+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Crowds

Re: Crowds

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    A few weeks ago we had a fantastic away performance on Sky vs Brentford and that had a lot of people talking about coming to see us again. Unfortunately the next 3 on Sky we didn't win and played poorly overall, maybe that had an effect on the waverers.
    Undoubtedly. Regardless of what some of the diehards claim, it's often been tedious to watch if you're not a fanatic who just wants your team to win. City take it to extremes at times, the Morrison/Gunnarson throw-in routine being the clearest example, but in fairness the overall quality of the Championship this season hasn't been good. It's certainly not just City that have been tough to watch.

Wolves are excellent at times, as are Fulham, and Brentford play some really good football. However, Villa are generally surprisingly poor to watch given the players they have available to them and Derby are usually boring beyond belief, as are Middlesbrough. There are some big clubs in the section this year but it's been far from vintage in football terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Hilarious. He should have his own game show.
    He's got a better sense of humour than you, that's for sure.....

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Indeed.

Like the "mate" sending a text our play was "almost legal cheating".

What are the odds on someone having "mates" who never seem to mention anything positive whatsoever?
    That was me! Maybe a bit strong, but to put it a better way, we spoil, play percentages and wallop the ball long, turn defenders and hope they **** up, it isn't cheating, but absolutely shite to watch at times-everything long...........even throw ins... But, we keep getting results through this style of play and are on the verge of promotion. I've enjoyed the most part of this season, but can't get my head around how we've achieved this. I can honestly say that I've never seen a team in this position play so poorly, or attempt not to play, like a boxer who holds and spoils because the other fighter is more gifted, has better movement, footwork etc, but gets the job done with a style of tactics that is difficult to watch or understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That was me!
    You've done it now....

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Undoubtedly. Regardless of what some of the diehards claim, it's often been tedious to watch if you're not a fanatic who just wants your team to win. City take it to extremes at times, the Morrison/Gunnarson throw-in routine being the clearest example, but in fairness the overall quality of the Championship this season hasn't been good. It's certainly not just City that have been tough to watch.

Wolves are excellent at times, as are Fulham, and Brentford play some really good football. However, Villa are generally surprisingly poor to watch given the players they have available to them and Derby are usually boring beyond belief, as are Middlesbrough. There are some big clubs in the section this year but it's been far from vintage in football terms.
    It's scintillating compared to the football under Slade and Trollope when we would go game after game without a shot on goal
    And that followed Old's shocking rubbish.

Our support collapsed after that.

What we have now is not dissimilar to Malkys side.

A lot of people gave up their season tickets after that and the club are having to work hard to try to win them back.

As you know- that's not always easy

That was me! Maybe a bit strong, but to put it a better way, we spoil, play percentages and wallop the ball long, turn defenders and hope they **** up, it isn't cheating, but absolutely shite to watch at times-everything long...........even throw ins... But, we keep getting results through this style of play and are on the verge of promotion. I've enjoyed the most part of this season, but can't get my head around how we've achieved this. I can honestly say that I've never seen a team in this position play so poorly, or attempt not to play, like a boxer who holds and spoils because the other fighter is more gifted, has better movement, footwork etc, but gets the job done with a style of tactics that is difficult to watch or understand.
    Outed yourself as a mate of TLG - brave that!

The problem is people seem to believe that football can only really be achieved by the Guardiola tippy tappy style. I disagree - end result is winning games, there are many different styles in achieving that goal. I always enjoyed the old British style - quick wingers with great delivery, battering ram of a center forward bullying central defenders. Horses for courses.

People rave about Fulham - and they do play some great stuff. Being honest certainly the last two game they rode their luck, defence was ripped apart by Brentford and Millwall who failed to take their chances. What Warnock has done which has probably influenced peoples view is to not concentrate on possession for possession's sake. Look at Fulham - Millwall first half - Fulham 71% possession, 4 shots off target 0 on. Millwall with 29% of the ball had 5 off target, 3 on.

We're effective at the style of play we're using. We're tight defensively, whenever Bamba isn't passing across the pitch to opposition players. Do we look to turn defenders, sure - defenders hate running back towards own goal. We've the players to play that way in Hoilett/Zohore/Mendez-Laing etc. It would be pointless keeping the ball, allowing defences to reset and not using the pace on the attack that we have.

Warnock's style isn't good nor bad, it's effective for the squad that we have. We let teams do little to nothing that hurts with the ball then counter. Do that in the Prem and it's lauded as the "right" approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    We’ll he was in a minority of 1 if he walked away feeling short changed at what he saw and experienced last night.
    I didn't walk away feeling short changed, I enjoyed the last half hour, we actually opened up a bit and the dynamics changed because we had to chase a goal. I didn't enjoy Forest dancing through us on three or four occasions, the aimless pumped long balls, the continuous throw ins up the line, or our inability to get the ball down and put a passage of play together-that bit is shite.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Birmingham get 23500
    The wurzles get 21100
    Derby get 28000
    Ipswich get 20000
    Leeds 30400
    Wednesday get 24300
    Sunderland (relegated) get 25500

Premier league bound Cardiff get 21300. Shocking really.
    You only contribute to knock the club etc.

