+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, How do we beat Reading

So, How do we beat Reading

I don’t care what the table says. Anyone can beat anyone in this league. Form doesn’t matter.

We need to win simple as that and Reading need the draw. I feel they will time waste from the first second so we need to go at them straight away.

Reading have some decent wingers. Both Aluko and Barrow will be able to cause us problems. As they’re quite quick I wouldn’t be surprised to see Manga benched again.

Chris Martin will be a handful if there’s only a 1 goal deficit.

We need to dominate the midfield. Their full backs seem exploitable.

My team

Etheridge
    Pelts-Bamba-Morrison-Bennett
    Patterson-Grujic (assuming Gunnar injured)
    NML-Ralls-Hoilett
    Zohore

Reading v Ipswich

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video...ng-0-4-ipswich

Wednesday vs Reading

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video...ay-3-0-reading

Re: So, How do we beat Reading

There does feel a slight air of “job done” after yesterday, like we just have to turn up next week. We could very easily come a cropper if we’re not 100% on it. I’m sure the NW and the players will not be taking this game lightly in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I don’t care what the table says. Anyone can beat anyone in this league. Form doesn’t matter.

We need to win simple as that and Reading need the draw. I feel they will time waste from the first second so we need to go at them straight away.

Reading have some decent wingers. Both Aluko and Barrow will be able to cause us problems. As they’re quite quick I wouldn’t be surprised to see Manga benched again.

My team

Etheridge
    NML-Ralls-Hoilett
    Zohore

Reading v Ipswich

Wednesday vs Reading

If you turn up with more than five players at kick off that should be enough to beat the most gutless and mentally fragile Reading team I have watched in the past 46 years.
    The last twenty minutes yesterday was the worst football I have ever seen the team produce.

I made the mistake you have of thinking Aluko was a winger. He drifts into central midfield every bloody game and has been useless. Barrow is an out and out winger and has done well for us. He is our only threat.
    Our central midfield is lightweight and it would help if Gunter learnt how to defend at full back. Moore and Ilori are decent centre backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    There does feel a slight air of “job done” after yesterday, like we just have to turn up next week. We could very easily come a cropper if we’re not 100% on it. I’m sure the NW and the players will not be taking this game lightly in any way.
    Indeed. I don’t care how bad 43 point reading who we only scraped a draw from away apparently are.

Anything can happen and unless we get a few early goals (when does that ever happen?) it’s going to be a ridiculously tense afternoon.

Imagine hearing Fulham are 2 up and we are 0-0 at half time. Reading nick one on break as we pile forward...... going to be very very tense.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Indeed. I don’t care how bad 43 point reading who we only scraped a draw from away apparently are.

Anything can happen and unless we get a few early goals (when does that ever happen?) it’s going to be a ridiculously tense afternoon.

Imagine hearing Fulham are 2 up and we are 0-0 at half time. Reading nick one on break as we pile forward...... going to be very very tense.
    When we played you at home we were in good form. Ironically your comeback in that game marked the turning point in our season. We have picked up less points than any other team in the division from that point on.

Etheridge
    NML-Ralls-Hoilett
    Zohore
    The first team i completely agree with from this forum. I dont think it is about personnel though, more about the hoofball tic tacs NW is obsessed with. Let get the ball out wide to NML and Hoilets feet please.

We have also discovered that Zohore cant head the ball for shit (please dont link that one freak headed goal by last season, ive seen him enough in person to come to this conclusion). So can we stop the 60 yard passes to him

We can beat Reading by scoring more goals than they do.
    Surprised no-one's thought of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I agree with Shitpeas.

This is the championship. Apparently Fulham are the best team in the world right now, but they were two bad refereeing decisions away from losing to relegated Sunderland on Friday. We really should win. In our run-in, this is probably our easiest game. Hell in our season, this is probably the easiest game (except Leeds). But while we should win, we haven't yet.

Didn't we beat Reading 3-0 at home once, when we were already down and they needed a point? Or was it Bristol Rovers?

