+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Crowds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Crowds

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Fulham get 3-4000 away fans at the vast majority of their home matches.

Boosts their average attendance dramatically
    Let's be fair we haven't got a club anywhere near us to compete with how many clubs are in London?

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Let's be fair we haven't got a club anywhere near us to compete with how many clubs are in London?
    And how many people are in London?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    And how many people are in London?
    8.8 million

Whilst there are around 350,000 in Cardiff.

A quick point I’d like to make about the missing 1,000’s
    Mate of mine who is city through and through
    Been going down Through all the dross yet this season He’s only been down no more than 5 times home and away , I don’t get it
    Yesterday for example I was out with aload of my mates who are rugby boys. We went to the blues game and were out all day watching rugby with Llanelli scarlets after the blues game
    I tried my best to get them to come down the city with me but they were having none of it saying it’s on the telly anyway and we’ll watch it in the pub. That fact it was on the telly on a Saturday night would have had an effect on our crowd but With the noise we made you wouldn’t have thought it
    **** em anyway
    If you don’t go down yourself then don’t come on here moaning about our crowds

What a ****ing arsehole you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    That's absolutely fine - of course you hold the moral high ground over me having boycotted after the play-off failure in 2012
    And you've been bitter ever since. Perhaps your moniker should be "Bitterest ex-Cardiff fan in history".

Fortunately few give your bile the audience it doesn't merit.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Thank you for your concern. These really are troubled times. It's great that someone who has the nobility to not attend matches and bitch about anything perceivably negative attached to the club can take time out of their day to post here and make us all aware of our folly.

What with being 6 point away form the worlds richest league and having broken the stadium record for a Cardiff City match both in the league and cup in recent months, it's really great that there is at least one voice of reason on here, you should be very proud of yourself. You don't sound like a complete knob at all.

After all you probably only do it, selflessly, out of your honourable deep concerns for the way the club is heading and to try and save us foolish enough to give our continued support from the disastrous long term effects of VT's reign..

I think it's difficult for us sellout fans to see past the success sometimes and realise how much better it would be, even if we had to battle in the lower leagues for sometime and await, maybe forever, a local hero benefactor such as what Swansea once had.. At least we'd have the truly passionate and principled people such as yourself at the ground week in, week out... We really seem to be going to hell in a handbasket right now, I mean, we'd be doing so much better right now without the likes of VT, right?

Or maybe your'e just a c unt..?
    What a post

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    We lost 5000 in a couple of weeks - so no.

Floating fans may go to Swansea and in catchment areas Swansea will pick up new younger fans if they are PL and we are not. However long term Swansea will go back down.

I know several long term Jack fans who throughout their school years were Jack fans but switched allegiance.

One I had known for years and hated Cardiff. I was stunned when I saw down the CCS.

Ive asked one why and they said it was a better laugh hanging around with Cardiff. This was pre-Jack promotion mind so they may be regretting it.
    What the ****ing ****

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    One other interesting fact for BIS (and others) is that Fulhams average home gate is only marginally better than ours (19808 v 19604) and they are the best team in Europe currently. They got 20877 last week for the local Derby with Brentford (who must have taken at least 3000) i.e. 500 less than our attendance last night where Forest brought less than 1000. Now that is piss poor for a big London team playing such good football and chasing automatic promotion who havent lost for 22 games. How about having a go at them instead ?. Their home support each week must be 17000 max.
    I thought the Brentford crowd looked piss poor.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I thought the Brentford crowd looked piss poor.
    Me too. There didn't look to be more than around 800 there at best. I was surprised how few they took considering the small distance involved.

I don't know anyone who ever went down the City because of the quality of football.

I remember Boxing Day 1998 whenjohn Williams tripped up stumbled and somehow forced the ball over the line on an extremely pissy day.

It was up there with Carlos Alberto’s goal
    In the 1970 World Cup final😂😂😂

The point being is that anyone who says the standard of football being played is particularly dreadful and a reason to stay away from previous years is talking Shite when we’ve been a lower league club for so many years.

The rebrand was utter nonsense but we survived it and here we are now.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    The point being is that anyone who says the standard of football being played is particularly dreadful and a reason to stay away from previous years is talking Shite.
    The crowds must be poor for some other reason, then. Maybe it's the weather?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The crowds must be poor for some other reason, then. Maybe it's the weather?
    Maybe its because a bunch of grown men are still crying over another man making a mistake by changing a football club's shirt colour for two years?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Maybe its because of a bunch of grown men are still crying over another man making a mistake by changing a football club's shirt colour for two years?
    Can't be that. According to the great and good of this message board, the re-brand is done and dusted and has no effect on current attendances. Indeed, according to some it never did.

