+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prince - Nothing Compares 2 U

Re: Prince - Nothing Compares 2 U

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    successful.

He was clearly exceptionally talented and possessed a vision for his music that bordered on obstinacy: not only had he produced, arranged, performed every instrument and composed all but one song on his 1978 debut album For You, he had also somehow contrived to get a record contract with Warner Brothers that entitled him to complete artistic control, almost unheard of for a new artist.
    The guy was incredible didn't he play something ridiculous as 50 odd different instruments on that album

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It was recorded in their rehearsal space, not in a proper studio. It's just a quick demo and it wasn't even mixed properly. It was made for a band called Family, so that they could learn the song, as Prince wrote it for them.
    It was quite obviously a demo, didn't know who for or anything..but that is why SOC will sound better because it's not a rough version

I didn't like it because it was a completed song, I liked it because even through the rough edges you get how talented the bloke is.

Funny isn't it. There is no doubting Prince's amazing talent but I haven't got one of his albums.
    Different eras I guess but not only that, I am not sure I like many of his songs. Many remind me of those dreadful 80's American movie soundtracks.

As far as comparing him with Elvis, it is a bit like comparing the best ever football teams, stroke players, from different eras.
    Both were "performing artists" and had influences on many talented musicians after them.
    I didn't like Elvis as a kid, nor Chuck Berry but am not naive to suggest that they we nowhere near as talented as Prince.. pure folly.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, apart from being an amazing performer, wrote his first of over 600 compositions at 5 years old and his first opera at 8!
    I doubt many on here possess "Mozart Live in Salzburg" in their collection

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Funny isn't it. There is no doubting Prince's amazing talent but I haven't got one of his albums.
    Different eras I guess but not only that, I am not sure I like many of his songs. Many remind me of those dreadful 80's American movie soundtracks.

As far as comparing him with Elvis, it is a bit like comparing the best ever football teams, stroke players, from different eras.
    Both were "performing artists" and had influences on many talented musicians after them.
    I didn't like Elvis as a kid, nor Chuck Berry but am not naive to suggest that they we nowhere near as talented as Prince.. pure folly.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, apart from being an amazing performer, wrote his first of over 600 compositions at 5 years old and his first opera at 8!
    I doubt many on here possess "Mozart Live in Salzburg" in their collection
    Have a listen to his super bowl half time show played a few covers, then watch him playing the solo of while my guitar gently weeps with petty, Lynne, Harrison's son and others

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Have a listen to his super bowl half time show played a few covers, then watch him playing the solo of while my guitar gently weeps with petty, Lynne, Harrison's son and others
    Allow me ..

You can see from his moves and showmanship that Prince worked very hard to be more than just a talented musician. I can see a connection with Motown, where they had stylists and choreographers who schooled everybody in the art of being great entertainers. He probably did it all himself though, and even had a Charlie Chaplin thing going on

Allow me ..

Class! Just need the super bowl half time show now

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Class! Just need the super bowl half time show now
    The video I posted was probably just a rehearsal for the Super Bowl!

Allow me ..

Watched that over and over. Dhani Harrison is loving it. He’s in his element performing with greatness. And his old man was a Beatle.

Saw Clapton and McCartney similar vid. Nowhere near that.

Quote Originally Posted by Culver Blue View Post
    Watched that over and over. Dhani Harrison is loving it. He’s in his element performing with greatness. And his old man was a Beatle.

Saw Clapton and McCartney similar vid. Nowhere near that.
    It's such a great video. Dhani's smile as Prince walks on is a picture, he knows what's about to happen.

Like you say, Dhani has spent his whole life surrounded by the greatest musicians of the day.