+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expat City Fans

Expat City Fans

Just wondered if any are in a similar situation to that of my brother and myself who live overseas and found themselves in a situation where whatsapp messages quickly escalated on a Saturday night.

I am on a family holiday in Italy this week and will be making a 6 hour drive home on the Saturday night, followed by a 730 am flight into Heathrow. Got a rental car booked and will hopefully be out by 830 am and arrive into Cardiff for 1130 am ready for a quick pint before kick off. Then there's my brother who is flying in from Chicago on the Friday night, all in the hope of watching the boys bring it home and seal automatic promotion.

Re: Expat City Fans

Quote Originally Posted by SuisseBluebird View Post
    Just wondered if any are in a similar situation to that of my brother and myself who live overseas and found themselves in a situation where whatsapp messages quickly escalated on a Saturday night.

I am on a family holiday in Italy this week and will be making a 6 hour drive home on the Saturday night, followed by a 730 am flight into Heathrow. Got a rental car booked and will hopefully be out by 830 am and arrive into Cardiff for 1130 am ready for a quick pint before kick off. Then there's my brother who is flying in from Chicago on the Friday night, all in the hope of watching the boys bring it home and seal automatic promotion.
    Have to be a very quick pint if your arriving at 11.30. Expect queues with the security checks. Enjoy your day.👍

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Good luck with the trip (and the 1 hour period in which you hope to collect your rental)
    I will be tuned in via the interweb and enjoy the occasion with The Ba Ria Vung Tao Casuals (I anticipate a crowd of between 5 and 9 others )
    👍🇻🇳/🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Good luck with the trip (and the 1 hour period in which you hope to collect your rental)
    I will be tuned in via the interweb and enjoy the occasion with The Ba Ria Vung Tao Casuals (I anticipate a crowd of between 5 and 9 others )
    👍🇻🇳/🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
    Land terminal 2, chose the nearest rental car place to the terminal and pre booked direct with them. Hopefully be quick in and out job.

Got to drive back early hours Monday morning for my 7am return flight as have to be back to the office for 10am local time. No bank holiday for me 😫

My friend is flying in from Sydney ozz.
    I'm gona have a few pints with him.

Flying in from France for the weekend Friday, bank holiday on the Tuesday so nice long weekend

That is an impressive itinerary from both of you - respect

Great stuff

Any more ex pats out there who are travelling long distances?

Spent a very pleasant evening in an Aussie bar in Vung Tao a year or so back. Cracking coastline, and one hell of a size Christ Statue!

I looked at flights yesterday. Over $2000.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I looked at flights yesterday. Over $2000.
    My brother is flying to Gatwick via Norwegian Air from Chicago, think he got his for $600 return. I'm pretty sure they fly out of New York too.

Massive respect for you lot. That’s commitment!

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Namaste View Post
    Spent a very pleasant evening in an Aussie bar in Vung Tao a year or so back. Cracking coastline, and one hell of a size Christ Statue!

The statue is taller than the one in Rio allegedly

Personally I prefer Long Hai to Vung Tao It’s just along the coast and has
    Far fewer tourists much less expensive sea food Plus the beach is much cleaner.

Cutting it fine. Border checks are pretty sh1t coming into the UK by air at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Cutting it fine. Border checks are pretty sh1t coming into the UK by air at the moment.
    Flew to Gatwick last Thursday was through passport check within 30 to 40 mins of landing.

Fingers crossed everything goes fine. Its the M4 I'm more worried about.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Great stuff

Making the long, long drive from sunny Weston Super Mare if that counts?

Depends where your landing gate at Heathrow is. Some of them are bloody miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Depends where your landing gate at Heathrow is. Some of them are bloody miles away.
    Terminal 2 has the direct shuttle bus to the rental car offices. But as you said fingers crossed my plane is at the main terminal and not at the end of one of the branches off from it.

But let there be no doubt if I arrive an hour early or 10 minutes late, I'll be there. Dependant on M4 of course.

There's also the small matter of seeing my brother for the first time in 18 months, but he can take a backseat for the City for now.

Terminal 2 has the direct shuttle bus to the rental car offices. But as you said fingers crossed my plane is at the main terminal and not at the end of one of the branches off from it.

But let there be no doubt if I arrive an hour early or 10 minutes late, I'll be there. Dependant on M4 of course.

There's also the small matter of seeing my brother for the first time in 18 months, but he can take a backseat for the City for now.
    I’ve never had any issues at Terminal 2, and as you say rental car shuttles are frequent. You’ll be fine. M4 should also be good that time of morning (don’t expect 1000’s of Reading fans will be making the trip.

NYC - try looking through Toronto or Montreal - would mean a change but I saw them for $700 CAD last week Unfortunately I’m buggered - got to be on the West Coast on Monday morning and there was nothing I could do to make it work.

There's been times when I've arrived at Heathrow and thought the walk to immigration was never going to end. But good luck, hope you make your pre-match pint.

Some people on here would be ideal for the vacant job as Job's comforter!

As if SuisseBluebird hasn't got enough to worry about with the game!

Bon voyage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    Making the long, long drive from sunny Weston Super Mare if that counts?
    WSM is piffle. Travelling from Taunton

My brother is flying to Gatwick via Norwegian Air from Chicago, think he got his for $600 return. I'm pretty sure they fly out of New York too.
    They do. Just came back 2 weeks ago from JFK.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Great stuff

Immigrants