+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Less than 20 yrs ago

Less than 20 yrs ago

We were playing Swansea in the old division 3.
    If someone had predicted that day, that in less than 20yrs Cardiff City would play at Wembley 4 times, including an FA cup semi final, Fa cup final, league cup final and a championship play off final, spend a season in the top flight, and Swansea would win the league cup at Wembley, and spend several seasons in the top flight, they would almost certainly have been certified!
    With Swansea probably safe this season and us with a golden opportunity to go up again, it really is remarkable how football in Sth Wales has progressed.
    Throw in Wales reaching the semi final in the Euros, and it really has been the stuff that dreams are made of.
    Wonder how the next 20 yrs will pan out.
    Hopefully I’ll be around to see for myself.

Re: Less than 20 yrs ago

I remember we played them in a league game at ninian Park in mid 90s and the crowd was below 4k. Maybe 3700 in about 97? Think that was when dai Thomas scored and took his top off in front of the grandstand.

That crowd was actually double our normal crowds at the time also.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    We were playing Swansea in the old division 3.
    If someone had predicted that day, that in less than 20yrs Cardiff City would play at Wembley 4 times, including an FA cup semi final, Fa cup final, league cup final and a championship play off final, spend a season in the top flight, and Swansea would win the league cup at Wembley, and spend several seasons in the top flight, they would almost certainly have been certified!
    With Swansea probably safe this season and us with a golden opportunity to go up again, it really is remarkable how football in Sth Wales has progressed.
    Throw in Wales reaching the semi final in the Euros, and it really has been the stuff that dreams are made of.
    Wonder how the next 20 yrs will pan out.
    Hopefully I’ll be around to see for myself.
    I first started going down to watch Cardiff in '86. First promotion was '88 after which, as an 11 year old, I thought Cardiff were just 5 years from Division 1. My father quickly lowered my expectations, as did Len Ashurst.

My first cup run (to Round 3) was in '89 when Cardiff were beaten in a replay by QPR. During that run, I had visions of Cardiff getting to Wembley - again, my father quickly lowered those fanciful ideas.

I am pleased that I have seen Cardiff win at Wembley, in a Cup semi-final, and to see Cardiff in an FA Cup Final was beyond my wildest dreams. Then there was the League Cup final - one of the best games I ever watched.

Hoping to, one day, see Cardiff play in the top flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    I remember we played them in a league game at ninian Park in mid 90s and the crowd was below 4k. Maybe 3700 in about 97? Think that was when dai Thomas scored and took his top off in front of the grandstand.

That crowd was actually double our normal crowds at the time also.
    He celebrated at the Canton End - fat bastard, later claiming that as a City fan it was his dream to score at NP. I am fairly sure away fans were banned that day - some of the games without away fans were just dull.