+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So, How do we beat Reading

Re: So, How do we beat Reading

This is the hardest working City team I've ever seen. And Warnock is the most pragmatic of managers. We'll just keep doing what we've been doing. Battle.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    We will struggle against Morrison from set pieces. My biggest issue is that we don’t have a single decent cdm. Our back four get zero protection from our central midfielders and our ful backs are very poor at stopping crosses into our box.
    Madine in the no.9 and Paterson in the 10 for me then.

Thanks traitor

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    We will struggle against Morrison from set pieces. My biggest issue is that we don’t have a single decent cdm. Our back four get zero protection from our central midfielders and our ful backs are very poor at stopping crosses into our box.
    I wouldn't worry then. We very rarely play for set pieces and when we do then don't put that many players in the box for fear of counter attacks!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I wouldn't worry then. We very rarely play for set pieces and when we do then don't put that many players in the box for fear of counter attacks!

I’m glad Birmingham have something to play for, full house there, won’t be at all easy for the media darlings. No doubt the fa, I mean ref, will send a brum player off anyway to smooth there path to victory

For me id keep the same back 5.

Grujic - off for Bryson on the hour
    Patterson
    Ralls

NML
    Madine
    Hoilett

If reading are after a point I can't see there being much space to exploit for Zohore to run into, use Madine and Patterson to soften them up ready for big Ken to take centre stage after an hour.

Someone made a good point the other day about Feeney crossing the ball, I'd be tempted to start him and keep NML to come on with Bryson and Ken for a late impact once they tire.

IMG_20180124_183344.jpg

I thought it would be interesting to use the above graphic (or an updated one for the entire season) to try to work out what approaches to the game Reading do well / badly against.

Then I started thinking of ways to actually do that, and it got quite complicated and in the end I couldn't be bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    IMG_20180124_183344.jpg

I thought it would be interesting to use the above graphic (or an updated one for the entire season) to try to work out what approaches to the game Reading do well / badly against.

Then I started thinking of ways to actually do that, and it got quite complicated and in the end I couldn't be bothered.
    If we don't go up it could be useful stadium cladding for next season though!

Give the first team a week off, go to the local pub pick 11 drunks out of a Cardiff local, play them, they would beat reading at the moment, who loses 4-0 at home to bloody Ipswich

Quote Originally Posted by Fulham traveller View Post
    Give the first team a week off, go to the local pub pick 11 drunks out of a Cardiff local, play them, they would beat reading at the moment, who loses 4-0 at home to bloody Ipswich
    Once again, it’s the Championship. We can do it of course, but Reading are not going to simply roll over for us. We’ll need to be at our best and work really hard if we are to get what we need.
    And I’m damn sure your lot will be the same up at Brum too.

One thing I don't see us doing is changing the way we have played for months in our final match. It's hardly a case of just turning up, but I do think that Saturday's win has taken us into no one to blame but ourselves category if it ends in tears on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    One thing I don't see us doing is changing the way we have played for months in our final match. It's hardly a case of just turning up, but I do think that Saturday's win has taken us into no one to blame but ourselves category if it ends in tears on Sunday.
    Definitely. It wasn’t such a high pressure match for both you’d expect us to beat Reading in the normal way.

A few positives even if we go bottle it

Less Sunday kick offs
    More games to attend with season ticket
    Easy points against Bristol

Would it suit both Cardiff and Reading if some situation ‘out of our control’ delayed our game by 20 or so minutes?

I’m convinced Reading need nothing from their final game and it would be nice if that was confirmed with almost a quarter of our match to spare.

Call it skullduggery, but if it’s good enough for Derby...

Have to say yet again that i'm gutted having to listen to the match via the radio and on my sick bed. But my heart will be with the Bluebirds as they play their last game of the season (i hope, unless the play offs), against a lack lustre Reading. Warnock is too old an hand to take any match 'lightly', especially this one with the promise of Premiership football depending on the outcome, result. Win and we're in the Premiership. Lose and it's the lottery of the play offs. Simple as that.

