+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HMRC help.

HMRC help.

Hi lads, I need a bit of help regarding HMRC fine.
    I recently noticed I've been paying nearly double PAYE on my payslip.
    I rang HMRC and asked them why this is. They told me it was because I hadn't filled in my self assessment for the past few years and the extra PAYE I have been paying is a fine off them. I haven't been self employed since 2014 and filled the last one in for that time and it was all sorted.
    They said they had sent me letters asking me to fill in self assessment since 2015 even though I informed them by email at the end of my self employment period that I wasn't self employed anymore and I have their conformation email thanking me for doing so.
    Also they said that they'd sent letters out to my previous address where I lived when I was self employed, (I moved in 2015) so obviously I've not received them.
    I tried explaining this to them, but they weren't having any of this and told me I need to fill out a self assessment form. How do I go about sorting this out?

Re: HMRC help.

Fill this out, if you haven't already..

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/short...m/CeaseTrading

And complete any outstanding returns from 2014 onwards.

International

They chased me for self employed self assessment covering 9 years when I was employed and they were receiving my PAYE tax and stamp from me and my employer.

They said the 2 departments are not required to talk to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    Fill this out, if you haven't already..

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/short...m/CeaseTrading

And complete any outstanding returns from 2014 onwards.
    Thanks, ST.
    I filled one of these in at the end of my self employment period and had a return email from them saying

''Thank you for email to tell us you have stopped your self-employment.

This message confirms that we have successfully received your form and we will now confirm your information to ensure the security of your personal details.

We will look at your National Insurance account and if needed we will issue a bill for any NICs that are due up to the date your self-employment has stopped. The period covered by the bill will be clearly shown please check the dates carefully.

If you have overpaid Class 2 National Insurance contributions, we will send you a refund claim form which you should sign and return to us by post.

If for any reason we are unable to deal with your request, we will email you or send a letter to let you know.''

I am having issues with HMRC also so can sympathise (simple issue with company car but has dragged on forever). If you still have the emails then surely you are on pretty solid ground going forward to resolve it. You seem pretty organised so hit them with the facts and you should get it sorted.
    Pain in the arse as they have the power to take but a nightmare to get it back.

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Thanks, ST.
    I filled one of these in at the end of my self employment period and had a return email from them saying

''Thank you for email to tell us you have stopped your self-employment.

This message confirms that we have successfully received your form and we will now confirm your information to ensure the security of your personal details.

We will look at your National Insurance account and if needed we will issue a bill for any NICs that are due up to the date your self-employment has stopped. The period covered by the bill will be clearly shown please check the dates carefully.

If you have overpaid Class 2 National Insurance contributions, we will send you a refund claim form which you should sign and return to us by post.

If for any reason we are unable to deal with your request, we will email you or send a letter to let you know.''
    Try rininging again and explain your situation and reiterate the evidence you have. They can close down your SA record and record your returns as being received there and then and amend your code.

If the person you speak to is a little hesitant in doing this, ask to speak to a manager. This should resolve it.

That's fair.

I would check your online account (personal tax account) to check if there's any outstanding returns. If there are, it's likely they've estimated the tax due and applied penalties for non-filing, and are collecting it all through PAYE.

Self assessment is a little out of my area of expertise, but this is what I assume is happening.

The estimated tax you should be able to sort out because it's just a case of filing nil returns for the years you weren't self employed, but the penalties you're likely going to need to appeal. Should you win, you will probably get it all back.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    Try rininging again and explain your situation and reiterate the evidence you have. They can close down your SA record and record your returns as being received there and then and amend your code.

If the person you speak to is a little hesitant in doing this, ask to speak to a manager. This should resolve it.
    This above. I had the same issue a few months ago. I rang them , and a conversation about how it was all wrong. They amended all the details, corrected my tax code, refunded fines, and refunded tax for the previous 2 years and rebated my overpayment for the current year (this was February). I found them very helpful but was initially a bit worried about ringing them.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    This above. I had the same issue a few months ago. I rang them , and a conversation about how it was all wrong. They amended all the details, corrected my tax code, refunded fines, and refunded tax for the previous 2 years and rebated my overpayment for the current year (this was February). I found them very helpful but was initially a bit worried about ringing them.
    I rang them earlier and was passed along the line to a Scottish bloke who told me there was nothing he could do. He advised me to fill in a Self assessment form and send it off. Despite me telling him I had the conformation email from them thanking me for informing them. To make things worse they have been sending letters to my old address for the last two years which I never received. Would have thought they'd have a record of where I lived, as I've been paying tax to them for the last three years through my current job.

I rang them earlier and was passed along the line to a Scottish bloke who told me there was nothing he could do. He advised me to fill in a Self assessment form and send it off. Despite me telling him I had the conformation email from them thanking me for informing them. To make things worse they have been sending letters to my old address for the last two years which I never received. Would have thought they'd have a record of where I lived, as I've been paying tax to them for the last three years through my current job.
    In all fairness, the onus is on you to keep HMRC informed of any changes of addresses. If you had then you would have received the relevant correspondence and you could have dealt with the problem immediately.

Saying that, you have the email confirmation that you told them to close your SA record. As I said give it another go (they close at 8, be quick) and hopefully the person you speak with will sort it for you.

What a pleasant surprise. After all these years and everything that's happened Peter Ridsdale still posts on here.
    Hope you get your HMRC problems sorted out Pete

In all fairness, the onus is on you to keep HMRC informed of any changes of addresses. If you had then you would have received the relevant correspondence and you could have dealt with the problem immediately.

