+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Hard championship this season

Hard championship this season

Just read a tweet:
    Looking back at 2012-13 Championship season, Cardiff went up as champions that year with 87pts. Third-placed Fulham already have one more point than that this year. Peterborough went down with 54pts, which would have you 13pts above the drop zone right now this year

What a job Warnock has done

Re: Hard championship this season

Doesn’t that data make 2012-13 a much harder year?

it's been harder to go up as you need more points. But it was harder to stay up in 2012-13. I suppose it means it was a tighter league in 2012-13, as the point difference from top to bottom was shorter.

I do think there are about 6/7 really poor sides this season. I wouldn’t normally say that in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    I do think there are about 6/7 really poor sides this season. I wouldn’t normally say that in this league.
    There's always 6-7 shite teams

I have a theory that the harder the season, the fewer overall points won.

When we went up in 2013 there were 1511 total points gained in the division.

Subsequent years range from 1484 in 2016 to 1526 last season. Newcastle were champions last year with 94 points, Burnley in 2016 with 93.

This year, with 36 points still at stake we're at 1475. Wolves have 99 points.

The overall quality is a lot higher, there were teams down in 11th/12th still with genuine chances of a playoff finish with around 4 games to go. But there is some utter shite in this division (I'm looking at you, Sunderland)

Does the fact that two relegation battlers (Bolton and Sunderland) had their best strikers/top scorers taken off them in January by promotion challengers imply a higher overall quality though?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The overall quality is a lot higher, there were teams down in 11th/12th still with genuine chances of a playoff finish with around 4 games to go. But there is some utter shite in this division (I'm looking at you, Sunderland)

Does the fact that two relegation battlers (Bolton and Sunderland) had their best strikers/top scorers taken off them in January by promotion challengers imply a higher overall quality though?
    Yep that’s the way I see it. A few years ago it really was anyone could beat anyone as there was hardly anything between the teams. I think that’s different now.

Of course upsets do happen- just like they do in the premier league but it’s no more likely than there now. The bottom 6 or 7 are particularly poor from what I’ve seen- and the fact they have so few points between them supports this.