I'd have thought you would have given up altogether after the last 4-5 seasons.

Were you delighted with the crowds when we won the Championship in red? No, I didn't think so.

England rugby 2003 world cup winners, I'm not saying we're on par but even Italy in 2006 win the world cup playing to their strengh

Outed yourself as a mate of TLG - brave that!

The problem is people seem to believe that football can only really be achieved by the Guardiola tippy tappy style. I disagree - end result is winning games, there are many different styles in achieving that goal. I always enjoyed the old British style - quick wingers with great delivery, battering ram of a center forward bullying central defenders. Horses for courses.

People rave about Fulham - and they do play some great stuff. Being honest certainly the last two game they rode their luck, defence was ripped apart by Brentford and Millwall who failed to take their chances. What Warnock has done which has probably influenced peoples view is to not concentrate on possession for possession's sake. Look at Fulham - Millwall first half - Fulham 71% possession, 4 shots off target 0 on. Millwall with 29% of the ball had 5 off target, 3 on.

We're effective at the style of play we're using. We're tight defensively, whenever Bamba isn't passing across the pitch to opposition players. Do we look to turn defenders, sure - defenders hate running back towards own goal. We've the players to play that way in Hoilett/Zohore/Mendez-Laing etc. It would be pointless keeping the ball, allowing defences to reset and not using the pace on the attack that we have.

Warnock's style isn't good nor bad, it's effective for the squad that we have. We let teams do little to nothing that hurts with the ball then counter. Do that in the Prem and it's lauded as the "right" approach.
    Good reply, I know most of this, so i'm not going to argue the point with you. I don't want tippy tappy-a passage of controlled play would do me! It's hard going when we concede so much possession. I can't think 0f one team that plays like us who have prospered long term. Maybe Warnock has a plan, everything will change-a needs must approach, although I can't see that happening. Anyway, I've actually enjoyed the season so far, not the football-if we go up, it'll be one of the most magnificent, strangest things that I have ever witnessed.

Valid points and nobody is trying to argue this is free flowing Fulham esque football (joke).

However that only makes this more enjoyable. Under Dave jones it was so tense it must have been horrible to play for us in pressure games at home. Yes we bottled it every time but the atmosphere was never nice. The fans were always ready to have a go.

It doesn’t feel like that this time and I think playing at home helps us. I haven’t always felt that about Cardiff.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that point of view. My mate who I go to games with gets quite offended by and very defensive over some of the comments about our style of play.

I actually think we've done a great job in playing to our natural strengths and developing a style to win games. 26th of the season yesterday. It's frequently not very easy on the eye and sometimes I wonder how we do it, but I don't think we should pretend to be something we're not as we can take a lot of credit for what we are. There are a lot of great qualities about this squad that have made it click this season, if it was easy as it's made to sound sometimes most teams would be doing it.

Good reply, I know most of this, so i'm not going to argue the point with you. I don't want tippy tappy-a passage of controlled play would do me! It's hard going when we concede so much possession. I can't think 0f one team that plays like us who have prospered long term. Maybe Warnock has a plan, everything will change-a needs must approach, although I can't see that happening. Anyway, I've actually enjoyed the season so far, not the football-if we go up, it'll be one of the most magnificent, strangest things that I have ever witnessed.
    For me it just shows why Warnock is a better manager than most - gets the best out of his players. For me, our success has been based upon our defence. Open up and teams will expose our back four. Tactically we've got far more right than wrong - for example against Wolves playing at times 6 at the back stifled Wolves' strength of their wingbacks getting forward. As a result all night they were playing in front of our defence, which is easier to deal with. Took a quality free kick and 2 penalty misses for them to beat us so I'd say the approach there was vindicated somewhat,

The corollary of the possession issue is that we're creating far more than we should based upon the limited possesion that we're enjoying. Or not enjoying...

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    It's scintillating compared to the football under Slade and Trollope when we would go game after game without a shot on goal
    And that followed Old's shocking rubbish.

Our support collapsed after that.

What we have now is not dissimilar to Malkys side.

A lot of people gave up their season tickets after that and the club are having to work hard to try to win them back.

As you know- that's not always easy
    It's certainly more dynamic than under slade and Trollope. As you know, i'm not the biggest fan of our style of play, but I wouldn't deny that if we had tried a more refined approach then we wouldn't even be in the play-offs. It's very industrial, yet it's working for now. In a strange kind of way, maybe it's what the club needed, devoid of any character and bland, Warnock has given us something to talk about, and the fans a purpose, we know that the team isn't going to give in. I just don't think it's the long term solution.

