+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comments from Craig Bellamy yesterday

Comments from Craig Bellamy yesterday

Craig Bellamy was one of the Sky Sports analysts yesterday and he had some very interesting things to say about Neil Warnock, the outstanding job he has done since he arrived at Cardiff City, the state of the club beforehand, the football the team now plays, etc. His comments in the build-up to the game were particularly interesting - well worth watching if you've recorded it.

I felt two things he said were a bit harsh, though. He claimed that City have bullied sides in the Championship throughout this season, which I don't think is entirely fair. I reckon he was spot on when he said the team's main goal is generally to stop the opposition playing and they've certainly managed to do that often enough from what I've seen, but I think the term 'bullying' was a bit strong. The Bluebirds are definitely a good deal more physical than most teams at this level, but I don't believe they've crossed the line in that respect very often.

Bellamy also said the team is not at all interested in the ball. I can understand what he means, but again I think that was a little harsh. What do you reckon?

Re: Comments from Craig Bellamy yesterday

I heard that and I think the only thing that was harsh was the not interested in the ball. I think if hed said we were not interested in playing with the ball in our own half he would be fair.

No problem with the bullying comments. Agree with them. You can bully someone quite legally on the pitch.

Im pretty sure a lot of centre forwards wont fancy a afternoon facing Bamba and Morrison and id include Peltier as well.

We are not dirty but we are very physical. Brentford for example completely folded. A young team playing nice football who at the end didnt fancy it.

Enjoyed the Bellamy interview. Its a style he wouldnt use but I think he summed us up fairly well.

I think we will be a nightmare for some soft touch PL outfits next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    No problem with the bullying comments. Agree with them. You can bully someone quite legally on the pitch.
    To me, the phrase 'bullying' suggests something nasty is going on, but from what I've seen City have been remarkably disciplined this season. It's been one of their biggest strengths. There were Warnock teams of the past who have definitely been bullies (his Sheffield United side springs to mind), but I don't think City are in the same category. Physical and committed, but not bullies.

I think bullying in a footballing context can mean dominating your opponent fairly. Some of Zahore’s goals I think can be decscribed like that for instance. I think it’s probably fair when we’ve been at our best.

Haven’t heard it but like listening to Bellamy so if anybody comes across it pls throw up a link.

I heard that and I think the only thing that was harsh was the not interested in the ball. I think if hed said we were not interested in playing with the ball in our own half he would be fair.

Im pretty sure a lot of centre forwards wont fancy a afternoon facing Bamba and Morrison and id include Peltier as well.

We are not dirty but we are very physical. Brentford for example completely folded. A young team playing nice football who at the end didnt fancy it.

Enjoyed the Bellamy interview. Its a style he wouldnt use but I think he summed us up fairly well.

We are as soft as shit yet our disciplinary record is far worse than Cardiff’s. You are a physical side but not a dirty one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    To me, the phrase 'bullying' suggests something nasty is going on, but from what I've seen City have been remarkably disciplined this season. It's been one of their biggest strengths. There were Warnock teams of the past who have definitely been bullies (his Sheffield United side springs to mind), but I don't think City are in the same category. Physical and committed, but not bullies.
    I took that comment to mean that we physically dominate rather than use underhand dirty tactics. I liked the comment about having no interest in the ball. I assumed he was referring to not having interest in possession stats but I could be wrong. I liked that everyone acknowledges how the team plays the game. Bellamy is an interesting pundit. He doesn't speak in cliche and he has his own clear views and doesn't seem to much care if you agree or not, which gives what he says a degree of integrity.

Can’t see us getting the rub of the green next year with the refs. Yesterday’s was bad enough with Zohore penalised for any time he shielded the ball

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Can’t see us getting the rub of the green next year with the refs. Yesterday’s was bad enough with Zohore penalised for any time he shielded the ball
    Couple of tackles by Reading that would have been praised on the rugby pitch went unpunished yesterday
    For ex the sub Kelly who came in rt back. Twice he didn’t bother with the ball just took out the player No card

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I took that comment to mean that we physically dominate rather than use underhand dirty tactics. I liked the comment about having no interest in the ball. I assumed he was referring to not having interest in possession stats but I could be wrong. I liked that everyone acknowledges how the team plays the game. Bellamy is an interesting pundit. He doesn't speak in cliche and he has his own clear views and doesn't seem to much care if you agree or not, which gives what he says a degree of integrity.
    He's really good as a pundit, always interesting. His comments about this season's Championship were spot on in my opinion. It will be fascinating to see how things work out if he does move into management. Personally, I reckon a full-time career as a pundit would probably suit him better, but you never know.

