+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Crowds

Re: Crowds

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    If you have no interest in the subject, why don't you move on as opposed to telling other people what they can and can't post about? There are loads of threads on this board. Why choose this one to contribute to?????????????????
    Bloody hell

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Maybe its because of a bunch of grown men are still crying over another man making a mistake by changing a football club's shirt colour for two years?
    Can't be that. According to the great and good of this message board, the re-brand is done and dusted and has no effect on current attendances. Indeed, according to some it never did.

Out of interest, how often do you attend City games these days?
    NEVER because of my illness , Why ?

The fact is City have been playing like this for the majority of the season. After the early fireworks, the football has generally been a poor spectacle. It hasn't changed significantly in recent weeks. It's just as it has been for months.

How the team plays is irrelevant to you and other diehard supporters like you. I fully understand that. I used to be just like you in that respect. But when you're not a diehard City supporter, as is the case for the vast majority of the population of South Wales, then how the team plays is relevant. Football is a form of entertainment and unfortunately the current side simply doesn't entertain on any kind of a regular basis. The players are organised, strong, committed and have great spirit, but the team has very little flair and is generally tedious to watch. That, in my opinion, is the single biggest factor behind the current level of attendances.
    Just as an example, what about the Leeds away game ?. That was on Feb 3rd and was an excellent performance. How about the Sunderland home game in mid Feb or the Brentford away game last month. You see what you want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by soulsurfer3 View Post
    NEVER because of my illness , Why ?
    I was wondering why you seem so upset by the opinions of others, especially as the subject is poor crowds, which City's undoubtedly are. I simply wondered how your average matchday experience was this season.

I was wondering why you seem so upset by the opinions of others, especially as the subject is poor crowds, which City's undoubtedly are. I simply wondered how your average matchday experience was this season.
    Well I am sure you will have formed your own opinion of that. I support the club any way I can, and still love it, unlike you.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Just as an example, what about the Leeds away game ?. That was on Feb 3rd and was an excellent performance. How about the Sunderland home game in mid Feb or the Brentford away game last month. You see what you want to see.
    Like the vast majority of football fans in South Wales, I didn't see the Leeds away game. I did see the first half of the Sunderland game. It was a very poor spectacle, so I turned off at half-time. The Brentford game was a good one and a fine away performance from City after looking like they'd be defeated comfortably before Bamba's spectacular equaliser.

In truth. most of City's performances in live Sky games this season have been poor at best. They've managed to grind out results in most of them but it hasn't been good watch. That's what the average football fan in this area sees and I believe that's the major reason why attendances have been so poor. If you disagree with that assessment, then what's your take? Why do you think City currently sit 14th in the table of average league attendances this season despite being second in the league and on the verge of promotion?

A thread was started regarding poor crowd numbers but nobody is allowed to give their insight into why this may be the case without being shouted down..?

I can only speak for myself, during the red bollox I grew tired of the inter-fan bickering and the largely unchallenged acceptance of the situation, it was at this point I realised I was just "a customer" and "if I didnt like it I could be replaced", well I didn't like it, I didn't like the match day experience, I didn't like a lot of the fans and I stopped posting on here with any regularity. At this point I also stopped attending with any regularity, I am no longer a season ticket holder but I do attend when I feel like it, as a means of entertainment and a day out with my daughter, this is maybe 5-6 games a season, at one point I attended every home game and 80% of away games, I wasn't there last night, feel free to vilify me for that

Quote Originally Posted by soulsurfer3 View Post
    Well I am sure you will have formed your own opinion of that. I support the club any way I can, and still love it, unlike you.
    A few weeks ago, I bumped into an old mate I used to got to school with. We used to go to home games together when were youngsters and travelled away together regularly too. He still attends home games reasonably regularly. He continued to support the club throughout the re-brand fiasco.

We got to talking about City and he said he hadn't been to watch them since the 1-0 victory over Middlesbrough in February. He said the game was awful to watch and the atmosphere was flat. He said he was in no rush to go back as it simply wasn't enjoyable.

