+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: tree felling

tree felling

how much does it cost to cut a tree down

Re: tree felling

My son had a big willow cut down when he bought his new house,cost around £300.

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    Depends how big? Some places might do it for you cheaply and keep the wood to sell for log wood if it’s useable

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    My son had a big willow cut down when he bought his new house,cost around £300.
    £300, that's cheap for a house.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    £300, that's cheap for a house.
    definitely one of your better ones

Will also depend if the tree can be felled in one action, or as typical in built up areas it will need to be cut by section. Subsequently height of the tree is a major determining factor for cost of removal and increasingly out of control leylandii which were originally used for privacy on modern estates are providing steady work for the arborists

In the case of a sectional cut, you are not only paying for an arborist, but you will probably need a rope man. Also add into the equation if the tree branches are to be chipped, burnt or in some extreme cases skipped, and as stated earlier if they will keep the (hard/soft) wood and which should in effect be a part payment for the work.

Also check that they have 3rd Party Liability Insurance

Probably more expensive than buying a chainsaw.
    Thought about getting on YouTube and DIY?

Disclaimer: see above post!

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

There are also legal restrictions on how much and what type of wood can be felled, so you'll need to check you can do it.

I felled a silver birch that was about 22 feet tall.

Checked out the YouTube vids and wanted to bring it down in a gap of five feet (it could have gone into the garden of three neighbours!). Cut the wedge facing where I wanted it to fall with an ordinary saw and then cut opposite it, inserted a wedge, hit it and ran. It came down EXACTLY where I wanted it to fall.

The dodgy part was that when the two cuts were made, you could see the tree moving in the very light breeze - it could have been blown down anywhere. The vids don't tell you to check the wind speed!

Based on my experience, I'd advise you to bring in a professional (who doesn't have am Irish accent)

Hire a beaver.

Do you really need to fell it? Ever where I go i am seeing trees being chopped down.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I felled a silver birch that was about 22 feet tall.

Checked out the YouTube vids and wanted to bring it down in a gap of five feet (it could have gone into the garden of three neighbours!). Cut the wedge facing where I wanted it to fall with an ordinary saw and then cut opposite it, inserted a wedge, hit it and ran. It came down EXACTLY where I wanted it to fall.

The dodgy part was that when the two cuts were made, you could see the tree moving in the very light breeze - it could have been blown down anywhere. The vids don't tell you to check the wind speed!

Based on my experience, I'd advise you to bring in a professional (who doesn't have am Irish accent)
    thats about the same as this tree and silver birch only i cant walk to do it myself just got quoted about 350 from a proffesional

Trefelyn is the Welsh version.

Sorry to ask this in this thread but didn't want to turn the message board into some gardening board.

Does anyone have experience with getting the council to cut a tree, not the whole thing just part of it.

Have a massive ****er behind the house, sort of a wildlife area but the one tree is slowly each year coming closer to touching the roof.

I'm aware they wouldn't care much about light which is already blocked from about 2pm in the summer but from a safety point of view? Some of the branches that fall on the garden over the winter are quite large and we have young children.

Do you prefer it in a bed or up against a wall?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Sorry to ask this in this thread but didn't want to turn the message board into some gardening board.

Does anyone have experience with getting the council to cut a tree, not the whole thing just part of it.

Have a massive ****er behind the house, sort of a wildlife area but the one tree is slowly each year coming closer to touching the roof.

I'm aware they wouldn't care much about light which is already blocked from about 2pm in the summer but from a safety point of view? Some of the branches that fall on the garden over the winter are quite large and we have young children.
    From a legal point of view you can fell yourself any branches that are overhanging your garden from another property although it is worth trying to get the neighbours to do it for you, in this case is the area council owned?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    From a legal point of view you can fell yourself any branches that are overhanging your garden from another property although it is worth trying to get the neighbours to do it for you, in this case is the area council owned?
    True but be careful. If it has Tree Preservation Order (TPO) on it you could be committing a criminal offence. If it is genuinely a safety issue the Council will (should!) normally carry out the work on their own tree. If its a light/view issue they might not be so accommodating. If you start hacking about or felling one of their TPO'd trees you could find yourself in court

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

I bought a cheap chainsaw 50 quid took 6 conifers down , need a mate to help , saw or cut off the higher branches first then use chainsaw be careful good luck ,and may your god go with you , they are beasts,so practice first on something thin and low down like a small tree stem

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I bought a cheap chainsaw 50 quid took 6 conifers down , need a mate to help , saw or cut off the higher branches first then use chainsaw be careful good luck ,and may your god go with you , they are beasts,so practice first on something thin and low down like a small tree stem
    Got an 80ft muther****er to chop down, it’s going to be a mission, and an expensive one.

5 minutes sharpening the chain, and one pound in gas 👍

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Got an 80ft muther****er to chop down, it’s going to be a mission, and an expensive one.
    Now that's a big boy

The base is about 6ft wide so my little chain saw has no chance. Plus I’m sure all the old phuckers who live nearby would have heart attacks if they saw it coming down on their precious bungalows