+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris Hughton

Chris Hughton

Firstly,let me qualify what I am about to ask by saying that I love Neil Warnock and what he has done for the club since he became manager.BUT....legend has it that Chris Hughton was interviewed for the City job when Dave Jones was sacked,but his PowerPoint presentation had the badges of another club on it(West Ham?)Obviously this didn’t go down too well with his prospective employers,and Malky Mackay was given the job.The question I am asking is,would you rather be where we are now,or would you rather Hughton was given the job and his career played out as it has at Brighton?Bear in mind the Malky racism episode which caused so much bad feeling, and the subsequent poor replacements,but also remember the red would probably have happened as well.

Re: Chris Hughton

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Foxton View Post
    Firstly,let me qualify what I am about to ask by saying that I love Neil Warnock and what he has done for the club since he became manager.BUT....legend has it that Chris Hughton was interviewed for the City job when Dave Jones was sacked,but his PowerPoint presentation had the badges of another club on it(West Ham?)Obviously this didn’t go down too well with his prospective employers,and Malky Mackay was given the job.The question I am asking is,would you rather be where we are now,or would you rather Hughton was given the job and his career played out as it has at Brighton?Bear in mind the Malky racism episode which caused so much bad feeling, and the subsequent poor replacements,but also remember the red would probably have happened as well.
    You can't know what would have happened had Hughton taken the job. As I remember, the board seemed more keen on getting the big named Alan Shearer to Cardiff. There are no guarantees that Hughton would have achieved at Cardiff what he later achieved at Brighton. However, he would have had a large transfer budget that would have helped him along. He wouldn't have survived the Premier League season, the club had laid its foundations on quick sand and the empire was always doomed to topple over.

It has a better chance next season when they are in the Premier League.

The Malky racism tweets were discovered AFTER he was sacked. Not saying that makes them okay - far from it - but he wasn't sacked because of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    You can't know what would have happened had Hughton taken the job. As I remember, the board seemed more keen on getting the big named Alan Shearer to Cardiff. There are no guarantees that Hughton would have achieved at Cardiff what he later achieved at Brighton. However, he would have had a large transfer budget that would have helped him along. He wouldn't have survived the Premier League season, the club had laid its foundations on quick sand and the empire was always doomed to topple over.

The Malky racism tweets were discovered AFTER he was sacked. Not saying that makes them okay - far from it - but he wasn't sacked because of them.
    It’s a very good point you make about having a better chance next season.Its a hypothetical question I’m asking though,and it’s asked on the assumption that Hughton’s career plays out the same as it has at Brighton.Who knows,Tan might have had a better working relationship with Hughton and better recruitment would have been in place

It’s a very good point you make about having a better chance next season.Its a hypothetical question I’m asking though,and it’s asked on the assumption that Hughton’s career plays out the same as it has at Brighton.Who knows,Tan might have had a better working relationship with Hughton and better recruitment would have been in place
    He may, possibly, have bought with an eye on the bigger picture. I thought that Mackay was buying promotion in 2013, and he wasn't looking beyond that. Hughton strikes me as a more confident person who, as a result of that confidence, may have recruited players that could have competed in a higher division. In fact, he has done it at Brighton.

Hughton has got Brighton to survive one season in the PL, so given that he would have been a better option than Mackay,

Cardiff's difficulties next season are that they will not be better than Wolves nor Fulham (if Fulham go up). When Cardiff win on Sunday, fans should be backing Derby in the play-offs because Derby will be straight back down. I also think that Cardiff need Huddersfield and Swansea to stay up this season. If they do, and if Fulham don't win the play-offs, there are already three teams worse than Cardiff in the Premier League. The other problem will be Warnock. Those tactics will cost them.

As has been proven, trusting YOUR memory is not something to be relied upon

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    So, Cardiff weren't trying to get Alan Shearer then?

Everyone's memory is fallible. It's a scientific fact.

I seem to remember the tweets were made public after he was sacked,but the implication was Tan knew about them beforehand and subsequently led to his sacking.

I seem to remember the tweets were made public after he was sacked,but the implication was Tan knew about them beforehand and subsequently led to his sacking.
    His poor memory almost certainly means your observation is spot on

We will probably never know. What we do know is that Cardiff had been hammered by Southampton the day before (3-0), and people on this board were claiming that directors left the director's box and went to the board room to discuss things whilst the game was ongoing. It seems more of a "footballing" decision to me, especially after Mackay complained he needed more money to buy players just a week or so earlier.

We will probably never know. What we do know is that Cardiff had been hammered by Southampton the day before (3-0), and people on this board were claiming that directors left the director's box and went to the board room to discuss things whilst the game was ongoing. It seems more of a "footballing" decision to me, especially after Mackay complained he needed more money to buy players just a week or so earlier.
    Are you sure people on this board were claiming that?

His poor memory almost certainly means your observation is spot on
    Yes, and it was just a coincidence Cardiff were hammered the day before with Tan calling director's into the boardroom whilst the game was ongoing.

After beating Swansea on November 3rd, Cardiff won 1 in 8 games. The manager was publicly asking for more money. In my opinion, it was a footballing decision and the evidence points that way.

