+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Labour and anti semitism

Labour and anti semitism

90 alleged cases of antisemitism are being investigated by Labour. In a party of 600,000 members, that would be 0.015% - should all be found guilty. In other words, 99.985% of Labour members are not antisemitic. I wonder what percentage of Tory Party members are not racist?

Re: Labour and anti semitism

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    90 alleged cases of antisemitism are being investigated by Labour. In a party of 600,000 members, that would be 0.015% - should all be found guilty. In other words, 99.985% of Labour members are not antisemitic. I wonder what percentage of Tory Party members are not racist?
    If you deny there is a problem with anti-semitism in the Labour Party
    , then you are part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Lots of Jewish labour members support Corbyn

I am not anti Semitic , that would mean I would hate Arabs , Jews etc

What I object to is the expansionist policies of the ultra right Israeli government and its supporters

It's interesting to note many Israelis don't support their government

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Lots of Jewish labour members support Corbyn

I am not anti Semitic , that would mean I would hate Arabs , Jews etc

What I object to is the expansionist policies of the ultra right Israeli government and its supporters

It's interesting to note many Israelis don't support their government
    It's apparent that you don't consider there is a problem with anti-semitism in the Labour Party as well.

It's apparent that you don't consider there is a problem with anti-semitism in the Labour Party as well.
    I think the right wing Tory media is stoking up a few issues for political gain

Ken Livingstone is a nasty little worm, once he and a few of his hangers on have been dealt with things will settle down

I think the right wing Tory media is stoking up a few issues for political gain

Ken Livingstone is a nasty little worm, once he and a few of his hangers on have been dealt with things will settle down
    I think things will only start to improve if they get rid of Corbyn. However, having said that, the far left are now so deeply entrenched in the Labour Party, that just getting rid of Corbyn would have little impact on the anti-semitism that is rife in the far left of the party.

The sooner the centre left disassociate themselves with the hard left and form their own moderate party the better.

I think things will only start to improve if they get rid of Corbyn. However, having said that, the far left are now so deeply entrenched in the Labour Party, that just getting rid of Corbyn would have little impact on the anti-semitism that is rife in the far left of the party.

The sooner the centre left disassociate themselves with the hard left and form their own moderate party the better.
    I would like Johnny Mann , ken Livingstone's arch nemesis , as Labour leader

Or Stella creasey

Any fecked has got to be a better prime minister than may , she's hopeless and amber Rudd ? Strewth

Hatred is so intense , it blinds the obvious, and send folk into denial ,my mate is heavy drinker, but he doesn't think he is.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Hatred is so intense , it blinds the obvious, and send folk into denial ,my mate is heavy drinker, but he doesn't think he is.
    Well I am not anti Semitic , if people want to call intense dislike of Israel building on Palestinian land anti Semitic , then please yourselves , I call it straight talking

I find it quite astonishing and incredibly naive that the OP considers that as only 0.015% of the Labour Party membership are being investigated by Labour, then that means that 99.985% of Labour members are not anti-semitic.

Quite astonishing

I find it quite astonishing and incredibly naive that the OP considers that as only 0.015% of the Labour Party membership are being investigated by Labour, then that means that 99.985% of Labour members are not anti-semitic.

Quite astonishing
    Prove they are then.

I thought I’d catch a rat with this one. Funny isn’t it that as soon as labour and anti semitism is mentioned the normal suspects are on it like a flash.

Yet post anything against their beloved tories and they won’t join in.

And are you honestly saying Nick that this problem is only in the Labour Party! Come on wake up.

Here’s one for you.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a3824746.html

YouGov polls done in 2015 and again in 2017 found that Tory voters are more likely to hold negative views about Jews than Labour voters. For example, in 2015, 31% Conservatives thought Jews chase money more than other Britons. In 2017, the figure went down to 22%. For Labour the figures were 22% and 14%.

A 2017 study looking at British attitudes towards Jews by the Institute for Jewish Policy Research found that 30% of the general population hold at least one ‘anti-Semitic attitude’. Figures on the left are similar to or below the population mean, while those on the right are significantly more likely to hold at least one anti-Semitic attitude. Such facts do not stop the oft repeated accusations against the left.

I abhor racism of any kind but it appears entrenched in our society and had nothing to do specifically with those who happen to vote labour.

YouGov polls done in 2015 and again in 2017 found that Tory voters are more likely to hold negative views about Jews than Labour voters. For example, in 2015, 31% Conservatives thought Jews chase money more than other Britons. In 2017, the figure went down to 22%. For Labour the figures were 22% and 14%.

A 2017 study looking at British attitudes towards Jews by the Institute for Jewish Policy Research found that 30% of the general population hold at least one ‘anti-Semitic attitude’. Figures on the left are similar to or below the population mean, while those on the right are significantly more likely to hold at least one anti-Semitic attitude. Such facts do not stop the oft repeated accusations against the left.

