+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our style of football

Our style of football

Win the fecking ball

Simple pass behind the defence

Fecking goal

For example Gunnar last night at beginning of second half , wins ball in midfield , lovely weighted pass to zahore

Lovely chip over the keeper ......hits post and would have gone in nine times out of ten

Simple , effective football

Strong at the back , ball winning midfield players and a goalscorer

Sod all this pretty pretty keep ball bollocks

Re: Our style of football

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Win the fecking ball

Fecking goal

For example Gunnar last night at beginning of second half , wins ball in midfield , lovely weighted pass to zahore

Lovely chip over the keeper ......hits post and would have gone in nine times out of ten

Philistine, real football is all about putting 40 passes together before you get to the halfway line.

Win the fecking ball

Fecking goal

If we go up we will stay up. Im confident of that. Its winning 2 out of 3 thats the difficult bit.

Look at WBA. Changed their style going down. Stoke also.

We were poor for long periods. I have no issue with playing the ball in behind when the pass is on like Gunnarsson's pass for Zohore but we were trying to force it all the time and giving possession away needlessly.

47% prosession home against Forest. 56% pass completion. 39% tackle success.. In the premiership the players will do nothing but chase the ball for 90 minutes. Run them self to the ground. They will get murdered, simple as that. Nothing wrong with the style, but the quality is far away from survival if going up.
    Credit for punching above their weight this season, but it could be hell to pay next year.
    Anyway. All focus on three remaining games, and then maybe Warnock will have a task to do in the summer.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I read this post a couple of times and I’m still not sure what points you’re making and from which perspective you are making them

Is it an un pays negra thing ?

I am saying football is war , let's fecking have it

I have no complaints about this season, our style of play or the possession stats. However, I must admit I am baffled by how easily and needlessly we give the ball away. Every game players in acres of space opt to arbitrarily head the ball back into no man's land when they could just as easily take it down and have a look around. You think they'd want to retain a bit of possession if only to have a rest. I suppose it's working though.

Win the fecking ball

Fecking goal

Your Willie!!! would have loved to have been a part of this team

Before Christmas, we were playing some very good football, with Hoillet and Mendez given lots of freedom to attack down the wings, and generally more expansive football, then what happened is we overachieved massively and realised that it may be possible to get Auto's after that our mindset changed to get the job done at all costs.

I actually believe that if promoted with little pressure to achieve much, our style should improve, Warnock has nothing against playing 'good' football his QPR team were certainly geared towards being a footballing side.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Your Willie!!! would have loved to have been a part of this team
    Boland , Paul Ramsay , Bonner , workhorses

Win the fecking ball

Fecking goal

The piece of play you highlight is hardly representative of our style of football though - that was football from last season and earlier this season under Warnock. That pass played to Zohore's strengths whereas most of the stuff we play up to him is in the air - when people call for Madine's inclusion it makes some sense because he is better at getting his head on the type of pass, or hoof, which has become increasingly frequent from us as the season has gone on.

We are not playing well. We do little more than hoof the ball but fortunately we are winning. Our football a couple of months ago was far better to watch but I do agree that passing the ball sideways and backwards which many other teams employ is even worse to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    We are not playing well. We do little more than hoof the ball but fortunately we are winning. Our football a couple of months ago was far better to watch but I do agree that passing the ball sideways and backwards which many other teams employ is even worse to watch.
    It's not a couple of months ago. The football declined after the Leeds home game.
    It's ridiculous to be unhappy though cos Warnock has done a wonderful job and what he has done is similar to a team like Everton challenging Man City for the title this season.

City do look poor for long periods of time and often look like the away side when at home. It's more often than not that teams outpass us and play better football. We are fortunate that the standard of finishing in this division is pretty poor and we seem to make the most of our own chances. What is indeed laudable is that Warnock has done it on a relatively tight budget and by motivating a collection of mainly unremarkable players into a determined and successful unit. If we get promotion and if we can sign some creative passing we could improve considerably.

I think the main thing we are missing is a Cairney or Neves type player in the middle - a younger Whitts would be good too. We seem to have everything else we need except the passing ability

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I think the main thing we are missing is a Cairney or Neves type player in the middle - a younger Whitts would be good too. We seem to have everything else we need except the passing ability
    I disagree mate. Warnock deliberately plays without this type of player. If we had a Neves or a Ryan Woods we would bypass him as this is what our game is based on.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I disagree mate. Warnock deliberately plays without this type of player. If we had a Neves or a Ryan Woods we would bypass him as this is what our game is based on.
    Not sure about that. We still have a lot of play goes through midfield in a match even though our midfield don't really create that well. I think if we had more technical ability in there we'd find it easier to get our widemen into play and then more would go through the middle even if it was still moved forward quickly - which I don't think will change and I wouldn't want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Not sure about that. We still have a lot of play goes through midfield in a match even though our midfield don't really create that well. I think if we had more technical ability in there we'd find it easier to get our widemen into play and then more would go through the middle even if it was still moved forward quickly - which I don't think will change and I wouldn't want it to.
    Warnock's midfielders tend to move up and down in straight lines whereas a Woods or a Neves tend to play horizontally. Cairney would be a great addition to any squad and he doesn't perform the above role at Fulham as that is left to Kevin McDonald.

Warnock's midfielders tend to move up and down in straight lines whereas a Woods or a Neves tend to play horizontally. Cairney would be a great addition to any squad and he doesn't perform the above role at Fulham as that is left to Kevin McDonald.
    I don't disagree with what you're saying. I just wonder if the way the midfield works is due to the players he has available to him or because that's actually what he wants. NW is no mug and will know what is needed to be able to compete to stay up in the Prem IF we get promoted. I'm sure he'll recognise we'll need to retain the ball better or we'll get slaughtered.

Although I've heard him say "never again" as a kind of joke, Warnock showed at QPR that he was prepared to adjust his approach to incorporate a talented maverick and they were promoted with Tarrabt probably the player of that Championship season in 10/11. However, I agree with you in that I'm not sure our manager would be prepared to do something similar with a central midfield player and so I just don't seen him being in the market for a Cairney type player if we go up. Judging by what has been said about Burnley being our role model if we get to the Premier League, I would expect us to have a more of the same approach when it came to recruitment with the emphasis being on finding players who are a bit better than what we have got - I wouldn't be surprised to see us looking at Championship sides and the teams relegated from the Premier League when it comes to new players if we are promoted.