Yes I am. I know I wasn't at the game, and I know I read things of that nature on here at the time, and indeed I commented on them. I am not saying that that is what happened, but I am saying those were the reports.

Here is the match report from WalesOnline - Tan left his seat with 5 minutes to go according to the reporter.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-malky-6446298

Can't say we would have gone up, but can say we WOULD have come down have a night off you thick ****.

The scenario proposed was "The question I am asking is,would you rather be where we are now,or would you rather Hughton was given the job and his career played out as it has at Brighton?"

dembethewarrior
    First Team

This message is hidden because dembethewarrior is on your ignore list.
    View Post
    Remove user from ignore list

Dembe - I am really sorry, no idea if you are replying to me or not - but you do seem to crop up a lot when I post. I have you on ignore, I can't really remember why, but I suspect I had a good reason to do it, and I have no reason to reverse it. Sorry fella, just thought I'd let you know to save you the effort (if you are actually responding to me).

dembethewarrior
    First Team

This message is hidden because dembethewarrior is on your ignore list.
    View Post
    Remove user from ignore list

Dembe - I am really sorry, no idea if you are replying to me or not - but you do seem to crop up a lot when I post. I have you on ignore, I can't really remember why, but I suspect I had a good reason to do it, and I have no reason to reverse it. Sorry fella, just thought I'd let you know to save you the effort (if you are actually responding to me).
    You should take him off ignore. He was being very complimentary in his post about you actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    You should take him off ignore. He was being very complimentary in his post about you actually.
    Vanity is not a valid reason that take him off ignore. I can't remember why I did put him on ignore but it would have been a valid reason. After all, I have yet to come up with a reason n to put you on ignore, no matter how hard I try!

Vanity is not a valid reason that take him off ignore. I can't remember why I did put him on ignore but it would have been a valid reason. After all, I have yet to come up with a reason n to put you on ignore, no matter how hard I try!
    More memory problems?

(Jokes.........)

Nos da.

Didn't Vincent Tan phone Carl while he was interviewing Shearer for his opinion or something?

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Didn't Vincent Tan phone Carl while he was interviewing Shearer for his opinion or something?
    baD dESisHuN

He may, possibly, have bought with an eye on the bigger picture. I thought that Mackay was buying promotion in 2013, and he wasn't looking beyond that. Hughton strikes me as a more confident person who, as a result of that confidence, may have recruited players that could have competed in a higher division. In fact, he has done it at Brighton.

Hughton has got Brighton to survive one season in the PL, so given that he would have been a better option than Mackay,

Cardiff's difficulties next season are that they will not be better than Wolves nor Fulham (if Fulham go up). When Cardiff win on Sunday, fans should be backing Derby in the play-offs because Derby will be straight back down. I also think that Cardiff need Huddersfield and Swansea to stay up this season. If they do, and if Fulham don't win the play-offs, there are already three teams worse than Cardiff in the Premier League. The other problem will be Warnock. Those tactics will cost them.
    How do you know that we wont be better than Wolves or Fulham if we are in the Premier League next year. Do you have a crystal ball ?. You have no idea who we will sign or how much we will spend. Wolves and Fulham will also lose players like Neves, Jota, Sessegnon etc to bigger clubs. You make it up as you go along. Why dont you try and say something positive about City for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    baD dESisHuN

Don't worry Carl missed the call cos he was out social eyesing with Athletico Balaeres fans (for those interested)

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    How do you know that we wont be better than Wolves or Fulham if we are in the Premier League next year. Do you have a crystal ball ?. You have no idea who we will sign or how much we will spend. Wolves and Fulham will also lose players like Neves, Jota, Sessegnon etc to bigger clubs. You make it up as you go along. Why dont you try and say something positive about City for a change.
    I'm quite confident that promotion to the PL will see a change of style somewhat.For me,endorsed when apparently the other night on the Debate(sky)Bellamy's answer to Murphy's assertion that Cardiff won't survive playing our current style was answered with "lets see when we get there first"hinting that the current managerial encumbant is well aware of our shortcommings in relation to the PL.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    I'm quite confident that promotion to the PL will see a change of style somewhat.For me,endorsed when apparently the other night on the Debate(sky)Bellamy's answer to Murphy's assertion that Cardiff won't survive playing our current style was answered with "lets see when we get there first"hinting that the current managerial encumbant is well aware of our shortcommings in relation to the PL.
    Warnock has already said it would be to model on Burnley.

Which means to get relegated in first season (everyone forgets dyche took Burnley straight back down) then have a go at going back up and surviving.

It was being claimed at the time that Tan left the ground at half time (Southampton scored all of their goals in the first half an hour I think).

It's not my recollection that Tan knew about the racist tweets before Mackay was sacked. Wasn't there something about Tan getting an injunction to search Mackay and Moody's homes months after they were dismissed by City and it was then that they were found?

This piece would appear to confirm that because it says they were discovered in 2014.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ncent-Tan.html

As for Chris Hughton, he was sacked as Norwich manager a few weeks before their relegation along with us was confirmed and he signed a big money striker in Ricky van Wolfswinkel who was almost as much of a disaster as Andreas Cornelius was. However, Hughton's managerial record over a number of years has been a good one and I reckon he would have been an excellent appointment for us.