+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Players to be released?

Re: Players to be released?

Current squad size is 26 named professionals, plus 7 loans out & 6 loans in. So currently 33 with contracts.

Of the 33, the following 10 contracts are up in the summer:
    Murphy, Wilson, Konopka
    Coxe,Halford, Gunnarsson, Hoilett
    Fred, Meite, Kennedy.

So we have 23 players contracted to 2019 & beyond which includes the following 10 whose futures will have question marks:
    Matt Connolly, Kadeem Harris, Pilks, Damour, Mark Harris, Camp, Tomlin, O'Keefe, Bogle & Rhys Healey

I'd say the remaining 13 will all stay:
    2019: Etheridge, Peltier, Bennett, Manga, Richards, NML
    2020: Morrison, Bamba, Paterson, Ralls, Ward, Zohore,
    2021: Madine

24 players have made 10 or more appearances, so we may well see a lot of players on their way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Current squad size is 26 named professionals, plus 7 loans out & 6 loans in. So currently 33 with contracts.

Murphy, Wilson, Konopka
    Fred, Meite, Kennedy.

So we have 23 players contracted to 2019 & beyond which includes the following 10 whose futures will have question marks:
    Matt Connolly, Kadeem Harris, Pilks, Damour, Mark Harris, Camp, Tomlin, O'Keefe, Bogle & Rhys Healey

24 players have made 10 or more appearances, so we may well see a lot of players on their way out.
    Do they still do that 25 man squad thing in the premier?

Murphy, Wilson, Konopka
    Fred, Meite, Kennedy.

Yes that’s an interesting post.

I agree all the 13 will stay.

I think Gunnarson hoilett and Murphy (I like him) will stay also which takes us up to 16.

Don’t laugh but Halford could stay as Warnock likes him and he can be useful. Same with Connolly actually.

Healy and K Harris may stay but go out on long term loan.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Do they still do that 25 man squad thing in the premier?
    Yes but I think we'll be ok on that front. It's a good reason to keep Mark Harris, Cameron Cox, mabe Kadeem & Rhys as well

Yes but I think we'll be ok on that front. It's a good reason to keep Mark Harris, Cameron Cox, mabe Kadeem & Rhys as well
    Remind me of why? I don’t follow it when we aren’t there!

Hmm, M Harris and Coxe wouldn't count would they - the 25 man list excludes u21(3?) players doesn't it?

They came through our system so they're "free" and don't count towards the 25.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Etheridge
    Manga
    Bamba
    Morrison
    Bennett
    Ralls
    Zohore
    Hoilett

They are the only ones for me who will be ok at the next level.
    No Patterson?

I think they are the only players you’d want starting every week. But I think there are quite a few players who’d make decent squad players/back up options:

Gunnar
    NML (even though he can be frustrating)
    Bryson
    Peltier
    Richards

Definitely need a centre half, 2 full backs, 3 centre mids, a winger and a striker I think.

Isn't Kadeem Harris "one for the future"?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    No Patterson?

I think they are the only players you’d want starting every week. But I think there are quite a few players who’d make decent squad players/back up options:

Gunnar
    NML (even though he can be frustrating)
    Bryson
    Peltier
    Richards

Definitely need a centre half, 2 full backs, 3 centre mids, a winger and a striker I think.
    Nope. Certainly not in midfield. He drives me mad with the amount of touches he takes to get the ball under control, and it’s not good enough for the Prem imo.

Same for Peltier, same for NML.

If they can teach Pato how to defend then move him back to right back as he’s good to have in set pieces.

Richards could be ok as back up and Gunnar is out of contract but would be ok as back up.

However if Gunnar was to stay I think he will be first name on Warnocks team sheet and I think we will need better in the Premiership.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Exactly. As warnock says it’s not rocket science- take the top 6 out of it and it’s basically championship quality anyway. I doubt there are many of 7th placed Burnley’s squad that would get us excited. And as bad as the recruitment under Malky was- we never entered the bottom 3 under him. It’s not great.
    10 wins out of 26 will probably see us stay up but even that will be a big challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    "10 wins out of 26 will probably see us stay up but even that will be a big challenge." We will need more than 30 points to stay up wont we ? , and dont we play 38 games in the PL ?

