Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Bridge

Re: The Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Oooh! Nice one.

Ill be honest, it went over my head first time I read it

Least interesting post of the day:

Did you know that the gender of nouns in other languages influence the adjectives assigned to them?
    The word “bridge” is feminine in German and masculine in Spanish. Sure enough, German speakers described bridges as beautiful, elegant, fragile, pretty, and slender, while Spanish speakers said they were big, dangerous, strong, sturdy, and towering.

Still awake?

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Why dont they have a competition like Boaty Mc Boat face - anyone for The Bridgey McBridge Bridge ? or seeing as Wales voted Brexit - then the Brexit Bridge ? - those that dont want to cross it can go via Gloucester......

The Yacky Da Bridge and make sure we put a cheep grid on it as well.

So are much better alternatives than what they are proposing.....
    That's the point. They don't give a fcuk what the people of Wales want to call it, they've decided on a name they want and it's just tough sh1t on us.

It's Iechyd da by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post

Ill be honest, it went over my head first time I read it
    Must admit, me too. But knowing it's named after his mother makes it even funnier now.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Interesting statement by Alan Cairns when confronted with a petition signed by 25000+ citizens protesting against a lack of consultation he said that he listened to the desires of the silent majority

Ironic that the conservatives didn’t adopt this approach over Brexit
    What silent majority over Brexit ?. Everyone had the right to vote in the referendum and the majority voted to leave. Thats the point of a referendum. There is no silent majority, only a noisy, whining, moaning minority who wont accept the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Droves? 99.999% were oblivious to the fact she visited at all. The others watch soap operas. You know the type.
    Happy Harry is going to be a Duke in your Republic though.

The Prince Charles bridge, what is it with this Welsh cult?
    Didn't you know? The government asked every one of us what we wanted to call the bridge and we almost unanimously voted for Charles. Because he's awesome and does so much for Wales.

Just like your brothers and sister in the north, we LOVE the royals.

I’ve re read the initial message and can only conclude it’s a poor attempt at a wind up insinuating Wales is indoctrinated with a cultish obsession with the Royal family.
    Any half arsed search could show there’s been a lot of opposition to it.
    Still, must be a boring day in louth.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Who cares really?

They would have been better off selling the naming rights to some multinational corporation.

The MPN windows doors and conservatories Bridge sounds better.
    Not many really care what its called, you will find the nationalist few will be making alot of the noise , Oh oh he isnt Welsh, what has he done for us etc etc etc

Sell the name and use the money to scrap the toll now then the next time it is up, use the money for a good cause

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Not many really care what its called, you will find the nationalist few will be making alot of the noise , Oh oh he isnt Welsh, what has he done for us etc etc etc

Sell the name and use the money to scrap the toll now then the next time it is up, use the money for a good cause
    Really? You know that the people who've signed the petition are all "nationalists"?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

Over 35,000 people in a small country is more than a few and shows quite a lot of people care

I opened this post as i thought it was a discussion on the brilliant drama https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b03bnc34

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Over 35,000 people in a small country is more than a few and shows quite a lot of people care
    There's also a groundswell of "nationalism" taking place in Bristol against re-naming the bridge. I blame the FASA (Free Avon and Somerset Army).

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    if they are all in Wales, then it's over 1.1% of the population.

An equivalent petition for the whole of the UK would have over 700k signatures.
    To dismiss it off hand like that is unacceptable.

International

My understanding was it is to be Called the Prince of Wales bridge, so there is no direct reference to Charles.

there have been many Princes of wales, he is but one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    My understanding was it is to be Called the Prince of Wales bridge, so there is no direct reference to Charles.

there have been many Princes of wales, he is but one of them.
    Read the small print. It's being named the Prince of Wales Bridge in honour of Charlie Windsor for all the good things he's done for Wales, such as bringing it prosperity and putting it on the map worldwide. No one has done more for the profile of Wales than Charlie boy.

Whenever I go abroad and say I'm from Wales, the first thing the locals do is say "Ah, Prince Charles, yes I know him. He is fantastc"

Droves? 99.999% were oblivious to the fact she visited at all. The others watch soap operas. You know the type.
    Ireland seemed to come to a stop when the last royal wedding was on! https://www.irishtimes.com/news/roya...ewers-1.875777

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

My favorite Prince of Wales went on to become Henry V

The original English hooligan abroad