City were second at the time and unbeaten in five games. The match report on the BBC website said: "Neither side was able to keep possession or attack fluently in a disjointed first half, with efforts on goal largely limited to long-range strikes from Hoilett and Boro's Adama Traore. Predictably, it was a set-piece which led to the goal. Hoilett whipped in a deep, in-swinging free-kick towards the back post, where Morrison rose to glance in his second headed goal in a week. Cardiff had beaten Bolton here four days earlier with two goals from set-pieces and this was another functional, professional display."

That's how it's been for months. Functional, hard-working, committed performances from the players, but very little fluency or flair, with most goals coming from set-pieces. As I said earlier, I think the manager and his staff have done an amazing job with the squad they have at their disposal, but it's not been entertaining or exciting for anyone other than diehard supporters who are happy as long as their team win.

Like the vast majority of football fans in South Wales, I didn't see the Leeds away game. I did see the first half of the Sunderland game. It was a very poor spectacle, so I turned off at half-time. The Brentford game was a good one and a fine away performance from City after looking like they'd be defeated comfortably before Bamba's spectacular equaliser.

In truth. most of City's performances in live Sky games this season have been poor at best. They've managed to grind out results in most of them but it hasn't been good watch. That's what the average football fan in this area sees and I believe that's the major reason why attendances have been so poor. If you disagree with that assessment, then what's your take? Why do you think City currently sit 14th in the table of average league attendances this season despite being second in the league and on the verge of promotion?
    I have given 'my take' on Cities attendances this season on a number of occasions in recent months. Suffice it to say that, given what has gone before over the last three years, I consider that an average gate of just under 20000 currently is good and shows that fans are gradually returning. Nothing to do with the rebrand either. Whats your take on Fulham then - 3rd in the table, 22 games unbeaten, London based, playing like Barcelona every week and only 13th in the average attendance table with a home crowd of no more than 17000 every week and an average of only 200 more than ours. I dont hear any of their fans criticising and saying how 'piss poor' that is.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Looked very poor on sky. Not the huge boost that's been suggested here anyway.
    Sorry but you two are both wrong on this occasion. Brentford were allocated over 4000 tickets for the recent Fulham game and two days before the match had sold over 2500, so my estimate of about 3000 at the game was about right. This confirms that only about 17800 home fans attended, which I am sure you will agree, is 'piss poor' for a club in their position and worse than our recent attendances. The figures are taken from the Brentford website by the way, in case anyone thinks that I have made them up.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Whats your take on Fulham then - 3rd in the table, 22 games unbeaten, London based, playing like Barcelona every week and only 13th in the average attendance table with a home crowd of no more than 17000 every week and an average of only 200 more than ours. I dont hear any of their fans criticising and saying how 'piss poor' that is.
    I think your claim that their home crowd is no more than 17,000 each week is garbage. For instance, in January they had 19,003 for game against Burton. You reckon Burton took 2,000 to Craven Cottage? I don't.

Historically, Fulham are not a big club and I don't believe they have the potential to be one either. The difference is that in City's case attendances have very clearly dropped from then levels they were a few years back despite the team gaining better results. Most people would expect Cardiff's attendances to be higher than they are and I know that applies to you. After all, you were predicting a crowd of 23,000 to 25,000 last night only 48 hours ago.

You'd swear we had been averaging 50k every other week our attendance has stayed about the same for the last 10 years imo

A few weeks ago, I bumped into an old mate I used to got to school with. We used to go to home games together when were youngsters and travelled away together regularly too. He still attends home games reasonably regularly. He continued to support the club throughout the re-brand fiasco.

We got to talking about City and he said he hadn't been to watch them since the 1-0 victory over Middlesbrough in February. He said the game was awful to watch and the atmosphere was flat. He said he was in no rush to go back as it simply wasn't enjoyable.

City were second at the time and unbeaten in five games. The match report on the BBC website said: "Neither side was able to keep possession or attack fluently in a disjointed first half, with efforts on goal largely limited to long-range strikes from Hoilett and Boro's Adama Traore. Predictably, it was a set-piece which led to the goal. Hoilett whipped in a deep, in-swinging free-kick towards the back post, where Morrison rose to glance in his second headed goal in a week. Cardiff had beaten Bolton here four days earlier with two goals from set-pieces and this was another functional, professional display."