Maybe we should ask they change the rules so we get 4 points for a win - then 10 wins makes perfect sense
    He’s taken the top 6 out of it. But Swansea will probably stay up on 35 points this year- so it varies every year.

Somehow we got to 30 points last time and from October onwards we were bloody awful. We’d have struggled in the championship playing like that- and we did.

Warnock says he wants to sign 5/6 players so with a max of 25 allowed he will retain a maximum of 20 players. All loans will go, Bryson is not Prem quality.My guess is a keeper,Full back,two midfielders,winger and Striker. My only concern is that Warnock has picked up some great free transfers but his major money signings Madine,Tomkin,Bogle and Ward costing a total of about 12m have been hopeless a little bit like Malky?

They came through our system so they're "free" and don't count towards the 25.
    Rhys Healey and Kadeem Harris are over 21 so would be part of the 25, anyone under 21 doesn't count (so Sane and Jesus weren't part of Man City's squad this season). Eight players have to be home grown but that only means being at an English league club for three years from under the age of 21 (so Fabregas counts as home grown).

It's a rule that gets tinkered with a bit. The EFL are bringing in a rule for next season that means each team will need a club-developed player in their match day squad or they can only have six subs. It would've meant us having to include Harris or Healey (or a youngster) when Ralls wasn't fit if that rule had been in place this season.

I'm not sure if there are any changes due for the Premier League next season but if not then we only need eight home grown (rather than club-developed) players in the 25 which won't be any kind of a problem for us. More complicated in the Europa and Champions Leagues but we've got 12 months before we have to start worrying about that.

Here's a more detailed look at something I've just said, I can't remember what exactly (I copied it earlier and can't be bothered to read it again) but here it is anyway.

https://www.sports.legal/2017/04/par...loped-players/

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I got into trouble last week for suggesting Madine could go out on loan next season, but I think it's even more likely after yesterday.
    I have to agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Warnock says he wants to sign 5/6 players so with a max of 25 allowed he will retain a maximum of 20 players. All loans will go, Bryson is not Prem quality.My guess is a keeper,Full back,two midfielders,winger and Striker. My only concern is that Warnock has picked up some great free transfers but his major money signings Madine,Tomkin,Bogle and Ward costing a total of about 12m have been hopeless a little bit like Malky?
    I have been thinking the same about the people that we paid money for - they seemed to have made the least impact (Ward can be excused as he got injured and at least scored a few goals before that. And Bogle should have been given a bit longer IMHO).

Get Gounoungbe out

Quote Originally Posted by guangzhoublue View Post
    Get Gounoungbe out
    Was he ever in?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Nope. Certainly not in midfield. He drives me mad with the amount of touches he takes to get the ball under control, and it’s not good enough for the Prem imo.

Same for Peltier, same for NML.

If they can teach Pato how to defend then move him back to right back as he’s good to have in set pieces.

Richards could be ok as back up and Gunnar is out of contract but would be ok as back up.

However if Gunnar was to stay I think he will be first name on Warnocks team sheet and I think we will need better in the Premiership.
    Paterson could kick on but he needs to work on his game. Who knows after a long summer and pre-season he might get a bit better. I've got 11 which will definitely stay:
    Etheridge, Peltier, Bennett, Manga, Bamba, Morrison, Ralls, Paterson, Hoilett, NML and Zohore. I think we'll likely keep Murphy as third choice, Connolly, Richards and Damour have another year on their deals too. He likes Danny Ward and Pilks too but I'd guess one of them will go. Question marks around Madine, Traore, K Harris and Bryson but anyone not at the club or in the first team picture recently will surely go.

If Warnock only wants 5/6, realistically he can only let 5/6 go so I think some of the loanees will be made permanent.

I think Danny Ward is worth keeping. Bags of pace and good ball control. Not sure how the long term injury will affect him. But I reckon on most of his showings prior to injury, he is a good player. Think we may have secured promotion earlier had he stayed fit.
    Spedger