+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stars at the end of a thread title....

Stars at the end of a thread title....

How? Why? And who allocates them?

Re: Stars at the end of a thread title....

Usually allocated by the egotistical poster who starts a thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I seem to be rating threads without physically doing it. As soon as I reply to a thread it seems to get 5 stars, although I know my contributions are well appreciated here so it could make sense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    I seem to be rating threads without physically doing it. As soon as I reply to a thread it seems to get 5 stars, although I know my contributions are well appreciated here so it could make sense.

Are you jealous of my stars?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Are you jealous of my stars?
    Not in the slightest. My claim to fame is that my posts inevitably conclude more threads than any other posters - because no-one can follow them.

Not in the slightest. My claim to fame is that my posts inevitably conclude more threads than any other posters - because no-one can follow them.
    In the sense that no-one can follow them.

Is the last one Ur@nus?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Is the last one Ur@nus?
    You seem to be confusing a planet with a star to make a rather convoluted joke. Planets in our Solar System appear to move in complicated paths across the sky, but stars don't. That is, if you observe the sky night after night, the stars will all appear in fixed positions with respect to each other. They will rise and set a few minutes earlier each night (an effect that is due to the Earth's motion around the Sun), but otherwise nothing will change. This is why the background stars are sometimes referred to as the "celestial sphere" -- from our point of view, it looks like the stars are "painted" onto a gigantic sphere that surrounds Earth and therefore are unable to move with respect to each other.Planets, on the other hand, are observed to move in very complicated paths with respect to the background stars, sometimes even appearing to go "against the grain" and reverse their directions. Therefore, they are easily distinguishable from stars if you look at the sky night after night. Although ancient astronomers did not have a correct explanation for this phenomenon, we now know that the complicated motion is just a projection effect -- it is due to the fact that Earth and the other planets are physically moving in orbits around the Sun, so the planets' relative positions as seen from Earth (with respect to the fixed background stars) change as time goes on. There are other observational differences between planets and stars too, by the way -- such as the fact that planets almost never twinkle.

You seem to be confusing a planet with a star to make a rather convoluted joke. Planets in our Solar System appear to move in complicated paths across the sky, but stars don't. That is, if you observe the sky night after night, the stars will all appear in fixed positions with respect to each other. They will rise and set a few minutes earlier each night (an effect that is due to the Earth's motion around the Sun), but otherwise nothing will change. This is why the background stars are sometimes referred to as the "celestial sphere" -- from our point of view, it looks like the stars are "painted" onto a gigantic sphere that surrounds Earth and therefore are unable to move with respect to each other.Planets, on the other hand, are observed to move in very complicated paths with respect to the background stars, sometimes even appearing to go "against the grain" and reverse their directions. Therefore, they are easily distinguishable from stars if you look at the sky night after night. Although ancient astronomers did not have a correct explanation for this phenomenon, we now know that the complicated motion is just a projection effect -- it is due to the fact that Earth and the other planets are physically moving in orbits around the Sun, so the planets' relative positions as seen from Earth (with respect to the fixed background stars) change as time goes on. There are other observational differences between planets and stars too, by the way -- such as the fact that planets almost never twinkle.
    Indeed. I shall self-flagellate.

I'd give that ten stars minimum

You'll go blind.

You'll go blind.
    If only we could assign stars to individual POSTS!

Shit thread and I have voted accordingly

✪✪✪✪✪

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Shit thread and I have voted accordingly
    I only asked a question and the thread has gone all Patrick Moore.

Blog Entries

How did you know Wails-Bails looks like a well-known TV personality?

How did you know Wails-Bails looks like a well-known TV personality?
    I've got a very powerful telescope.