+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Crowds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Crowds

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Maybe there are a few 1000 fans who don't visit MB's who walked away at the red brand, and who have never returned but do not feel they have to justify their actions to anyone other than themselves. Additionally and while the results have been enough post the xmas break, the quality of football has been awful, I watched only the 2nd half in a pub last night, with two other fans who have been regulars previously, it was dire for a team in the lofty position that the club are in, CC played some excellent football which was a pleasure to watch (on TV) prior to Christmas and the brand of football then ditched for the up and under brand after the holiday, both brands have been effective, Cardiff has been a poorly supported club (relation to the size of the city, population) for a big proportion of their history, take away the support from the valleys and it would spotlight this even more, has generally been able to attract a big attendance for a big game, but also capable of dropping 1,000's from game to game, I like to see the team win and want to see promotion, but being a regular again, that's gone and ended with the red intervention, 7.45 pm Saturday K.O ? someones having a laugh.
    The rebrand is over and done with and has been done to death by people like BIS. Its time to let it go, like most reasonable City fans already have. We have a team now who gives everything every game and never gives up. If you had been there watching the rubbish served up bu OGS, Slade and Trollopes teams you would have a better idea as to why our gates dropped so steeply after relegation from the Premier League and have taken so long to recover. Our average gate last season was 16500 and is now 19600 with one game to go which is good by anyones standards. There us no comparison between Warnocks teams and those before. The overall standard of our play this year is immeasureably better and we have a team to be proud of that is punching above its weight. Nobody (including NW, VT, the board and fans) thought we would be where we are now. If you and others dont want to come along to watch then fair enough but dont keep coming on here regurgitating the same old rubbish because it doesnt wash any more. Its your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    The rebrand is over and done with and has been done to death by people like BIS. Its time to let it go, like most reasonable City fans already have. We have a team now who gives everything every game and never gives up. If you had been there watching the rubbish served up bu OGS, Slade and Trollopes teams you would have a better idea as to why our gates dropped so steeply after relegation from the Premier League and have taken so long to recover. Our average gate last season was 16500 and is now 19600 with one game to go which is good by anyones standards. There us no comparison between Warnocks teams and those before. The overall standard of our play this year is immeasureably better and we have a team to be proud of that is punching above its weight. Nobody (including NW, VT, the board and fans) thought we would be where we are now. If you and others dont want to come along to watch then fair enough but dont keep coming on here regurgitating the same old rubbish because it doesnt wash any more. Its your loss.

Nothing more to add .
    100%spot on my friend

Tedious.

Like a stuck record, droning on and on and on and on.......................

Our average gate last season was 16500 and is now 19600 with one game to go ........... but dont keep coming on here regurgitating the same old rubbish because it doesnt wash any more. Its your loss.
    A very good point impressively made....with just the right amount of irony....

The rebrand is over and done with and has been done to death by people like BIS. Its time to let it go, like most reasonable City fans already have.

The overall standard of our play this year is immeasureably better and we have a team to be proud of that is punching above its weight.

If you and others dont want to come along to watch then fair enough but dont keep coming on here regurgitating the same old rubbish because it doesnt wash any more. Its your loss.
    Some quick points:

Whether people like you care to admit it or not, one of the most significant effects of the re-brand was that it caused many long-term, previously diehard fans to view the club and its fanbase in a totally different light. The upshot is that Cardiff City is simply nowhere near as important to many supporters as it once was and this no doubt has a negative effect on attendances, as the figures continually demonstrate.

As for the re-brand being over and done with, the fact is that the man responsible still owns the club, his personal choice of symbol adorns the badge and his motto is plastered all over the shirts and the stadium. Given the damage that was previously done, that's more than enough to keep some people away.

You do indeed have a team to be proud of that is punching above its weight, but if you're not a diehard supporter and winning matches isn't the only thing that is important to you, then I can assure you that watching City games this season has been a tedious experience more often than not. As far as most casual football fans (and even some staunch City supporters) are concerned, the style of play is mostly unattractive and uninspiring and I believe that's the most significant factor when examining the current level of attendances. Personally, I think Warnock and his staff have done an absolutely incredible job to get this squad to the verge of promotion, but if you think they're exciting or interesting to watch you're deluding yourself.