I think in football terms bullying isn’t a negative thing at all. We aren’t dirty at all but we are just a team of absolute beasts.

International

I wouldn't be surprised to see Neil coaching Bellamy and his taking over when Nail goes upstairs.
    If he keeps the Wsarnock staff he could do a lot worse, and so could we.

I could listen to Bellamy talk about football all day. I saw he was on sky and said on way out it wouldn’t surprise me if Bellamy ends up managing the club at some point next season. I doubt bookies are taking bets but I am sure he will be the next manager of Cardiff City.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    I could listen to Bellamy talk about football all day. I saw he was on sky and said on way out it wouldn’t surprise me if Bellamy ends up managing the club at some point next season. I doubt bookies are taking bets but I am sure he will be the next manager of Cardiff City.
    I’m not sure that Bellamy has the right temperament for a top manager - he doesn’t protect anyone and says it as it is, which in certain circumstances is refreshing but could crush a player.

When things are crap, he doesn’t hide it.

I’m not sure that Bellamy has the right temperament for a top manager - he doesn’t protect anyone and says it as it is, which in certain circumstances is refreshing but could crush a player.

It would certainly be interesting. I wonder if he will stick around as he’s perfevtly placed for it right now.

He's really good as a pundit, always interesting. His comments about this season's Championship were spot on in my opinion. It will be fascinating to see how things work out if he does move into management. Personally, I reckon a full-time career as a pundit would probably suit him better, but you never know.
    I have been wondering for a while Dave if they are grooming him to take the spitting scouser’s place on Monday night football.

His role as a pundit is to say it as it is, or at least that's the way he views it.

That doesn't translate to him throwing players under the bus publicly, does it? Given the way he confronted Shearer about that, I'd doubt very much he'd bury players publicly - in the dressing room, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    His role as a pundit is to say it as it is, or at least that's the way he views it.

That doesn't translate to him throwing players under the bus publicly, does it? Given the way he confronted Shearer about that, I'd doubt very much he'd bury players publicly - in the dressing room, sure.
    https://youtu.be/YiFksC48ixE

https://youtu.be/OQO0voslZAA

https://youtu.be/GT3LcU-zBac

Stuff like this from Bellers is not uncommon

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Nicely put and sums up my interpretation of his words.

I also think he makes an excellent pundit. Enjoy his insight and single mindedness

Great pundit Dave, and I am of the opinion he has a future in football management. As a poster on here said - I could listen to him talk football all day.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post

Didn’t stop him crucifying John Terry in a post match interview ...

Whoscored is a good source of stats on this. For a side that is supposed to be a bullying team, we've only had 1 sending off and 82 bookings. That number of yellow cards is roughly the divisional average.

In terms of blocking shots and crosses, we've around the divisional average. However, we've managed more interceptions than any other team in the division (90 more than 2nd place!) and we're high up in the number of successful tackles and not being dribbled past. We are 2nd in a table of fouls committed, yet the number of fouls we make don't correlate to the number of bookings we've had.

It suggests, maybe, that we're more of an ugly team to play against because we're always in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Powis blue View Post
    I have been wondering for a while Dave if they are grooming him to take the spitting scouser’s place on Monday night football.
    That could well be a possibility I reckon. It was noticeable that Sky, who have had Danny Gabbidon as a pundit for most City games this season, wheeled Bellamy out for the game that was likely to draw the biggest audience. Personally, I struggle to see Bellamy as management material.

That could well be a possibility I reckon. It was noticeable that Sky, who have had Danny Gabbidon as a pundit for most City games this season, wheeled Bellamy out for the game that was likely to draw the biggest audience. Personally, I struggle to see Bellamy as management material.
    I think he speaks well and demonstrates a good knowledge of the game. I've enjoyed listening to him on the Debate.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Didn’t stop him crucifying John Terry in a post match interview ...
    When did he play alongside John Terry?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think he speaks well and demonstrates a good knowledge of the game. I've enjoyed listening to him on the Debate.
    He was excellent yesterday. Very interesting, particularly with respect to Warnock and the state of the club before he arrived. My only criticism of him as a pundit is that he begins so many sentences with "listen...."