+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a season it has been

What a season it has been

This season has been our second best ever in terms of points won. Only if you use 3 points for a win in the extraordinary 1946/47 season would there have been a Cardiff City side that had beaten that (that team would have won 96 points from 42 games, the equivalent to 105 points over 46 games).

This current team has won more league matches in a season than any other Cardiff team bar the 46/47 side.

If you prefer to calculate things with averages, so to even up the seasons where we played fewer games, this team has managed a higher win percentage and points average than the 1993 Champions, who previously held the record as having the 2nd best season in our history.

This team can justifiably be labelled the best team we've ever had in this division in terms of points and wins.

Yet, we've been playing poorly for months, we don't actually play football, I remember the phrase "legal cheating" being used to describe us. We've managed all of this by being quite shit and not being able to play much football....

Re: What a season it has been

I used to go to every home game and about 10 away games a season. This season is easily my favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I used to go to every home game and about 10 away games a season. This season is easily my favourite.
    Ditto

89 points with a game to go is an outstanding effort.

This has been my favourite season ever too, as we've got where we are through a team that epitomise what Cardiff City means to me - not the most talented players but enough heart and team spirit to overcome fearful odds across the season.

I just hope we can get over the line now as that's the part of being a Cardiff team that I can't get out of my head at the moment - the glorious failure when we're on the brink of unlikely glory. I truly believe though that these players have got the belief that I struggle to summon up.

Whatever happens next week, this bunch of players, manager and coaching team will live long in my memory for giving me a football season of success beyond all my expectations.

Thank you Cardiff!

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    This has been my favourite season ever too, as we've got where we are through a team that epitomise what Cardiff City means to me - not the most talented players but enough heart and team spirit to overcome fearful odds across the season.

I just hope we can get over the line now as that's the part of being a Cardiff team that I can't get out of my head at the moment - the glorious failure when we're on the brink of unlikely glory. I truly believe though that these players have got the belief that I struggle to summon up.

Whatever happens next week, this bunch of players, manager and coaching team will live long in my memory for giving me a football season of success beyond all my expectations.

Thank you Cardiff!
    Well put. What a team and season.

International

I'd be quite happy for us to go up, not spend too much, get relegated and have another 4 years of parachute payments and awesome footrball in this division.
    The pain of being eaten every week in the Pemier league would be more than compensated for by the tension, ups and downs, and the unexpectedness of the championship for anoither 4 years and then get promoted againb

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I'd be quite happy for us to go up, not spend too much, get relegated and have another 4 years of parachute payments and awesome footrball in this division.
    The pain of being eaten every week in the Pemier league would be more than compensated for by the tension, ups and downs, and the unexpectedness of the championship for anoither 4 years and then get promoted againb
    Awesome football at Cardiff? When was that?

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    The 0-0 draw you cheered us on to promotion v Chalton wasnt great either.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    We must be one hell of a team to average nigh on 2 points a game at this level without some level of awesomeness.

This this this.

As strange as it is for a fan to say- I really don’t want us getting all excited and spending loads of money.

Further, while Warnock is without blame. I think we’ve seen enough in the last 6 months or so to suggest he’s just as likely to make us competitive in the premier league by signing out of contract players and young hungry bargains, as he is if he’s given loads of money to spend.

I'd prefer to stay up and bloody a few noses for a few seasons if possible - but I agree we shouldn't buy the mercenaries in and destroy the essence of what got us up in the first place. Nothing felt right the last time we went up - I couldn't even identify with many of the players in the team. Highlights of that season for me were winning v Man City, Whitts getting his first Prem goal and McNaughton playing a few games of Prem football

IF we go up then I'm looking forward to us playing at home in Blue more than anything else. I have no other expectations for next year other than we won't be liked again...

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I'd prefer to stay up and bloody a few noses for a few seasons if possible - but I agree we shouldn't buy the mercenaries in and destroy the essence of what got us up in the first place. Nothing felt right the last time we went up - I couldn't even identify with many of the players in the team. Highlights of that season for me were winning v Man City, Whitts getting his first Prem goal and McNaughton playing a few games of Prem football

IF we go up then I'm looking forward to us playing at home in Blue more than anything else. I have no other expectations for next year other than we won't be liked again...
    The difficult part is getting 3 points next week.

There are enough weak links to stay up comfortably.

Me too, went to almost every game in our last promotion season. Only managed about 4 this season with living abroad but I’ve never enjoyed a season so much. Will be there next weekend, hope we can do it.

Well happy to just give this team a go, a few good signings but let’s just take the money and run if we make it. Look at the other 13 teams outside the top 7 who we would compete against, no reason why we can’t beat Watford, Burnley, bornmouth, palace, bha, hudds, Leicester, jacks etc....they don’t have more resources than us.
    No counting chickens yet tho

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    89 points with a game to go is an outstanding effort.
    It’s more than when we finished as champions. We finished on 87.

Hey Eric, here's a question for you. When was the last time the City took 18 points from 18 from the 3 relegate premiership sides of the previous season? I would guess never, not remotely close!

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    Hey Eric, here's a question for you. When was the last time the City took 18 points from 18 from the 3 relegate premiership sides of the previous season? I would guess never, not remotely close!
    That’s pretty impressive. However the 3 sides coming down next year will be a lot stronger than the 3 from last year.

Cherry picker!

I reckon you are probably right. I'd be very surprised if it had happened before. In fact, I doubt the feat has been achieved by many teams before. Worth a look with a glass of malt later!

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    This this this.

As strange as it is for a fan to say- I really don’t want us getting all excited and spending loads of money.

Further, while Warnock is without blame. I think we’ve seen enough in the last 6 months or so to suggest he’s just as likely to make us competitive in the premier league by signing out of contract players and young hungry bargains, as he is if he’s given loads of money to spend.
    Warnock hates big time Charlie's so I wouldn't expect any big money signings just a handful of shrewd signings and maybe 1 unexpected one

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I reckon you are probably right. I'd be very surprised if it had happened before. In fact, I doubt the feat has been achieved by many teams before. Worth a look with a glass of malt later!
    Lol, funny enough I will be doing likewise today at my great nephew's christening! Don't know about whetting the baby's head, he's likely to be swimming in it in our city mad family!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Cherry picker!

Believe me, the "cherries" were few and far between in those days. The list of grounds I've been to is not very glamorous.

Lol, funny enough I will be doing likewise today at my great nephew's christening! Don't know about whetting the baby's head, he's likely to be swimming in it in our city mad family!
    I've only managed to find results grids going back as far as the 2007/08 season. Far easier to glance at those than plough through all the results! In that time no-one has managed to complete the double over all relegated teams from the Premier League, bar us. Boro came close in 2014/15, winning 5 and losing 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I've only managed to find results grids going back as far as the 2007/08 season. Far easier to glance at those than plough through all the results! In that time no-one has managed to complete the double over all relegated teams from the Premier League, bar us. Boro came close in 2014/15, winning 5 and losing 1.
    Good work and a nice stat. You can have that one on me!!