I abhor racism of any kind but it appears entrenched in our society and had nothing to do specifically with those who happen to vote labour.

You posted that homily a while back. Others seem to have tried to advance the debate by adding views, opinions and sometimes facts. Cutting and pasting what you previously said like some kind of broken record like its an innate truth doesn't really add much.

Whether there is any anti-Semitism in the Labour party, I have no idea, what I do find odd regarding current politics, is that in the U.K the left party is taking pelters from the press, I cannot ever remember a UK politician taking as much shite from the press as Jezza (Garage included), yet across the pond, the right party is suffering the press onslaught with the POTUS, suffering what must be the biggest hate campaign by the press the western world has ever seen, the world press is basically the same 6-8 consortiums, but an ocean apart !!!!!.

You have taken a leathering here sonny

You have taken a leathering here sonny
    Of course I have.

In your head. And in the head of those that cannot see a problem within the Labour Party.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    You posted that homily a while back. Others seem to have tried to advance the debate by adding views, opinions and sometimes facts. Cutting and pasting what you previously said like some kind of broken record like its an innate truth doesn't really add much.
    And how have you exactly advanced the debate? Personal attacks don't actually add to the debate.

Unless, of course, you are a member of the Labour Party, where for many it appears to be de rigeur.

And how have you exactly advanced the debate? Personal attacks don't actually add to the debate.

Unless, of course, you are a member of the Labour Party, where for many it appears to be de rigeur.
    Do you agree Nick that this is a society problem and not a labour problem? Why would it JUST be a labour problem? Aren’t us labour voters just a cross section of society

Do you agree Nick that this is a society problem and not a labour problem? Why would it JUST be a labour problem? Aren’t us labour voters just a cross section of society
    Racism can be found across all of society. This particular problem with anti-semitism manifests itself within the hard left of the Labour Party and as it is the hard left of the Labour party than now totally controls the problem then I would suggest that anti-semitism is far more of a problem within the Labour party than any other political party and with society generally.

Racism can be found across all of society. This particular problem with anti-semitism manifests itself within the hard left of the Labour Party and as it is the hard left of the Labour party than now totally controls the problem then I would suggest that anti-semitism is far more of a problem within the Labour party than any other political party and with society generally.
    Can you give me facts and figures to back this up please?

Can you give me facts and figures to back this up please?
    Find them your self

No don't bother if you are going to come up with Mickey Mouse figure like the ones in your OP

You are right. I was just making an initial observation on your contribution thus far which seemed a bit simplistic and repetitive. I absolutely agree that personal attacks add little to the discussion and we can all be judged against that standard.

As for the substance of the discussion I think the Labour Party under Corbyn is all over the place in managing this issue and have gone on record in other threads to say so. The facile and personal interventions of Len McCluskey just exaggerate the point and until this is recognised the issue will not go away. It is perfectly permissible to differentiate between the scandalous extremes of the Israeli state under Netenyahu , it's behavour in undermining peaceful engagement and development of the Palestinian state, his personal corruption and its acceptance by other supportive nations without descending into anti-semitism. Yet a Labour Party founded in good part with Jewish input and with anti-semetic ideals finds itself a century or so on having a leadership that is unable to defend itself from accusations it would normally be making against other parties.

I am not sure that makes me a member of the Labour Party but if you have something similar to add other than a chant then please feel free to add.

Of course I have.

In your head. And in the head of those that cannot see a problem within the Labour Party.
    Your not on your own i know many labour voters think the same , for a party that has always had the strong message of equality for all , inclusiveness and protection of the minorities in society, its all a bit ironic .

I'm sure it happens/exists in the right wing parties , outside of the tit for tat debate , the bigger issue for me as a Labour voter I thought Labour were better than this

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    You are right. I was just making an initial observation on your contribution thus far which seemed a bit simplistic and repetitive. I absolutely agree that personal attacks add little to the discussion and we can all be judged against that standard.

As for the substance of the discussion I think the Labour Party under Corbyn is all over the place in managing this issue and have gone on record in other threads to say so. The facile and personal interventions of Len McCluskey just exaggerate the point and until this is recognised the issue will not go away. It is perfectly permissible to differentiate between the scandalous extremes of the Israeli state under Netenyahu , it's behavour in undermining peaceful engagement and development of the Palestinian state, his personal corruption and its acceptance by other supportive nations without descending into anti-semitism. Yet a Labour Party founded in good part with Jewish input and with anti-semetic ideals finds itself a century or so on having a leadership that is unable to defend itself from accusations it would normally be making against other parties.

I am not sure that makes me a member of the Labour Party but if you have something similar to add other than a chant then please feel free to add.
    Yes.

Good post.