Can't help but feel that if the Bluebirds start the match and end the match on the attack whilst always remaining strong at the back then they will be victorious and achieve Premiership status. Success to the Bluebirds.

I'm not looking forward to Victor Mannone taking an age over every goal kick from a minute in.

It's going to be a nervy 90 minutes, especially once fulham go ahead. Ah what I'd give for a 3-0 half time lead...

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Have to say yet again that i'm gutted having to listen to the match via the radio and on my sick bed. But my heart will be with the Bluebirds as they play their last game of the season (i hope, unless the play offs), against a lack lustre Reading. Warnock is too old an hand to take any match 'lightly', especially this one with the promise of Premiership football depending on the outcome, result. Win and we're in the Premiership. Lose and it's the lottery of the play offs. Simple as that.

Can't help but feel that if the Bluebirds start the match and end the match on the attack whilst always remaining strong at the back then they will be victorious and achieve Premiership status. Success to the Bluebirds.
    It's on sky, so even if you don't have the sports package you'll find a stream for it

Get well soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Once again, it’s the Championship. We can do it of course, but Reading are not going to simply roll over for us. We’ll need to be at our best and work really hard if we are to get what we need.
    And I’m damn sure your lot will be the same up at Brum too.
    Reading have already given up, i see a comfortable 3-0 Cardiff win, ulu can’t make a case for reading, you could hull city, they have no fight in them, and you need that against Cardiff, like Ipswich, they will roll over. They can’t go down realisticly 66-1 tell you that

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    I'm not looking forward to Victor Mannone taking an age over every goal kick from a minute in.

It's going to be a nervy 90 minutes, especially once fulham go ahead. Ah what I'd give for a 3-0 half time lead...
    This is what I'm expecting. An early goal from Fulham and our fans get very nervy thanks to Reading trying to play for nil-nil.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post

Don’t worry you will win easily

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Jamsarnie View Post
    Would it suit both Cardiff and Reading if some situation ‘out of our control’ delayed our game by 20 or so minutes?

I’m convinced Reading need nothing from their final game and it would be nice if that was confirmed with almost a quarter of our match to spare.

Call it skullduggery, but if it’s good enough for Derby...
    Let's see if we can rent Derby's snow-machine!

Quote Originally Posted by BR1 Bluebird View Post
    This is what I'm expecting. An early goal from Fulham and our fans get very nervy thanks to Reading trying to play for nil-nil.
    Let's hope the away lot from hull Saturday take over and no nervous feelings from the fans come across to the players.

Let's just go out and enjoy the day and sing for 90 minutes, show the players we appreciate their efforts all season long, no matter the result. Clap, sing, just make noise.

With a £10m bonus riding on the Reading result the players are more nervous than anyone which could well affect their play. Reading will not be a pushover. If we were to play them at any other time we would win easily but with so much riding on the match the outcome is by no means a certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I don’t care what the table says. Anyone can beat anyone in this league. Form doesn’t matter.

We need to win simple as that and Reading need the draw. I feel they will time waste from the first second so we need to go at them straight away.

Reading have some decent wingers. Both Aluko and Barrow will be able to cause us problems. As they’re quite quick I wouldn’t be surprised to see Manga benched again.

Chris Martin will be a handful if there’s only a 1 goal deficit.

We need to dominate the midfield. Their full backs seem exploitable.

My team

Etheridge
    Pelts-Bamba-Morrison-Bennett
    Patterson-Grujic (assuming Gunnar injured)
    NML-Ralls-Hoilett
    Zohore

Reading v Ipswich

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video...ng-0-4-ipswich

Wednesday vs Reading

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video...ay-3-0-reading
    Is the answer, to score one more goal than they do?

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    With a £10m bonus riding on the Reading result the players are more nervous than anyone which could well affect their play. Reading will not be a pushover. If we were to play them at any other time we would win easily but with so much riding on the match the outcome is by no means a certainty.
    I wish we could've played our last game of the season during that eight-game winning streak.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I think the bonus pot could act as a significant encouragement for the players to put on a show and comfortably do the business on Sunday afternoon.