+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Six decades of Cardiff City v Reading matches.

Six decades of Cardiff City v Reading matches.

Re: Six decades of Cardiff City v Reading matches.

Good questions TOBW. I haven't got a clue though.

60s Mike Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    60s Mike Walker
    Yes.

Adrian Popa for the last one

60s Mike Walker
    He's not someone I wanted to be reminded of this particular weekend !

80s Muhammed Ali?

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Adrian Popa for the last one
    Correct.

00’s- Andy Campbell and Darren Williams?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The 70s is Robin Friday (good question, Super Furry Animals would've made it too easy)

I'm with Cardiff55 for the 80s, it definitely looks like Mohammad Ali but I honestly can't remember him being with either us or Reading.

The 90s is Shaka Hislop, Lee Bullock rather than Andy Campbell for the 00s.

00’s Lee bullock and Darren Williams actually? Whitby being the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    The 70s is Robin Friday (good question, Super Furry Animals would've made it too easy)

I'm with Cardiff55 for the 80s, it definitely looks like Mohammad Ali but I honestly can't remember him being with either us or Reading.

The 90s is Shaka Hislop, Lee Bullock rather than Andy Campbell for the 00s.
    Someone will have to explain to me the connection between Riverside FC, Steely Dan and Robin Friday. I did work out that Steely Dan is an anagram of “Deny Steal” and since theft was one of Robbing Friday’s attractive personality traits that made his stay at Ninian Park such a roaring success, I thought that might be something to do with it.

Someone will have to explain to me the connection between Riverside FC, Steely Dan and Robin Friday. I did work out that Steely Dan is an anagram of “Deny Steal” and since theft was one of Robbing Friday’s attractive personality traits that made his stay at Ninian Park such a roaring success, I thought that might be something to do with it.
    I just took it that Friday had played for us and Reading and was on the front of the SFA single, The Man don't give a **** which samples a Steely Dan track.

I just took it that Friday had played for us and Reading and was on the front of the SFA single, The Man don't give a **** which samples a Steely Dan track.
    You've got virtually all of it, but SFA sponsored our shirts in the Welsh Premier Cup or whatever it was called in 99/00 and we played in a chocolate and amber kit with their name on it at least once in that season's competition.

Shaka Hislop is right, as is Lee Bullock and Darren Williams - it wasn't Ali of course who played for us in the 80s, I seem to remember he was on the bench for Mansfield in that game against us when they also had Daley Thompson as one of their subs.

I'll post the answer to the 80s question on the blog in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You've got virtually all of it, but SFA sponsored our shirts in the Welsh Premier Cup or whatever it was called in 99/00 and we played in a chocolate and amber kit with their name on it at least once in that season's competition.

Shaka Hislop is right, as is Lee Bullock and Darren Williams - it wasn't Ali of course who played for us in the 80s, I seem to remember he was on the bench for Mansfield in that game against us when they also had Daley Thompson as one of their subs.

I'll post the answer to the 80s question on the blog in a minute.
    My favourite ever city kit. Got it ready to wear today.

Oh well, that explains it. Super Furry Animals were never a band I was particularity interested in and my opinion of them plummeted when they jumped on the Robin Friday bandwagon probably never having seen him play or knowing anything about him. Now I find they have sullied the good name of one of my favourite bands by associating them indirectly with the useless Friday. The day can only get better

Oh well, that explains it. Super Furry Animals were never a band I was particularity interested in and my opinion of them plummeted when they jumped on the Robin Friday bandwagon probably never having seen him play or knowing anything about him. Now I find they have sullied the good name of one of my favourite bands by associating them indirectly with the useless Friday. The day can only get better
    That’s a harsh comment about a band who sponsored our kit for a competition that would never get more than a thousand people per game in the bad old days. They are genuine football fans in fairness.

They were playing as wales in computer games and using it as their music videos in the mid 90s when we were really really bad. Think it was play it cool. My song for today! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knImDxylC1k

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    That’s a harsh comment about a band who sponsored our kit for a competition that would never get more than a thousand people per game in the bad old days. They are genuine football fans in fairness.

They were playing as wales in computer games and using it as their music videos in the mid 90s when we were really really bad. Think it was play it cool. My song for today! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knImDxylC1k
    I don’t think I’ve made any harsh comments about them or even made any comment about them musically. I’ve just said that they didn’t interest me particularly. Had I made more effort to listen to their music more I might have liked it. Who knows ?