s not forget they are still unbeaten since December.

Not trying to be a killjoy but let’s not get carried away just yet. Forest on paper looks a very easy for us at home but come on guys how many times have we slipped up against so called easy teams.

If Fulham do slip up against Millwall and we do our job against forest then and only then will I start thinking about getting the bunting out. Im cautiously optimistic but this bluebirds feet are firnky on the ground for now .
    This is my view too. If we are 4 or 5 points ahead at the end of this coming Saturday then I will start to really believe we might do it. However, my pessimistic long-term CCFC fan view is that we'll end up missing out on auto on the final day of the season at home to Reading, as this just seems to be the fate that awaits all CCFC supporters whenever we dare to hope...

I have to have that view as I can't cope with the disappointment otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    This is my view too. If we are 4 or 5 points ahead at the end of this coming Saturday then I will start to really believe we might do it. However, my pessimistic long-term CCFC fan view is that we'll end up missing out on auto on the final day of the season at home to Reading, as this just seems to be the fate that awaits all CCFC supporters whenever we dare to hope...

The reality of the situation is that yesterday was a big swing in our favour. There may be other twists to come, but right now at this very moment in time you wouldn't want to be Fulham.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post

If we are 5 points ahead by this coming Saturday I'd be totally convinced the football Gods are smiling on us 😉

Someone posted recently that a team with 27 wins has never failed to get promoted, win our 2 home games and we've reached that target and I have a feeling 89 points will be enough.

I've said a couple of times - in footballing terms, Fulham can quite easily continue unbeaten. But whatever team you are, however much better than the rest, the last few games of a season come down to bottle as well as ability. Fulham and their supporters must really be thinking that they deserve promotion and how grossly unfair/unlucky it would be to end up in the lottery of the play offs. We seem to have gone through some incredibly tense and nervy moments in the last few games, and maybe we're just a little bit more chilled that Fulham..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I've said a couple of times - in footballing terms, Fulham can quite easily continue unbeaten. But whatever team you are, however much better than the rest, the last few games of a season come down to bottle as well as ability. Fulham and their supporters must really be thinking that they deserve promotion and how grossly unfair/unlucky it would be to end up in the lottery of the play offs. We seem to have gone through some incredibly tense and nervy moments in the last few games, and maybe we're just a little bit more chilled that Fulham..
    Yep, our wheels were falling off, but we've managed to put them back on again, while Fulham just went over a huge speed bump at full pelt

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    If we are 5 points ahead by this coming Saturday I'd be totally convinced the football Gods are smiling on us 😉
    If we score 3 more than Forest, don't we get a bonus point?

tiz simple really, we have to match Fulham's results / points to go up. If we get 7 points then they have to win all 3

If Millwall could do us a favour Friday I’d feel a lot better because fulham’s other 2 games look easy enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    If Millwall could do us a favour Friday I’d feel a lot better because fulham’s other 2 games look easy enough.
    I think Norwich was the hardest of our last 5 games.

I cant For the life of me see Cardiff slipping up again,they are the best team for nicking points when being outplayed, it’s not a coincidence it’s a fine art, I stated that Fulham would not beat brentford, it would not surprise me if Fulham turned over millwall, the. Worse team on current form is forest, so 3 easy points

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I think Norwich was the hardest of our last 5 games.
    I’ve got such a bad feeling about Derby and hull, hope it’s just nerves!

I'll rephrase that, I think Norwich was the hardest fixture on paper

We are Cardiff. Optimism doesn't come easy.

Derby could beat us 20-0 and we'd still go up if we beat the other three sides.

Back in the mix, let’s see how Friday goes first.

At least our destiny is still in our hands.
    While we all hope Fulham slip on Friday, they still cannot catch us if we continue winning.
    4 points ahead going into the final game will do for me.😎

Quote Originally Posted by Fulham traveller View Post
    I cant For the life of me see Cardiff slipping up again,they are the best team for nicking points when being outplayed, it’s not a coincidence it’s a fine art, I stated that Fulham would not beat brentford, it would not surprise me if Fulham turned over millwall, the. Worse team on current form is forest, so 3 easy points
    I've had you down to pick up at most a point at wall, after you dropped points Saturday though I've convinced myself you will actually turn them over. We should have beaten them away, and their record at home is impressive, it's like a graveyard for top 6 teams, it looks like a tough game and that's why in my backward thought process I think you'll tump them 3 nil.

Much more optimistic after this weekends results. We didn't have the rub of the green in our last two matches but the way we won and the way Fulham dropped points will hopefully prove decisive. Saying that I would be a lot more optimistic if Millwall can help us out on Friday night!

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

IMO it’ll all come down to gd as to which of us finishes 2nd

I don't like all this "we'll be promoted at Derby" bollocks. A week or so ago it was "we'll be promoted against forest"
    One game at a time please, who knows what will happen.
    I am very cautiously, slightly optimistic....
    .... a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I've had you down to pick up at most a point at wall, after you dropped points Saturday though I've convinced myself you will actually turn them over. We should have beaten them away, and their record at home is impressive, it's like a graveyard for top 6 teams, it looks like a tough game and that's why in my backward thought process I think you'll tump them 3 nil.
    Please stop saying 'wall'

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Please stop saying 'wall'
    Absolutely not.