+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prince - Nothing Compares 2 U

Prince - Nothing Compares 2 U

Re: Prince - Nothing Compares 2 U

Nothing Compares 2 U: the secrets of Prince's original recording, unheard until today

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...assic-released

Wow genuis

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Wow genuis
    It sounds like it was written and recorded in an hour, which it probable was. It's only a demo, albeit one that has been hidden for 34 years.

Bloke is a legend

Elvis Presley ? Not fit to kiss his arse

Superb. The guy had it all.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Bloke is a legend

Elvis Presley ? Not fit to kiss his arse
    Elvis was talented but basically a karaoke singer.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Elvis was talented but basically a karaoke singer.
    An influential karaoke singer.

I refuse to dis Elvis.
    One of the true greats without question.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    An influential karaoke singer.
    Like Tom Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I refuse to dis Elvis.
    One of the true greats without question.
    https://youtu.be/w8YHBvX4QtM

https://youtu.be/yoH367Dg4YY

https://youtu.be/vGJTaP6anOU

Here here.

Never heard that.

Purple raid has always been my "guilty pleasure" song.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Never heard that.

Purple raid has always been my "guilty pleasure" song.
    It has only just been released today from the Prince archives

Where where... (it's hear hear)

It has only just been released today from the Prince archives
    I'm off to play it again. Was just off to bed an all...

Elvis played how many instruments ?

Prince played guitar , bass , drums , keyboards , wrote songs for himself and many others and was a superb producer

Elvis did what ?

He was a good singer in the post war period who was around at the right time , nothing special at all

Like Tom Jones.
    And aled Jones

And Kelly Jones , Leeds fan

And aled Jones

And Kelly Jones , Leeds fan
    Best Jones was Bowie.

Elvis played how many instruments ?

Prince played guitar , bass , drums , keyboards , wrote songs for himself and many others and was a superb producer

Elvis did what ?

He was a good singer in the post war period who was around at the right time , nothing special at all
    He did have an impact performance wise, and also his backing band influenced later musicians. Essentially he was a crossover artist, bringing a different kind of music to the masses.

There were also other noteworthy acts who helped to popularize rock 'n roll, such as Bill Haley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Gene Vincent, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, etc..

He did have an impact performance wise, and also his backing band influenced later musicians. Essentially he was a crossover artist, bringing a different kind of music to the masses.

There were also other noteworthy acts who helped to popularize rock 'n roll, such as Bill Haley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Gene Vincent, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, etc..
    The American rock band living color did a superb song about him , will go see if I can dig it up

Am I allowed to say, after just the one listen, I prefer the Sinead O'Connor version? That doesn't stop me thinking that Prince is, perhaps, the greatest musician of my lifetime mind- a true giant. Prince wins any who was best competition with Elvis hands down as far as I'm concerned, but that doesn't make the latter some kind of lightweight. Being old enough to have lived through the early years of the Beatles' "world domination", I can recall what it was like - it really did seem as if this pop band were comprised of four of the most important people on the planet. I daresay it was something similar with Elvis for white America and I think it's impossible for anyone who wasn't there watching it to fully understand the impact his first television appearances must have had.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Am I allowed to say, after just the one listen, I prefer the Sinead O'Connor version? That doesn't stop me thinking that Prince is, perhaps, the greatest musician of my lifetime mind- a true giant. Prince wins any who was best competition with Elvis hands down as far as I'm concerned, but that doesn't make the latter some kind of lightweight. Being old enough to have lived through the early years of the Beatles' "world domination", I can recall what it was like - it really did seem as if this pop band were comprised of four of the most important people on the planet. I daresay it was something similar with Elvis for white America and I think it's impossible for anyone who wasn't there watching it to fully understand the impact his first television appearances must have had.
    Wise men say these things Bob, whereas fools rush in, but I can't help . . . .

successful.

He was clearly exceptionally talented and possessed a vision for his music that bordered on obstinacy: not only had he produced, arranged, performed every instrument and composed all but one song on his 1978 debut album For You, he had also somehow contrived to get a record contract with Warner Brothers that entitled him to complete artistic control, almost unheard of for a new artist.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The music is all over the place, whereas the SOC version is a cleaned up one probably worked on from a studio. Great song all the same. Grew up with my mother listening to it, so fond memories.

The music is all over the place, whereas the SOC version is a cleaned up one probably worked on from a studio. Great song all the same. Grew up with my mother listening to it, so fond memories.
    It was recorded in their rehearsal space, not in a proper studio. It's just a quick demo and it wasn't even mixed properly. It was made for a band called Family, so that they could learn the song, as Prince wrote it for them.