+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wenger out

Re: Wenger out

Quote Originally Posted by Silures View Post
    Wenger is one of the most overrated managers in British football. Any other manager at a top European club wouldve been sacked a long time ago, if they failed to win a league title as long as he has, and never won a European cup. He walked into a club with a tremendous spine, that was full of leaders, he got lucky with Henry, but over the years, hes slowly turned arsenal into the biggest bunch of fairies out of all the top clubs in Europe. How he kept that job as long as he has, is a total mystery
    The people who employ him are the shareholders, not the fans though, and he has delivered good results for them.
    To have remained near the top when Man Utd, then Chelsea and then Man City were throwing increasingly silly amounts of money at it was an achievement, and they probably should have won it the year Leicester did.
    Since then they've been in an obvious decline, but I think overall he's been good.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    He inherited a steely defensive structure. What he did to transform the team in attack bringing in artists like Bergkamp and Pires moved the team from hated to admired. The expectations on how footballers looked after themselves and the culture of the team changed English football and in the case of a couple of players probably saved their lives. I don't think he ever knew how to replicate that defensive strength and became fixated on the beauty of attacking. Stubborn and obsessive which is probably why he stayed too long but one of the great managers of the English game.
    Except when the built a defence that helped his side go undefeated? It was only after the defeat in champions league final where he seemed to refuse to treat what seemed like such obvious weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Have you seen how much money he's made that club
    Woulda earned a lot more if he'd won shit. The bloke is a fraud. All them years without winning anything at a club like aresenal? No European cups, no prem titles in God now how long. How many other managers at top European clubs would've lasted that long without winning a major trophy? Wenger is a joke who was easily bullied, and built teams that are easily bullied

Woulda earned a lot more if he'd won shit. The bloke is a fraud. All them years without winning anything at a club like aresenal? No European cups, no prem titles in God now how long. How many other managers at top European clubs would've lasted that long without winning a major trophy? Wenger is a joke who was easily bullied, and built teams that are easily bullied
    I know very little about Arsenal, and care even less, but I understood that he was denied funds to keep the team competitive while Arsenal built the Emirates. I think you are doing him a disservice.

Harsh. He won seven FA Cups on top of three League titles and managed them to a top four place for two decades.

What are the biggest trophies an English side can win? Premier league, Champions league and FA Cup. Count Arsenal's trophy count over these three cups compared to Spurs, Liverpool and Man City over Wenger's lean years and his record is still very competitive. Further away from premier league title than any other point in his reign, the most recent 2nd place was only so because they picked up a lot of points after dropping out of the title race, but there are only maybe 5 European clubs that wouldn't trade their past 22 years with Arsenal if given the choice.

His legacy deserves a more considered opinion than he's had recently on Arsenal fans TV.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    What are the biggest trophies an English side can win? Premier league, Champions league and FA Cup. Count Arsenal's trophy count over these three cups compared to Spurs, Liverpool and Man City over Wenger's lean years and his record is still very competitive. Further away from premier league title than any other point in his reign, the most recent 2nd place was only so because they picked up a lot of points after dropping out of the title race, but there are only maybe 5 European clubs that wouldn't trade their past 22 years with Arsenal if given the choice.

His legacy deserves a more considered opinion than he's had recently on Arsenal fans TV.
    He gone years without winning the premier league. Never won a European cup. I say again..... How many top eropean clubs would put up with that? He would've been sacked a long time ago at any other top club

He gone years without winning the premier league. Never won a European cup. I say again..... How many top eropean clubs would put up with that? He would've been sacked a long time ago at any other top club
    You say he hasn't won a European cup as if the other English clubs have been regularly winning it

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    You say he hasn't won a European cup as if the other English clubs have been regularly winning it
    Man united, Chelsea, Liverpool...... Aresenal????? I mean he's been there over 20years. Managers in the premier league who have won multiple European titles and haven't managed half the amount of time Wenger has.

I say all but 5 and maybe 6 to give myself wiggle room. Chelsea and Liverpool should bite Arsenal fans hand off to trade their past 22 years as likewise spent a decade away from premier league title (Liverpool have never won it) and much longer away from champions league qualification than Wenger's 2 years in that time. Who else is there? Only Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Man United, Real Madrid and Juventus as teams who wouldn't swap off the top of my head.

To be honest, the last few years he has been a dinosaur. But, when he arrived in the game, he transformed it. The influence he had in his first few seasons was immense, and his early Arsenal sides were some of the most entertaining I remember watching.