+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Leeds United

Leeds United

The premiership years in on Sky Sports now.
    What happened to Leeds? Was it just the debt and why has no rich benefactor come in for them especially with their fanbase and the fact they still are seen by some as a big club.

Alway made me curious that.

Re: Leeds United

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    What happened to Leeds? Was it just the debt and why has no rich benefactor come in for them especially with their fanbase and the fact they still are seen by some as a big club.

Something to do with a cup tie on 6th January 2002. All went downhill from there.

Ran out of the envelopes to fill with cash, to bribe people.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Something to do with a cup tie on 6th January 2002. All went downhill from there.
    I know it probably makes me an unambitious small minded person, but that day was probably the best football day of my life. And I only watched it in on TV in a pub in Maidenhead, I can only imagine what it was like at Ninian Park that night.

Quote Originally Posted by CopenhagenBlue View Post
    I know it probably makes me an unambitious small minded person, but that day was probably the best football day of my life. And I only watched it in on TV in a pub in Maidenhead, I can only imagine what it was like at Ninian Park that night.
    The atmosphere and high after the game is unsurpassed by any other game I've witnessed with the City since 1972

I hate Leeds , far too many idiots in south Wales still cling on to their coat tails

One plank I know says oh I am a Leeds man whenever the subject of football comes up ............he's never been to a football match of any kind in his life but wears a Leeds shirt .......he was born in Bridgend

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    The atmosphere and high after the game is unsurpassed by any other game I've witnessed with the City since 1972
    It was probably only the misty weather, but it really felt like the air was thick with something that night.

Unbelievable I was 14 at the time and had to stand in my chair in the bob bank all through the game, there was no way only 22k there that night felt more like 40k but I wouldn't be surprised if there was near 27/30k actually in there

Maybe the resident Leeds fan from Merthyr will let us know, haven’t seen him since.....since.....

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Yep.

LUFC.jpg

I can tell you in 40 years as a regular supporter that was the best game I ever saw in terms of passion (pashun) and excitement. I thought I was going to have a heart attack in the final minutes!

This happened to the horrible bastards, on the pitch. The atmosphere in the grandstand that day was dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by soulsurfer3 View Post
    This happened to the horrible bastards, on the pitch. The atmosphere in the grandstand that day was dangerous.

Loved that place. What a dump, but it was our dump.

Loved that place. What a dump, but it was our dump.

Same here, when it`s your home ground for 40 odd years, for me watching the City, CCS is a change that can never feel the same, the atmosphere is so different. I know all the arguments about moving on etc have their merit but I am a bit envious of clubs with old traditional shitholes , to a point anyway.

We were talking about this in the pub last match. It's our Woodstock moment, if you can remember it you weren't really there.

Remember going into canton just before 8, knock the window and the landlady head pops out before coming to open the door. Get in and the bar was ten people deep. By the time the pub actually "opened" everyone in there was pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    We were talking about this in the pub last match. It's our Woodstock moment, if you can remember it you weren't really there.

Remember going into canton just before 8, knock the window and the landlady head pops out before coming to open the door. Get in and the bar was ten people deep. By the time the pub actually "opened" everyone in there was pissed.
    I remember walking down Sloper road that fine Sunday afternoon and the air was full of chanting and alcohol .

a truly special day

The atmosphere will never be repeated these days, it was nasty, from the movement you walked down sloper road you knew it was going to be a wild ride,I dont care that people will disagree afterall " nasty football fans in abusive chanting and throwing things shocker " the crowd must have played a part that day Leeds really looked like rabbits caught in some headlights at times

A great day indeed

It was indeed a great day. Best atmosphere I can remember, including Real Madrid.

One memory I have is a bloke walking up and down Sloper Rd before the game forlornly asking "any spare tickets?" Not a chance!

And of course, best of all, dirty Leeds never recovered.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It was probably only the misty weather, but it really felt like the air was thick with something that night.
    Botswana roll ups on the Bob bank
    👍

Rio Ferdinand says most intimidating atmosphere he played in I believe ! Also described by Andy Gray as “old style cup atmosphere “ or words to that effect ! Great day !

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I was in the canton stand with my son and when Ferdinand was being treated off the pitch by the goals after being injured I dragged him to a space right next to where Ferdinand was and told him to remember that this was as close as we would ever get to 18 million quid

Happy days

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I hate Leeds , far too many idiots in south Wales still cling on to their coat tails

One plank I know says oh I am a Leeds man whenever the subject of football comes up ............he's never been to a football match of any kind in his life but wears a Leeds shirt .......he was born in Bridgend
    Bloke's a ****