+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Car hire USA insurance

Car hire USA insurance

Anyone rented a car in the states recently, specifically LA

Trying to work out what best way to get zero excess insurance and not have to secure silly money on a card

Is it easier just to buy the waiver from the desk when collecting?

Re: Car hire USA insurance

I have been looking for car hire in Fla for the last week

very surprised on the price increases from 2 years ago, I paid just over £300 2 years ago for 12 days ( we dont use the car for the first few days ) this time for 23 days its £1500

usacarsrental is coming out for me as the best prices

also they do

Free Cancellation
    Unlimited Mileage
    Collision damage waiver (Zero Excess)
    Extended protection
    Theft Waiver with zero excess
    Facility fee
    Tyre and battery fee
    State surcharge
    Vehicle licence fee Tax

Not sure how much they " hold " on the CC though, though reading on the T&C's it is the individual company that does that, so it would vary

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

very surprised on the price increases from 2 years ago, I paid just over £300 2 years ago for 12 days ( we dont use the car for the first few days ) this time for 23 days its £1500

also they do

Free Cancellation
    Unlimited Mileage
    Extended protection
    Facility fee
    Tyre and battery fee
    State surcharge
    Vehicle licence fee Tax

Not sure how much they " hold " on the CC though, though reading on the T&C's it is the individual company that does that, so it would vary

Don't some people buy a car while they are there, then sell it or burn it.

£1500's a lot

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

also they do

Free Cancellation
    Unlimited Mileage
    Extended protection
    Facility fee
    Tyre and battery fee
    State surcharge
    Vehicle licence fee Tax

I can get a six day hire for £135.00 with the basics included.

UK companies are offering the zero excess insurance at a fair price o top of that but of course when you arrive at the desk they want a hefty swipe on the card if you are not taking their insurance. Then if anything happens you lose the money on the card and then have to claim it back.

What I want is to just pay the £135 here for the rental. Then take their inflated insurance but avoid excess and card swipe.

It seems almost every company does it differently and some take a deposit, some swipe a credit card and so on.

I pay for stuff as I go and not use a credit card so I don't want them swiping my debit card and blocking access to my spending money.

I have always found it economical to book car hire through the airline.

I'm go to LA in June and have hired a mustang through expedia. My deal was zero excess and, I think, all rental are like the through them. Zero excess doesn't cover tyres or windscreens though. Hope this helps.

I found Alamo the cheapest for me, but I would always buy the insurance waiver at desk, usually around $30, it saved my once after someone plowed into the back of me.

A more general question I have spent lots of time in LA and have never found myself needing a car, Uber is ridiculously cheap especially when split between a few of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Trying to work out what best way to get zero excess insurance and not have to secure silly money on a card

A worldwide annual insurance policy

Chris - I'm doing a road trip. I have used UBER in LA and you are right. The metro is a good way to get to specific places (i.e. Santa Monica).

Mike - When you going?

I have used this company twice and had fantastic experience with them both times. I highly recommend them. Everything is included, insurance wise with their most basic cover, so you don't have to worry about anything else at all. Last month in California I ended up with a brand new Mazda 3 after choosing the intermediate sized car.
    https://www.usrentacar.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I found Alamo the cheapest for me, but I would always buy the insurance waiver at desk, usually around $30, it saved my once after someone plowed into the back of me.

A more general question I have spent lots of time in LA and have never found myself needing a car, Uber is ridiculously cheap especially when split between a few of you.
    Completely agree about Uber. We had 5 days in LA at the end of our holiday last month. Buses take forever to get across the city. Much better off spending 20 dollars to get from A to B and saving 2 hours of your day!We were in Hermosa Beach, and it was roughly 20 dollars one way to most places, like Venice/Santa Monica and downtown for the Staples Center. Spend a bit more but have tons more time for fun things rather than bus trips. The metro is good, but extremely limited in where it goes.

Nice, hope you enjoy, something I once did is not rent a car in LA due to the prices/traffic as already discussed, but got a bus from LA to Santa Barbara for pretty cheap, spent a night there and then rented at a good price in Santa Barbara. You cut out all the hassle of driving through and out of LA.

I’d recommend you sign up for National and their Emerald Club loyalty programme. You will need a credit card though to book (you could try a prepaid one - not sure if it’d work though). At LAX jump on a rental car shuttle as you leave the airport - it’ll take you straight to National (5mins away). National have a policy where you can choose any car from the aisle (nothing is pre-reserved). The car choices in LAX are the best I’ve seen anywhere in the US. I’ve not been able to refuse the Mustang 6.0litre convertible the last couple of times I’ve been.

I think if you’re an Emerald Club member that as long as you reserve a full size or higher you can take any car you like from their parking lot.

My credit card covers all the insurance stuff as part of the perks it offers (not sure if you can do that from the UK though but I’d check)

Check with your credit card company. They usually provide accident insurance for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Fila Bj View Post
    Chris - I'm doing a road trip. I have used UBER in LA and you are right. The metro is a good way to get to specific places (i.e. Santa Monica).

Mike - When you going?
    Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post

Cheers.

I'm based in Woodland Hills so outside LA City and out towards the Kardashians. My plan is to go driving around the studio areas, the hills, santa monica, malibu, maybe santa barbara, vegas is an option as well.

So not really downtown LA, although I would like a day there to see places I've read about in books

Quote Originally Posted by CopenhagenBlue View Post
    I have used this company twice and had fantastic experience with them both times. I highly recommend them. Everything is included, insurance wise with their most basic cover, so you don't have to worry about anything else at all. Last month in California I ended up with a brand new Mazda 3 after choosing the intermediate sized car.
    https://www.usrentacar.co.uk/
    did you have to pay anything additional when collecting the car, or give a swipe of your card to hold an amount on it?

what actual company was it collected from?

He doesn't use a CC

Cheers.

I'm based in Woodland Hills so outside LA City and out towards the Kardashians. My plan is to go driving around the studio areas, the hills, santa monica, malibu, maybe santa barbara, vegas is an option as well.

So not really downtown LA, although I would like a day there to see places I've read about in books
    If you value your life avoid East LA. .