Just over a decade ago, I shared a car to a friendly in Stockport with the man whose message you responded to. There were three of us in the car that day. All of us boycotted the club during the re-brand era. Only one goes regularly now. He sent me a text from the ground at half-time last night, saying: "There's not an ounce of football on display from City. It's almost legal cheating."

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Some quick points:

Whether people like you care to admit it or not, one of the most significant effects of the re-brand was that it caused many long-term, previously diehard fans to view the club and its fanbase in a totally different light. The upshot is that Cardiff City is simply nowhere near as important to many supporters as it once was and this no doubt has a negative effect on attendances, as the figures continually demonstrate.

As for the re-brand being over and done with, the fact is that the man responsible still owns the club, his personal choice of symbol adorns the badge and his motto is plastered all over the shirts and the stadium. Given the damage that was previously done, that's more than enough to keep some people away.

You do indeed have a team to be proud of that is punching above its weight, but if you're not a diehard supporter and winning matches isn't the only thing that is important to you, then I can assure you that watching City games this season has been a tedious experience more often than not. As far as most casual football fans (and even some staunch City supporters) are concerned, the style of play is mostly unattractive and uninspiring and I believe that's the most significant factor when examining the current level of attendances. Personally, I think Warnock and his staff have done an absolutely incredible job to get this squad to the verge of promotion, but if you think they're exciting or interesting to watch you're deluding yourself.

Just over a decade ago, I shared a car to a friendly in Stockport with the man whose message you responded to. There were three of us in the car that day. All of us boycotted the club during the re-brand era. Only one goes regularly now. He sent me a text from the ground at half-time last night, saying: "There's not an ounce of football on display from City. It's almost legal cheating."
    What you say is just the same old stuff being regurgitated again and again. I dont mind people having these views but why keep coming on here and airing them continually. Its all very boring now. I get the impression that even if the ground was full every week and we were playing like Fulham or Wolves, BIS and others would still be spouting off about some other issues and blaming it all on the rebrand. I enjoy watching City, however they play, Even when playing poorly we have scored some excellent goals and won 26 games - more than when we went up under Mackay. How we play at this time of the season is irrelevent as long as we pick up points. Surely you should have learnt that from your time following City all those years ago. If you think that the football was more enjoyable then than now then you are the one who is deluded.

How we play at this time of the season is irrelevent as long as we pick up points. Surely you should have learnt that from your time following City all those years ago. If you think that the football was more enjoyable then than now then you are the one who is deluded.
    The fact is City have been playing like this for the majority of the season. After the early fireworks, the football has generally been a poor spectacle. It hasn't changed significantly in recent weeks. It's just as it has been for months.

How the team plays is irrelevant to you and other diehard supporters like you. I fully understand that. I used to be just like you in that respect. But when you're not a diehard City supporter, as is the case for the vast majority of the population of South Wales, then how the team plays is relevant. Football is a form of entertainment and unfortunately the current side simply doesn't entertain on any kind of a regular basis. The players are organised, strong, committed and have great spirit, but the team has very little flair and is generally tedious to watch. That, in my opinion, is the single biggest factor behind the current level of attendances.

The fact is City have been playing like this for the majority of the season. After the early fireworks, the football has generally been a poor spectacle. It hasn't changed significantly in recent weeks. It's just as it has been for months.

How the team plays is irrelevant to you and other diehard supporters like you. I fully understand that. I used to be just like you in that respect. But when you're not a diehard City supporter, as is the case for the vast majority of the population of South Wales, then how the team plays is relevant. Football is a form of entertainment and unfortunately the current side simply doesn't entertain on any kind of a regular basis. The players are organised, strong, committed and have great spirit, but the team has very little flair and is generally tedious to watch. That, in my opinion, is the single biggest factor behind the current level of attendances.
    Just as an example, what about the Leeds away game ?. That was on Feb 3rd and was an excellent performance. How about the Sunderland home game in mid Feb or the Brentford away game last month. You see what you want to see.