The problem is people seem to believe that football can only really be achieved by the Guardiola tippy tappy style. I disagree - end result is winning games, there are many different styles in achieving that goal.
    I think most people fully appreciate that there are any number of ways of winning a game of football, and most fans of the game will admire the job Warnock has done here with relatively limited resources. It's truly remarkable. His team is big, physically strong, organised, committed and has terrific spirit. All of that is admirable. However, by and large his team is simply not entertaining to watch either for the neutral or the occasional supporter. The football it tends to play is very basic and involves little by way of skill or individual flair.

That, in my opinion at least, is the biggest reason why this season's attendances have been relatively poor. Even Warnock himself has complained about them. I believe the neutrals who just like to watch the occasional game of football or the occasional fans who support the club but are not diehards are not attracted by most of what they've seen of City this season, hence the crowd levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    How are you going Bobby - I assume your boycott is lasting longer than Ken's 4 game protest
    I should hope so, cracking day/night out yesterday mind.

I mistook this post for TLG

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Valid points and nobody is trying to argue this is free flowing Fulham esque football (joke).

However that only makes this more enjoyable. Under Dave jones it was so tense it must have been horrible to play for us in pressure games at home. Yes we bottled it every time but the atmosphere was never nice. The fans were always ready to have a go.

It doesn’t feel like that this time and I think playing at home helps us. I haven’t always felt that about Cardiff.
    Fair enough, I understand where you're coming from. I one described our style of play to that of a pretty naff action movie, you know it's a bit rubbish at times, the plot is basic, and goes against the more artistic side to your character-yet you can't take your eyes of it! Up the City!

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    I mistook this post for TLG
    I'm not surprised by that. After all, you're not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with that point of view. My mate who I go to games with gets quite offended by and very defensive over some of the comments about our style of play.

I actually think we've done a great job in playing to our natural strengths and developing a style to win games. 26th of the season yesterday. It's frequently not very easy on the eye and sometimes I wonder how we do it, but I don't think we should pretend to be something we're not as we can take a lot of credit for what we are. There are a lot of great qualities about this squad that have made it click this season, if it was easy as it's made to sound sometimes most teams would be doing it.
    Great post, well reasoned. It isn't easy holding the opinion that I do on times, people get very defensive and sometimes abusive on here, I don't think that i'm dismissive, and do try to point out the positives.

I like Warnock's style

Big and strong all over the pitch , bully sides and scare them

Midfield hardmen in the Willie Boland , Paul Ramsay style

Sod all this diamond formation nonsense

Get stuck into them stop them playing

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I like Warnock's style

Big and strong all over the pitch , bully sides and scare them

Midfield hardmen in the Willie Boland , Paul Ramsay sty

Sod all this diamond formation nonsense

Get stuck into them stop them playing

Quote Originally Posted by walinoz View Post

Big keeper , big back four , strong hard running ball winners in the middle a bit of pace up front

Sorted

Football has been complicated by all the analysis we see on the telly

I would love Warnock to take us up and for us to be described as a pub team etc

Bring it on

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Big keeper , big back four , strong hard running ball winners in the middle a bit of pace up front

Sorted

Football has been complicated by all the analysis we see on the telly

I would love Warnock to take us up and for us to be described as a pub team etc

Bring it on
    A bit of old school football early this season and quite refreshing it was too after the crap served up by ole Slade and Trollope
    I don’t buy into all the analysis and stats based on possesssion
    The only stat I’m interested in is attempts on goal, which we do pretty well at considering our lack of possession , and the final result

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I think most people fully appreciate that there are any number of ways of winning a game of football, and most fans of the game will admire the job Warnock has done here with relatively limited resources. It's truly remarkable. His team is big, physically strong, organised, committed and has terrific spirit. All of that is admirable. However, by and large his team is simply not entertaining to watch either for the neutral or the occasional supporter. The football it tends to play is very basic and involves little by way of skill or individual flair.

That, in my opinion at least, is the biggest reason why this season's attendances have been relatively poor. Even Warnock himself has complained about them. I believe the neutrals who just like to watch the occasional game of football or the occasional fans who support the club but are not diehards are not attracted by most of what they've seen of City this season, hence the crowd levels.
    The thing that gets me here is that you continually state that you are a fan of the team but invariably post in a negative manner about the club, team and Neil Warnock, particularly in relation to attendance and ownership issues. You do not take any notice of the alternative views/arguments that are put forward to you and just totally ignore them, continually stating that attendances are low because of the rebrand/Tans ownership and now the way the team is playing. You wont accept any other explanations, so discussing things with you is a total waste of time.