Can't be that. According to the great and good of this message board, the re-brand is done and dusted and has no effect on current attendances. Indeed, according to some it never did.

Initially, the rebrand had little effect on attendances in that they still increased from the season before, though it is undeniable that that our average attendances in that first season in red would have been higher still had the rebrand not happened. For those who left, there were new fans ready to replace them. Not initially, but as the club moved to the top of the table and didn't look remotely like letting automatic promotion slip away, crowds grew as to be expected. We nigh on sold out every league game in the top flight as you'd expect, rebrand or not.

The problems with the rebrand came after relegation. Crowds in the first season back in the Championship were down by a similar percentage that relegated clubs tend to see, then as we failed to look remotely like getting back to the top division, crowds plummetted further. I reckon much of this was down to people buying season tickets when we were in the Premier League for the following season, then as it was clear we wouldn't be mounting any promotion challenge soon during the 2014/15 season, many decided not to bother again. Those former die-hards who had boycotted the club because of the rebrand would have been there had the rebrand not happened, so the effect was probably felt most in 2015/16 when our average attendance dropped to below 16.5k.

Success is the quickest way to get fans through the turnstyles. I reckon decades of stability in the top echelons are needed to produce a large fan base of die-hards. The rebrand certainly hit that.

Indeed, just mentioning the possibility that Tan and the rebrand has had a long term effect on attendances is greeted by the scientific response "you must be a Jack 'en"

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    I remember Boxing Day 1998 whenjohn Williams tripped up stumbled and somehow forced the ball over the line on an extremely pissy day.

It was up there with Carlos Alberto’s goal
    In the 1970 World Cup final😂😂😂

The point being is that anyone who says the standard of football being played is particularly dreadful and a reason to stay away from previous years is talking Shite when we’ve been a lower league club for so many years.

The rebrand was utter nonsense but we survived it and here we are now.
    we have not been a lower league side for over 15 years, in that time we've been to two cup finals and Play offs twice, the premier league, a billionaire owner and new stadium, to compare the expectations of fans nearly twenty years ago to now is wrong in my opinion. On the back of that progress, we've gained new fans, and those fans that are below thirty have seen progress and their expectations are probably higher due to this.

Me too. There didn't look to be more than around 800 there at best. I was surprised how few they took considering the small distance involved.
    Looked very poor on sky. Not the huge boost that's been suggested here anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Looked very poor on sky. Not the huge boost that's been suggested here anyway.
    Sorry but you two are both wrong on this occasion. Brentford were allocated over 4000 tickets for the recent Fulham game and two days before the match had sold over 2500, so my estimate of about 3000 at the game was about right. This confirms that only about 17800 home fans attended, which I am sure you will agree, is 'piss poor' for a club in their position and worse than our recent attendances. The figures are taken from the Brentford website by the way, in case anyone thinks that I have made them up.

If you have no interest in the subject, why don't you move on as opposed to telling other people what they can and can't post about? There are loads of threads on this board. Why choose this one to contribute to?????????????????
    Bloody hell

A thread was started regarding poor crowd numbers but nobody is allowed to give their insight into why this may be the case without being shouted down..?

I can only speak for myself, during the red bollox I grew tired of the inter-fan bickering and the largely unchallenged acceptance of the situation, it was at this point I realised I was just "a customer" and "if I didnt like it I could be replaced", well I didn't like it, I didn't like the match day experience, I didn't like a lot of the fans and I stopped posting on here with any regularity. At this point I also stopped attending with any regularity, I am no longer a season ticket holder but I do attend when I feel like it, as a means of entertainment and a day out with my daughter, this is maybe 5-6 games a season, at one point I attended every home game and 80% of away games, I wasn't there last night, feel free to vilify me for that

You'd swear we had been averaging 50k every other week our attendance has stayed about the same for the last 10 years imo

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    You'd swear we had been averaging 50k every other week our attendance has stayed about the same for the last 10 years imo
    The last two occasions City were seriously challenging for automatic promotion, the last but one home attendances were:

26,058 - 2011 v QPR
    26,588 - 2013 v Nottingham Forest

No doubt being live on Sky had an impact on last night's attendance, but enough to drop 5,000 off the gate?