That's how it's been for months. Functional, hard-working, committed performances from the players, but very little fluency or flair, with most goals coming from set-pieces. As I said earlier, I think the manager and his staff have done an amazing job with the squad they have at their disposal, but it's not been entertaining or exciting for anyone other than diehard supporters who are happy as long as their team win.
    There's a made up mate story for every situation on here, fair play.

Anyone who knows me (and there are plenty on here) knows full well that I have no need to make anything up to highlight a point. Fair play.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Whilst there are around 350,000 in Cardiff.
    What are you trying to say? the population of London should reflect attendances at Craven Cottage? There's about 180,000 people living in the Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, flanked by Brentford to the west and QPR to the north, a relatively quick tube ride away is the Emirates.

How would you compare Malky's promotion side for entertainment value out of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    What are you trying to say? the population of London should reflect attendances at Craven Cottage? There's about 180,000 people living in the Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, flanked by Brentford to the west and QPR to the north, a relatively quick tube ride away is the Emirates.
    Forgot to add Chelsea, which is a mile or so up Lille road from Craven Cottage, and is actually in Fulham.

Indeed.

Like the "mate" sending a text our play was "almost legal cheating".

What are the odds on someone having "mates" who never seem to mention anything positive whatsoever?

Can't be that. According to the great and good of this message board, the re-brand is done and dusted and has no effect on current attendances. Indeed, according to some it never did.

Initially, the rebrand had little effect on attendances in that they still increased from the season before, though it is undeniable that that our average attendances in that first season in red would have been higher still had the rebrand not happened. For those who left, there were new fans ready to replace them. Not initially, but as the club moved to the top of the table and didn't look remotely like letting automatic promotion slip away, crowds grew as to be expected. We nigh on sold out every league game in the top flight as you'd expect, rebrand or not.

The problems with the rebrand came after relegation. Crowds in the first season back in the Championship were down by a similar percentage that relegated clubs tend to see, then as we failed to look remotely like getting back to the top division, crowds plummetted further. I reckon much of this was down to people buying season tickets when we were in the Premier League for the following season, then as it was clear we wouldn't be mounting any promotion challenge soon during the 2014/15 season, many decided not to bother again. Those former die-hards who had boycotted the club because of the rebrand would have been there had the rebrand not happened, so the effect was probably felt most in 2015/16 when our average attendance dropped to below 16.5k.

Success is the quickest way to get fans through the turnstyles. I reckon decades of stability in the top echelons are needed to produce a large fan base of die-hards. The rebrand certainly hit that.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    You'd swear we had been averaging 50k every other week our attendance has stayed about the same for the last 10 years imo
    The last two occasions City were seriously challenging for automatic promotion, the last but one home attendances were:

26,058 - 2011 v QPR
    26,588 - 2013 v Nottingham Forest

No doubt being live on Sky had an impact on last night's attendance, but enough to drop 5,000 off the gate?

The last two occasions City were seriously challenging for automatic promotion, the last but one home attendances were:

26,058 - 2011 v QPR

No doubt being live on Sky had an impact on last night's attendance, but enough to drop 5,000 off the gate?
    It would be easy to pick 2 what has been the average over the last 10 years I don't see it being much different

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    How would you compare Malky's promotion side for entertainment value out of interest?
    I thought they were pretty dire but got shot down in flames on here when I dared to suggest they had won promotion by attrition. Even Steve Borley had a go at me for that.

To be honest, I didn't see a great deal that team. I wasn't taking anywhere near as much as interest. I didn't see any games in the flesh and I only watched two or three on Sky. That team did have the likes of Bellamy, Whittingham, Kim, Noone, Conway, Mutch and Smith, who were all capable of producing some exciting stuff. This team seems only to have Hoillett, Zohore (when he's in the game) and Mendez-Laing (when he's on form). To say it lacks flair is an understatement.

26,058 - 2011 v QPR

Plus the Wolves game was seen as a much bigger game.

More attractive to the casual fan.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Indeed.

Like the "mate" sending a text our play was "almost legal cheating".

He posts on here, but will no doubt keep it to himself, which is wise given the way any kind of alternative opinion is greeted.