+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it all about Derby?

Re: Is it all about Derby?

While we COULD beat Hull and Reading I think beating Derby is the key to autos. If we don’t beat Derby I don’t think we’ll beat Hull either as they’re on a great run at present.

Exciting end to the season and a memorable game against Reading coming up whatever results happen beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    While we COULD beat Hull and Reading I think beating Derby is the key to autos. If we don’t beat Derby I don’t think we’ll beat Hull either as they’re on a great run at present.

Exciting end to the season and a memorable game against Reading coming up whatever results happen beforehand.
    Hull were beaten in their last home game. I don't get this attitude that says we have to win tomorrow. We could lose 10-0, but still only need to do what we have done in our last two matches in the couple which follow to be promoted - that is beat sides who, probably, will have nothing to play for.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Hull were beaten in their last home game. I don't get this attitude that says we have to win tomorrow. We could lose 10-0, but still only need to do what we have done in our last two matches in the couple which follow to be promoted - that is beat sides who, probably, will have nothing to play for.
    That's why I always say we need to win, not have to win. Why mess about and maybe end up having to win our last two games!

Hi Bob

I think if we don't win tomorrow that the pressure on us to win at Hull will mean we make too many mistakes. It's not based only on Hull's recent performances.

Hull were beaten in their last home game.
    Yes they were but Sheff Wed were fortunate given the brief highlights.

Hull have the ability now to score at will. A win there would be harder than one tomorrow but LBH each has its challenges especially as Derby now have their "stars" back and will be eying up points for their play off position.

Playing teams with nothing to play for has its dangers; the opposition are free from pressure and will want to put on a good show in their last home game of the season for their fans.

(Incidentally I recall City winning at the old Boothberry Park late in the season unexpectedly to aid escape from relegation in 76-77 season.)

IMO tomorrow is a must win game with City having to be ultra positive and go for the jugular not sit back and wait for something to happen. Something different from the long throws and aerial bombardment to Zahore which Keogh and Davies will easily cope with. Needs something more tactically adept like eg Madine and Paterson softening up before bringing on Zahore on the hour?

Hope Peltier is fit as Manga is too exposed at right back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    Yes they were but Sheff Wed were fortunate given the brief highlights.

Hull have the ability now to score at will. A win there would be harder than one tomorrow but LBH each has its challenges especially as Derby now have their "stars" back and will be eying up points for their play off position.

Playing teams with nothing to play for has its dangers; the opposition are free from pressure and will want to put on a good show in their last home game of the season for their fans.

(Incidentally I recall City winning at the old Boothberry Park late in the season unexpectedly to aid escape from relegation in 76-77 season.)

IMO tomorrow is a must win game with City having to be ultra positive and go for the jugular not sit back and wait for something to happen. Something different from the long throws and aerial bombardment to Zahore which Keogh and Davies will easily cope with. Needs something more tactically adept like eg Madine and Paterson softening up before bringing on Zahore on the hour?

Hope Peltier is fit as Manga is too exposed at right back.
    I agree we need to start Madine tomorrow, much the same way he played well and softened up Norwich for Zohore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    Agreed, but thought Ken played great on Saturday night - he has finally worked out how to play in this league.

I cant see past a draw in this game, Derby wont want to lose it, same for us. Neither will go all out. Derby seem a bit frail, where as, we tend to be the team that want to wreck everyones party.

Assuming we and Fulham draw all our games then on the final day we will have 88 and Fulham 86. They will have to win, BUT if they win and we draw then it will be even on points - then Goal Difference - Fulham are 4 up on us - could be a problem.
    Think when Ken turns a defender and has a run in he looks dangerous every single time. If we lump balls up to him then he doesn't look the player we know he can be.

I think he could do damage in half hour against a softened up defence.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    So a draw at derby and 2 wins is of no use to us?
    He said we need 2 wins. Without them draws are no use.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    He said we need 2 wins. Without them draws are no use.
    Thanks for that captain obvious.

Think when Ken turns a defender and has a run in he looks dangerous every single time. If we lump balls up to him then he doesn't look the player we know he can be.

I think he could do damage in half hour against a softened up defence.
    This is when Ken is at his best, or when the ball is played into his forward run, particularly in the box.

If it were down to me Madine would never start ahead of a fully fit Ken, but that’s why our Neil is the boss

This is when Ken is at his best, or when the ball is played into his forward run, particularly in the box.

If it were down to me Madine would never start ahead of a fully fit Ken, but that’s why our Neil is the boss
    Too right, he did it to mancienne a few times on Saturday, just brushed around him like he was a cardboard cut out, not a fully grown man!!

Thanks for that captain obvious.
    Sorry - just read the whole thread and realised Baloo has already pointed out the obvious. As you were.

Sorry - just read the whole thread and realised Baloo has already pointed out the obvious. As you were.
    Yep. Draw and 2 wins. Completely useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    The optimal solution is to beat Derby and Hull, and then have a stroll in the park against Reading.
    I vote on this being our approach.

Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulham traveller View Post
    I come on here to talk to real football fans, made to feel welcome, never disprecful, I did put a lol after my comment, I don’t think it was offensive
    Your more than welcome Fulham Traveller.

I'm keeping it on the low and not talking about the fixture against Derby.

...for you clever dicks, this isn't 'actually' a comment about the match.

Will a young Welshman derail Cardiff’s promotion bid? Harry Wilson with 7 goals and 2 assists in just 9 games for Hull.