+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A big 6 days for the city of Cardiff

A big 6 days for the city of Cardiff

Tomorrow Cardiff City can elevate the city by getting promoted to the premier league and 6 days later Cardiff blues can gain European glory , I know for a lot of you , you won’t care less about the rugby but I have to go back to 2008/2009 season when on the same day Cardiff city needed a point against Sheffield Wed away to guarantee a play off place . The city had been in the top 6 all season and it went to the final day.
    As you know They lost 1-0 and failed in their quest to get 6th place. They lost to Preston who having beaten us 6-0 a few weeks before claimed the last play off spot by goal difference. If they had beat us only 5-0 the city would have got 6th.
    At the same time Cardiff blues were up against Leicester in the semi final of the Heineken cup. It’s the only time a rugby match has been decided by a penalty shoot out
    The game two-ed and fro-ed and went to extra time and then a penalty shoot out
    Each kick was successfully taken and it went to Martin Williams the man of the match in my eyes to kick the pen to keep Cardiff in the shoot out , he missed!!
    The reason I’m telling you all this is that at the time I was living in Australia
    I had the city on the radio and the rugby on the telly
    The city game finished first and we failed and then the blues lost on a penalty shoot out.
    I felt so low, I had the piss taken out of me by my English chums for weeks
    Cardiff city a team of bottlers and Cardiff rugby stuffed by superior English rugby

I’ve have waited since that day in 2009 for my city to redeem itself.
    Starting tomorrow this Cardiff city team is not a team of bottlers and my honest opinion is we will not be beaten, this team of players and this manager will not allow it
    Then 6 days later Cardiff blues have the chance of European glory in Bilbao.
    I will be there tomorrow supporting the city with all my might and then in 6 days time I will be in Bilbao to support the blues
    What a 6 days for the city

Re: A big 6 days for the city of Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by walinoz View Post
    Tomorrow Cardiff City can elevate the city by getting promoted to the premier league and 6 days later Cardiff blues can gain European glory , I know for a lot of you , you won’t care less about the rugby but I have to go back to 2008/2009 season when on the same day Cardiff city needed a point against Sheffield Wed away to guarantee a play off place . The city had been in the top 6 all season and it went to the final day.
    As you know They lost 1-0 and failed in their quest to get 6th place. They lost to Preston who having beaten us 6-0 a few weeks before claimed the last play off spot by goal difference. If they had beat us only 5-0 the city would have got 6th.
    At the same time Cardiff blues were up against Leicester in the semi final of the Heineken cup. It’s the only time a rugby match has been decided by a penalty shoot out
    Each kick was successfully taken and it went to Martin Williams the man of the match in my eyes to kick the pen to keep Cardiff in the shoot out , he missed!!
    The reason I’m telling you all this is that at the time I was living in Australia
    The city game finished first and we failed and then the blues lost on a penalty shoot out.
    Cardiff city a team of bottlers and Cardiff rugby stuffed by superior English rugby

Starting tomorrow this Cardiff city team is not a team of bottlers and my honest opinion is we will not be beaten, this team of players and this manager will not allow it
    I will be there tomorrow supporting the city with all my might and then in 6 days time I will be in Bilbao to support the blues
    City will win. As for the Cardiff Blues, I hope they get annihilated.

Quote Originally Posted by walinoz View Post

The Greatest and The Bluebirds in harmony

Before this post I had no idea Cardiff Blues were in a final , back in the day that would have made big news, how much club / region rugby has fallen away in interest, probably down to the only show in Wales that peeks public intrest ,the national side .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Before this post I had no idea Cardiff Blues were in a final , back in the day that would have made big news, how much club / region rugby has fallen away in interest, probably down to the only show in Wales that peeks public intrest ,the national side .
    I think regional rugby has fallen away in interest, but I wonder if its days may be hurtling towards an end? The Pro-12 will no longer be on free-to-air TV and BBC Wales will be surely considering showing other rugby in its place. Maybe it will look at the top division of the club game, which could reignite that?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think regional rugby has fallen away in interest, but I wonder if its days may be hurtling towards an end? The Pro-12 will no longer be on free-to-air TV and BBC Wales will be surely considering showing other rugby in its place. Maybe it will look at the top division of the club game, which could reignite that?
    Yes, I heard that my Friday evening tv may be spoiled by even more egg. Fecking hope not. Have not got the slightest interest and didn't even know our former tenants were playing.

I'm no fan of rugby, but I hope Cardiff win.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'm no fan of rugby, but I hope Cardiff win.
    As a Cardiffian I suppose I should want them to win, but really , I couldn't care less.

I don't get it. I would want us to win in anything, whatever it is as long as its Cardiff. Don't follow rugby but would want them to win. I do pop down the devils every now and again and they are the best in the UK so thats good.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

The introduction of Regions nearly spelled doom for the local club sides and supporters. Rugby has never been the same in Wales since.

Football has never had to go through a similar struggle for identity

If Cardiff was playing tiddlywinks even if I wasn’t actively supporting them I would be hoping they would do well

Blooooobirds

Bloootiddles doesn’t quite cut it

Heard the Cardiff blues semi and the roar of “Cardiff Cardiff” towards the end was impressive.

However I can’t imagine many pointy fans joining in with that- and the blues are their region every bit as much as Cardiff.

It’s pretty poor they couldn’t fill a 12.5k stadium for a European semi on a Saturday mind. How many are going to Bilbao?

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    City will win. As for the Cardiff Blues, I hope they get annihilated.
    Why?