+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Reading Relegation - What Am I Missing ?

Reading Relegation - What Am I Missing ?

Am I right in thinking when considering the goal differences, there is no way that Reading can be relagated and as a result of their relegation, us not be promoted next week.

Re: Reading Relegation - What Am I Missing ?

They're only 2 points better off Burton but I think they're safe

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Am I right in thinking when considering the goal differences, there is no way that Reading can be relagated and as a result of their relegation, us not be promoted next week.
    Burton, Barnsley and Birmingham all need to win

We can miss out by:

Us losing and Fulham winning
    Us losing and Fulham getting a draw
    Us drawing and Fulham winning

All of which will mean Reading are safe.

If Burton Birmingham and Barnsley all win and they lose, they’re down.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Burton, Barnsley and Birmingham all need to win
    This. And as Burton are away to Preston, with Preston still in contention for the playoffs; Barnsley away to Derby, who are also desperate to win to keep their final play off spot and Birmingham at home to Fulham, who will also be desperate for three points to nick an automatic promotion spot should we slip up.

Therefore, it is mathematically possible for Reading to go down the odds are very much in favour of them staying up.

Having read your question again I am now unclear what you are asking. You start saying that because of goal difference they can't be relegated and then go on to ask what happens if they get relegated.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Having read your question again I am now unclear what you are asking. You start saying that because of goal difference they can't be relegated and then go on to ask what happens if they get relegated.
    Yes, in hindsight it was poorly written. I was trying to clarify if the combination of Cardiff not being promoted and Reading being relagated is impossible

Yes, in hindsight it was poorly written. I was trying to clarify if the combination of Cardiff not being promoted and Reading being relagated is impossible

If we draw with Reading Fulham can catch us by beating Birmingham but then Birmingham can't catch Reading. Even if they could, Burton would have to win by a double figure score. Realistically, Reading can only go down if we beat them.

Yep. Us not being promoted and Reading being relegated, are mutually exclusive. The only way Reading can be relegated is if we win. If we win we get promoted.

If we lose, Brum draw and Barnsley and Burton win we are down.