+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Was yesterday almost an anti-climax in the end?

Was yesterday almost an anti-climax in the end?

I went into the game prepared for an afternoon of tension and twists. I was expecting Reading to score at some point, Fulham to get an early goal and for spells of us needing a goal, laying siege on the Reading defence and not getting the breakthrough. I thought the team in 2nd place in the live table would change a few times.

As it was, Birmingham got an early goal, then a second, and it was all done and dusted. Nice and easy. Certainly, when it came to the second half, played in the spirit of the football match held during the 1914 truce, our promotion was never at any stage under threat. For all of the anguish, frayed nerves etc of recent months, this was a stroll in the woods, sucking a lollipop. Twice now has a 0-0 bore fest got us promotion! Bloody marvellous!

Re: Was yesterday almost an anti-climax in the end?

You got more bottle than me. I was chewing my finger nails with 2-1 Fulham, fully expecting a comeback. Only at 3-1 did I relax!

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    You got more bottle than me. I was chewing my finger nails with 2-1 Fulham, fully expecting a comeback. Only at 3-1 did I relax!
    I must admit that I didn't hear about Fulham pulling one back until a few minutes later when one guy shouted out "oh f*ck" with his phone in his hand, for a few to turn around to look at him. He continued "Our wives are going to meet up with us later." Cue lots of laughter!

This

Although I still didn't believe it until Brum was in to 6 minutes added on time 3-1 I just wanted us to score to make sure

Not for me as we didn’t get the goal to seal it. Was never comfortable there wouldn’t be any drama until Brum got the 3rd.

The tension was spoiled yesterday with Birmingham giving a bloody nose to Fulham and especially the 1/2 time score, I think we could have pressed on to win if we had needed, the brum keeper made an outstanding save to keep it 2-1, if that had have gone in then the oh f@ck scenario would have just been typical City it was a pleasant change to have a reasonably relaxed situation.

Fulham went all that time unbeaten to fold on the final day when 2nd spot was there for the taking, football is bizarre

Celebrations after were last game at ninian Park esque.

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    Fulham went all that time unbeaten to fold on the final day when 2nd spot was there for the taking, football is bizarre
    But that sort of thing happens. Pressure of chasing all the time probably got to them in the end. We were a nut they couldn't crack.

I must admit, i would have liked a goal to settle my nerves

When Reading fans started to chant " come on Fulham " i knew they had scored, i couldnt get any 3/4 G on my phone, just kept on giving me a Error

Nah, that final whistle and pitchcbinvasion made it all worthwhile. Warnock posing for snaps with fans, VT who’s gone frommone of the most hated owners to be greeted by fans and that lovely speech from NW when he acknowledged his wife and the fans chanted ‘there’s only one Mrs Warnock’
    A great day concluded by singing all you need is love at the Motorpoint.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    A lot of posters on here were confident Fulham would stumble at some point and taa daa they did it in style when it mattered most

From the point of on field action I think the game itself was pretty dire, but by design. I think both managers were more than aware events elsewhere would determine what was needed to satisfy both teams. As it turned out Fulham blinked first and Warnock said he was relieved at half time when he knew the Fulham scoreline, I think he also said the players could take a breather in the second half.
    I honestly believe once Reading knew they were safe if we needed the win they would have "obliged" so to speak if we had to go for it.
    Roll over ? No but less resistance yes ! A well managed / engineered result all around I`d say.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    A lot of posters on here were confident Fulham would stumble at some point and taa daa they did it in style when it mattered most
    A couple of months ago I said it would be impossible for both Fulham and Villa to go to from that point the end of the season unbeaten. Regardless of form, there's always a defeat along the line somewhere. I admit I didn't think Fulham would lose yesterday, having done so well to get where they had.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    Nah, that final whistle and pitchcbinvasion made it all worthwhile. Warnock posing for snaps with fans, VT who’s gone frommone of the most hated owners to be greeted by fans and that lovely speech from NW when he acknowledged his wife and the fans chanted ‘there’s only one Mrs Warnock’
    A great day concluded by singing all you need is love at the Motorpoint.
    Aye, that was bloody brilliant. I was talking more in terms of how promotion unfolded.

Some of you must have tighter arses than me I was shiting bricks up to the end typical Cardiff we can never do anything simple

Not for a amazing safe from stockdale in the 87th minute ( I thought it was in ) there could of been a real dramatic finish, truth was we never got going and better team won

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I went into the game prepared for an afternoon of tension and twists. I was expecting Reading to score at some point, Fulham to get an early goal and for spells of us needing a goal, laying siege on the Reading defence and not getting the breakthrough. I thought the team in 2nd place in the live table would change a few times.

As it was, Birmingham got an early goal, then a second, and it was all done and dusted. Nice and easy. Certainly, when it came to the second half, played in the spirit of the football match held during the 1914 truce, our promotion was never at any stage under threat. For all of the anguish, frayed nerves etc of recent months, this was a stroll in the woods, sucking a lollipop. Twice now has a 0-0 bore fest got us promotion! Bloody marvellous!
    I am going to go with a no as logically it was all about getting promoted and anything else would have been the icing on the cake.
    That said ,all these years of following the City makes me a natural half empty type so for it to be so , relatively, straight forward probably meets my natural pessimistic outlook and therefore it should qualify as an anti climatic experience.

Frankly though it doesn't matter as a still have a silly grin on my face and I don't have the play offs to worry about.

To be fair it could have gone better. We should have won, and thank feck Fulham didn't!

If wed needed the win wed have got the win i reckon. 2nd half was a stroll.

I watched in a sports bar down Devon Cliffs. About 10 City fans in there altogether. I’ve never been so nervous 1st half but when Birmingham went 2up I relaxed. Not how I expected both games to go. It was fine until Fulham scored but legs turned to jelly when they showed Cairney scoring. I went to toilet as couldn’t watch anymore but as I came back it showed Che Adams goal so knew job done then.

The atmosphere sounded incredible on the tv so can’t imagine what it was like to in the ground.

Mrs Hartley let me have 2 hours off family duties to watch the game but had to shoot off down the beach with the kids then so haven’t caught up with any of the aftermath celebrations / interviews. Did I dream this or did I see Tan being chaired by the crowd?

Would have liked to have scored but it doesn't really matter

The Fulham score meant that it was just a party atmosphere from around the 40th minute on until Fulham scored and then absolute ecstasy when Brum got their third

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    But that sort of thing happens. Pressure of chasing all the time probably got to them in the end. We were a nut they couldn't crack.
    The last blwdi game though

I appreciate what you're saying though

Was feeling pretty calm until we heard Fulham had scored and the guy in front said they nearly made it 2-2. Could just see Reading getting a break away goal in the 93rd then Mitrovic scoring with with the last kick to pip us on goal difference. Nobody could get a signal in injury time and I refused to believe we were up until the pitch invasion.