Saying that, you have the email confirmation that you told them to close your SA record. As I said give it another go (they close at 8, be quick) and hopefully the person you speak with will sort it for you.
    Thanks for your reply
    I didn't think I'd need to tell them of my change of address, as I stopped being self employed when I lived at the previous address. I also started my new job while at the previous address.
    I'll give them a bell tomorrow and see what they've got to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    What a pleasant surprise. After all these years and everything that's happened Peter Ridsdale still posts on here.
    Hope you get your HMRC problems sorted out Pete
    Thanks Sam

Thanks for your reply
    I didn't think I'd need to tell them of my change of address, as I stopped being self employed when I lived at the previous address. I also started my new job while at the previous address.
    I'll give them a bell tomorrow and see what they've got to say.
    Good luck. If you need any help or have any questions drop me a PM

I sympathise. I have dealt with this sort of thing for a number of clients and it is murder trying to get HMRC to see sense.
    Speak tomorrow by all means and good luck trying to speak to a manager/team leader.
    If all else fails and you are certain that the email confirms cancellation then go to your MP which I had to on one occasion. If they are any good they will get it sorted for you.

Good luck. If you need any help or have any questions drop me a PM
    Thanks again.
    I've emailed the accountant (friend of mine) I used for the few years that I was self employed, and asked for his advice (pleaded for help ) so I'm waiting for him to get back to me to see what's what.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    They chased me for self employed self assessment covering 9 years when I was employed and they were receiving my PAYE tax and stamp from me and my employer.

They said the 2 departments are not required to talk to each other.
    This is what is happening to me now.

I was SE for 13/14 and was umbrella 14/15 and most of 15/16 but did work a few months SE so put in a rebate, heads been up my arse since and didn't even notice they'd taken the 15/16 payment to cover the "fine" for not filling for a year I've paid tax, and double NI as I was umbrella..

Just phoned HMRC again, spoke to a different person who looked at my record and could see that I'd signed out of being self employed in 2014. They told me they would change my tax code and reimburse me with the money they'd taken off me over the last few weeks.
    Thanks to everyone for your help.
    PS C'mon City

Just phoned HMRC again, spoke to a different person who looked at my record and could see that I'd signed out of being self employed in 2014. They told me they would change my tax code and reimburse me with the money they'd taken off me over the last few weeks.
    Thanks to everyone for your help.
    PS C'mon City
    Excellent.
    Next round is on you!

Good news mate

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Excellent.
    Next round is on you!
    Oye Jezza it was my idea, I’ll have a double vodka with Diet Coke

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    I sympathise. I have dealt with this sort of thing for a number of clients and it is murder trying to get HMRC to see sense.
    Speak tomorrow by all means and good luck trying to speak to a manager/team leader.
    If all else fails and you are certain that the email confirms cancellation then go to your MP which I had to on one occasion. If they are any good they will get it sorted for you.
    I recently got my local MP to challenge Cabinet Office discriminatory policy on my behalf - as I was unable to challenge it myself beyong a certain level. She complied and she is awaiting a,reply.

Looks like the issue hasn't been resolved after all

Had a letter today from HMRC saying..

''You told us that for the tax year 2017-2018 you no longer need to send us a Self Assessment tax return.
    We agree and withdraw the notice to complete a tax return we sent you for 2017-2018.
    The original deadline dates for paying any tax you owe will remain in force. Where the deadline dates have passed, we will charge you penalties and interest on any tax you owe us.''

Despite me telling them I have email conformation from them, thanking me for for telling them I had stopped my self employment in December 2014.

I was then passed to three different departments over a 55 minute phone call, to be told they would pass my details on to some other department that would look into this and call me back within the next 5 working days. I told them I'm a lorry driver and cant answer my phone when I'm driving.
    I also asked why I was told it was resolved and they would reimburse me the money they had taken from me when I called them 8 days ago.

To me it seems a pretty straight forward error on their behalf, that I'm getting penalised for, and after 3 phone calls to try and resolve the matter it seems like I'm p1ssing in the wind.

Is this common practice with them, or am I just an unlucky one?

Looks like the issue hasn't been resolved after all

Had a letter today from HMRC saying..

''You told us that for the tax year 2017-2018 you no longer need to send us a Self Assessment tax return.
    We agree and withdraw the notice to complete a tax return we sent you for 2017-2018.
    The original deadline dates for paying any tax you owe will remain in force. Where the deadline dates have passed, we will charge you penalties and interest on any tax you owe us.''

Despite me telling them I have email conformation from them, thanking me for for telling them I had stopped my self employment in December 2014.

I was then passed to three different departments over a 55 minute phone call, to be told they would pass my details on to some other department that would look into this and call me back within the next 5 working days. I told them I'm a lorry driver and cant answer my phone when I'm driving.
    I also asked why I was told it was resolved and they would reimburse me the money they had taken from me when I called them 8 days ago.

To me it seems a pretty straight forward error on their behalf, that I'm getting penalised for, and after 3 phone calls to try and resolve the matter it seems like I'm p1ssing in the wind.

Is this common practice with them, or am I just an unlucky one?
    I’m afraid it’s an absolute shambles. You have kids answering the phones who have probably only been there for a few weeks, reading off help cards, I kid you not. If you get through to an experienced member of staff you are lucky. They can’t keep staff because they pay them a pittance and the job is so stressful and difficult, they are leaving after a few weeks.

I would now write a letter of complaint and copy in your MP. Your letter will then be passed to an experience member of staff to deal with, hopefully.