Never thought i say this. But stand high in pressure, lots of crosses and high balls. I’d start Madine and put him and Morrison as targets in every corner or set piece. I’d start Manga over Bamba, simply because we need to move the ball arround. Tricky game this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolff View Post
    Never thought i say this. But stand high in pressure, lots of crosses and high balls. I’d start Madine and put him and Morrison as targets in every corner or set piece. I’d start Manga over Bamba, simply because we need to move the ball arround. Tricky game this one.
    Include Madine and drop Bamba? This is not mildly funny.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Wolff View Post
    Agree on Madine. He's become quite a contentious figure now and I wonder if we can't have a straight forward assessment of him. (We always seem to have one player that splits opinion). I don't agree with Neil that Madine was excellent against Norwich, but thought Neil was spot on when he said Madine was superb against Derby up until the miss. He should not have taken him off.

Reading will be a nervy affair and it makes total sense to stay with our direct style of the last few months. Madine is a much much better option than Big Ken for that type of game. Ken just doesn't win headers.

Don't agree on taking Bamba out for our last game. Player of the season.

My team

Etheridge
    NML-Ralls-Hoilett
    Zohore

Reading v Ipswich

Wednesday vs Reading

I missed out on your bit about Chris Martin. No disrespect but have not seen him play for us. Useless would be being too kind. He only gets on for the final minutes of games now. As poor a centre forward as I have ever seen.

With a Madine penalty in the 97th minute probably and soiled pants all round.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I missed out on your bit about Chris Martin. No disrespect but have not seen him play for us. Useless would be being too kind. He only gets on for the final minutes of games now. As poor a centre forward as I have ever seen.
    I guess its quite difficult to change a style of football as pronounced as the way Stam set out Reading when you have little or no ability to change the personnel. It looks like Clement has been experimenting with formations and personnel but has yet to get it right on both counts. Just hope Sunday is not the day that he happens on the right formula!

it would help if Gunter learnt how to defend at full back.
    From the highlights, he looked like he had a shocker yesterday & was responsible for 3 of the goals

Same as we have all season really, not give much away, be effective going forward, keep things simple.

We have to be really up for it, I don't see why anyone wouldn't be but we have to start the match with tempo and desire.

Essentially it's a cup final, all comes down to this. I don't think anyone in their right mind believes it's job done yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Agree on Madine. He's become quite a contentious figure now and I wonder if we can't have a straight forward assessment of him. (We always seem to have one player that splits opinion). I don't agree with Neil that Madine was excellent against Norwich, but thought Neil was spot on when he said Madine was superb against Derby up until the miss. He should not have taken him off.

Reading will be a nervy affair and it makes total sense to stay with our direct style of the last few months. Madine is a much much better option than Big Ken for that type of game. Ken just doesn't win headers.

Don't agree on taking Bamba out for our last game. Player of the season.
    Head would have went after the miss.

Thought to a degree it was the right call

Reading need a point ? Will they sit back ? We never at our best trying to break a team down.

I could imagine it being a boring one - with Reading planning on sitting lots of players behind the ball and hitting us on the counter attack, meaning Cardiff also playing deeper than usual.

I'd guess the plan will be to rely on long throws and corners, but we'll see.

Blue in the Face

Head would have went after the miss.

Thought to a degree it was the right call
    Maybe you're right. There seemed to be a sharp decline in Madine's playing level before he came off against Derby. I get the feeling that our fans chanting for Ken has a negative impact on Madine's confidence too. Noticed it a few times now. He seems a confidence player and lacking some since joining us. Think he's a player with more ability than he's showing us.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyBluebirds View Post
    I could imagine it being a boring one - with Reading planning on sitting lots of players behind the ball and hitting us on the counter attack, meaning Cardiff also playing deeper than usual.

I'd guess the plan will be to rely on long throws and corners, but we'll see.
    Think this is spot on. Hence me banging on about Madine. I can see Ken just not getting much of a sniff and might be more effective coming off the bench an hour into the game. Especially if Reading need a goal.

NML must start. Looks to be finding form again and seems to be a player who can turn it on in big games.

Bryson over Grujic.

We will absolutely be set up to try and win a point. We will be very defensive.

Play as we did at hull yesterday and we win the match and gain promotion. Simple as that.

Blue in the Face

We will absolutely be set up to try and win a point. We will be very defensive.
    So there won't be much space in behind? How are you on set pieces and against direct teams?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    So there won't be much space in behind? How are you on set pieces and against direct teams?
    We will struggle against Morrison from set pieces. My biggest issue is that we don’t have a single decent cdm. Our back four get zero protection from our central midfielders and our ful backs are very poor at stopping crosses into our box.

Turn up.