Just as an example, what about the Leeds away game ?. That was on Feb 3rd and was an excellent performance. How about the Sunderland home game in mid Feb or the Brentford away game last month. You see what you want to see.
    Like the vast majority of football fans in South Wales, I didn't see the Leeds away game. I did see the first half of the Sunderland game. It was a very poor spectacle, so I turned off at half-time. The Brentford game was a good one and a fine away performance from City after looking like they'd be defeated comfortably before Bamba's spectacular equaliser.

In truth. most of City's performances in live Sky games this season have been poor at best. They've managed to grind out results in most of them but it hasn't been good watch. That's what the average football fan in this area sees and I believe that's the major reason why attendances have been so poor. If you disagree with that assessment, then what's your take? Why do you think City currently sit 14th in the table of average league attendances this season despite being second in the league and on the verge of promotion?

Like the vast majority of football fans in South Wales, I didn't see the Leeds away game. I did see the first half of the Sunderland game. It was a very poor spectacle, so I turned off at half-time. The Brentford game was a good one and a fine away performance from City after looking like they'd be defeated comfortably before Bamba's spectacular equaliser.

In truth. most of City's performances in live Sky games this season have been poor at best. They've managed to grind out results in most of them but it hasn't been good watch. That's what the average football fan in this area sees and I believe that's the major reason why attendances have been so poor. If you disagree with that assessment, then what's your take? Why do you think City currently sit 14th in the table of average league attendances this season despite being second in the league and on the verge of promotion?
    I have given 'my take' on Cities attendances this season on a number of occasions in recent months. Suffice it to say that, given what has gone before over the last three years, I consider that an average gate of just under 20000 currently is good and shows that fans are gradually returning. Nothing to do with the rebrand either. Whats your take on Fulham then - 3rd in the table, 22 games unbeaten, London based, playing like Barcelona every week and only 13th in the average attendance table with a home crowd of no more than 17000 every week and an average of only 200 more than ours. I dont hear any of their fans criticising and saying how 'piss poor' that is.

Single biggest factor is the opposition in my opinion. If we go up, we could not touch the ball all season and still have bigger gates than this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Single biggest factor is the opposition in my opinion. If we go up, we could not touch the ball all season and still have bigger gates than this year.
    So so true.

What you say is just the same old stuff being regurgitated again and again. I dont mind people having these views but why keep coming on here and airing them continually. Its all very boring now. I get the impression that even if the ground was full every week and we were playing like Fulham or Wolves, BIS and others would still be spouting off about some other issues and blaming it all on the rebrand. I enjoy watching City, however they play, Even when playing poorly we have scored some excellent goals and won 26 games - more than when we went up under Mackay. How we play at this time of the season is irrelevent as long as we pick up points. Surely you should have learnt that from your time following City all those years ago. If you think that the football was more enjoyable then than now then you are the one who is deluded.

Well said, I can`t help thinking it`s the same bloke using different user names ? Why ??????????????????
    Just move on FFS. I thought all this negativity with Vinnie was past it`s sell by date on here and we were all fans ?

Quote Originally Posted by soulsurfer3 View Post
    Well said, I can`t help thinking it`s the same bloke using different user names ? Why ??????????????????
    Just move on FFS. I thought all this negativity with Vinnie was past it`s sell by date on here and we were all fans ?
    If you have no interest in the subject, why don't you move on as opposed to telling other people what they can and can't post about? There are loads of threads on this board. Why choose this one to contribute to?????????????????

If you have no interest in the subject, why don't you move on as opposed to telling other people what they can and can't post about? There are loads of threads on this board. Why choose this one to contribute to?????????????????
    Because I can, feel free to do the same. Try something positive you might like it, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by soulsurfer3 View Post
    Because I can, feel free to do the same. Try something positive you might like it, but I doubt it.
    Out of interest, how often do you attend City games these days?