+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: EFL Show on Sky sports

EFL Show on Sky sports

The EFL show on sky last night produced an interesting fact. No team in second place in the second tier of English football ever been passed on the lastday of the season in the last 30 years!

They all believe Cardiff will clinch second spot and Gareth Ainsworth who was a guest on the show said that Warnocks experience and the "mad Cardiff support" will push Cardiff into the premiership.

That's good enough for me and a better fact than an unbeaten 23 game run

Re: EFL Show on Sky sports

Quote Originally Posted by nearly 40 View Post
    The EFL show on sky last night produced an interesting fact. No team in second place in the second tier of English football ever been passed on the lastday of the season in the last 30 years!

They all believe Cardiff will clinch second spot and Gareth Ainsworth who was a guest on the show said that Warnocks experience and the "mad Cardiff support" will push Cardiff into the premiership.

Another nail in City’s coffin, definitely no chance now.

I used to belive that everytime there was a long record to be broken Cardiff would F$#k it up but not any more. Warnock will know how to relax the players and get the best out of them.

Great stat but nerves still in pieces!

The better stat and just as alarming is that no team in the position Cardiff were in before Xmas have ever failed to get promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by nearly 40 View Post

Presumably such a thing happened 31 years ago...

I wish I hadn't read this thread.

I’ve looked at what happened 30 years ago in the 87/88 season and the team who were pipped on the last day of the season was Middlesbrough who lost 2-1 at home Leicester. Villa then went above them after drawing 0-0 away at Swindon on goal difference.

There are a few additional facts to this

Middlesbrough were also promoted via the play offs after beating Chelsea.

Cardiff were also promoted this year from Division 4 as runners up to Wolves after beating Burnley away 2-1!

So the nervous lot – remember the last time a team was pipped on the last day they were also promoted and it’s 30 years to the day we went up as runners up to Wolves!