+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sports Psychology, you need the right mind set to win

Sports Psychology, you need the right mind set to win

Ok it's stating the obvious but unless you believe you're dead!

We have 2 hurdles to overcome against teams who are much lower down the league with nothing apart from pride to play for.

We alternatively are much higher up the league with the biggest prize imaginable to play for and that prize is definitely within our grasp.

I played a Vets Berkshire league tennis match last night and in a deciding championship 10 point tie break we were 8-4 down. I said to my partner "we are not losing this, we play smart and win", we did, winning 10-8.

So picking the right team is crucial, believing is crucial, we can and should do this and if everyone wants PL football it's far easier to win these 2 games than go through the 3 game hell of the playoffs against sides who definitely want something.

C'mon City!

And if that JB Coleman has any pride he'll get his bunch of losers up to put one over the Cottagers!
    Last edited by Taffy Blue in Berkshire; 26-04-18 at 11:56. Reason: typo

Re: Sports Psychology, you need the right mind set to win

After Derby I am of the firm belief that automatic promotion is our chance.

If we cannot turn over Hull and Reading then I am convinced we won't have the mental toughness to come through the play offs where the pressure is ramped up many levels.

Have we been found out tactically? Have we run out of steam? Are there players who simply don't want to go up?
    Whatever the answer to those questions it still remains that the longer we play the more our problems will be magnified IMO.

Win Saturday though and all is good. It is our biggest game of the season and our 'cup final' but then we knew that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post

We have 2 hurdles to overcome against teams who are much lower down the league with nothing apart from pride to play for.

We alternatively are much higher up the league with the biggest prize imaginable to play for and that prize is definitely within our grasp.

I played a Vets Berkshire league tennis match last night and in a deciding championship 10 point tie break we were 8-4 down. I said to my partner "we are not losing this, we play smart and win", we did, winning 10-8.

So picking the right team is crucial, believing is crucial, we can and should do this and if everyone wants PL football it's far easier to win these 2 games than go through the 3 game hell of the playoffs against sides who definitely want something.

C'mon City!

And if that JB Coleman has any pride he'll get his bunch of losers up to put one over the Cottagers!
    You sound a lot like journalist Matthew Sayid.

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    You sound a lot like journalist Matthew Sayid.
    No, me a C4rdf boy and desperately want us to do it!

About time we had a lucky break.

Can't believe all the sh1t refereeing decisions we've had this season with perfectly good goals disallowed, stonewall penalties not given.

promotion.JPG

You're right there Taffy Blue. It seems like everybody is against us, especially the refs we've had. They all come into the game thinking we are the Wimbledon side that kicked everybody off the park. Actually the opposition has been way more physical than us recently but we keep getting disciplined for trivial things. Our luck has to change. We need a strong referee that sees things as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post

C'mon City!

Good Post. Its certainly doable.

If we are talking mentality we need to forget about Reading. Saturday is the final. Get a result at whatever cost. Do so and momentum plus a noisy crowd SHOULD see us through the last game.

The psychology and mind set, are just as important as the ability.
    You only have to look at Andy Murray to know that. A guy who has as much ability as his opponents but failed to win a major title for ages, because of lack of self belief.
    Jimmy White got to 6 world snooker finals but failed to win any. He was even 13/7 up in one going into the final session. All the ability in the world, but mentally weak.
    Big difference in football though, as one late refereeing decision can undo all the good work you’ve put in before it, leaving little time to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    You're right there Taffy Blue. It seems like everybody is against us, especially the refs we've had. They all come into the game thinking we are the Wimbledon side that kicked everybody off the park. Actually the opposition has been way more physical than us recently but we keep getting disciplined for trivial things. Our luck has to change. We need a strong referee that sees things as they are.
    Every team team thinks the refs are against there team, millwall away for example, derby away should of had a pen, I am sure there are more, if does even if self out

B0110cks - we just have to wear lucky red.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    B0110cks - we just have to wear lucky red.
    and shoot more.