+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Derby Approach tonight

Derby Approach tonight

To cement play-off spot - they need two wins and one draw from the next 3 games.

Two of those games are against Us and Villa.

They can't afford to lose.

I think they will defend first and try to counter attack.

The team that they could over-take is Millwall.

They play Boro 5th and Villa 4th - so they will probably hope that they don't will both matches.

Brentford ( same points as Derby ) play Hull and & Barnsley - so they need to try and keep their noses in front.

For us it's win or nothing, derby would be happy with a point perhaps.

Re: Derby Approach tonight

"For us it's win or nothing, derby would be happy with a point perhaps."

Why ?
    We have 3 games left & need 6 points to ensure promotion irrespective of what Fulham do so we need 2 wins from our remaining 3 games don"t we & it doesn"t matter which 2 of our remaining 3 games we win.

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    "For us it's win or nothing, derby would be happy with a point perhaps."

Why ?
    We have 3 games left & need 6 points to ensure promotion irrespective of what Fulham do so we need 2 wins from our remaining 3 games don"t we & it doesn"t matter which 2 of our remaining 3 games we win.
    I think the point being made is that a draw is no good to us. If we win then we need one more win. If we draw or lose then we need two more wins. That's on the assumption that Fulham win their remaining two of course.

I'm not convinced Derby would be happy to take a point though. It's pretty tight for 6th place and they'd be foolish to think they don't need to win all their games to secure that last place.

Last edited by Robin Friday's Ghost; 24-04-18 at 12:16. Reason: Duplicate post

Derby would be happier with a point than none.

It doesn’t make any difference to us, it’s either 3 or 0/1.

Derby Approach tonight : be careful of snow and ice outside the ground, is all I can offer

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    I think the point being made is that a draw is no good to us. If we win then we need one more win. If we draw or lose then we need two more wins. That's on the assumption that Fulham win their remaining two of course.

I'm not convinced Derby would be happy to take a point though. It's pretty tight for 6th place and they'd be foolish to think they don't need to win all their games to secure that last place.
    Agreed, but they might be more cautious than us.

It's going to be interesting how they set up

I would just about suggest it's a must win for both, in that a win significantly improves either sides chance of achieving what they want. It's true to say neither 100% needs to win, but a win for both eases the pressure somewhat.

On the opposite side of the coin, a draw or loss for either significantly increases the pressure on the last two games.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    To cement play-off spot - they need two wins and one draw from the next 3 games.

Two of those games are against Us and Villa.

They can't afford to lose.

I think they will defend first and try to counter attack.

The team that they could over-take is Millwall.

They play Boro 5th and Villa 4th - so they will probably hope that they don't will both matches.

Brentford ( same points as Derby ) play Hull and & Barnsley - so they need to try and keep their noses in front.

For us it's win or nothing, derby would be happy with a point perhaps.
    I was thinking earlier, this is almost like the second leg of a playoff - where the home side need only a draw to get through.

I think Derby will have to go for the win though.

If Derby go for it they will leave themselves open to our style of play - getting balls into the box ASAP.

Birmingham have taken 10 points from 12 at home since Monk joined. I'd be a little nervous about that game if it was us visiting them on the final day and we needed a win. It's not inconceivable that 4 points will be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Birmingham have taken 10 points from 12 at home since Monk joined. I'd be a little nervous about that game if it was us visiting them on the final day and we needed a win. It's not inconceivable that 4 points will be enough.
    Agreed and something everyone else seems to have missed.

They beat hull 3-0 who many consider to be our hardest game. If away at hull is a hard game then away at Birmingham is hard too.

Monk is a god

Fulham will turn over Birmingham with ease.

We need 6 points.

Tough but gettable

Id fancy our chances in the plays offs as well.

I see it as at least 2 chances.

I wouldn't fancy a Dave Jones side but this is Warnocks side we are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Fulham will turn over Birmingham with ease.

We need 6 points.

Tough but gettable

Id fancy our chances in the plays offs as well.

I see it as at least 2 chances.

I wouldn't fancy a Dave Jones side but this is Warnocks side we are talking about.
    OK, but my point was we don't know for sure we'll need 6 points even if we keep saying we will, so just repeating it again doesn't really conclude things either way.

We'll probably need 6. I'm sick of thinking about it tbh. Time will tell.

OK, but my point was we don't know for sure we'll need 6 points even if we keep saying we will, so just repeating it again doesn't really conclude things either way.

We'll probably need 6. I'm sick of thinking about it tbh. Time will tell.
    1 point is better than none tonight. If we are 2 down after 90 minutes and draw- we should celebrate as at the very least it means Fulham have to approach both games thinking they must win and takes away the real possibility of both Fulham and brum needing a point on that last day. We definitely don’t want that!!