+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warnock's promotion over Malky Mackay's promotion

Re: Warnock's promotion over Malky Mackay's promotion

Malky's was done under a cloud and Warnock has done it up a mountain.

Warnock's. NQAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    The best achievement ?
    Warnock's. Mackay had loads of money to spend. Warnock spent a fair bit too, to be fair, but Cardiff were the biggest spenders in that Mackay's promotion season. Cardiff are not the biggest spenders this time around.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Warnock's. Mackay had loads of money to spend. Warnock spent a fair bit too, to be fair, but Cardiff were the biggest spenders in that Mackay's promotion season. Cardiff are not the biggest spenders this time around.
    Blackburn and Wolves actually spent more.

I am not really a Mackay fan - I think he is overrated by many of our fans for what he did with us.

That being said, I am a bit uncomfortable about playing down his achievement in light of this season, and I am not really sure we do him justice to compare the two promotions. He was not brought in to spend big, but was then given a big budget and told to get us promoted. Which he did, emphatically. We lead from the start, and stayed there. Looking at that season in isolation I'm not sure what more he could have done really. It was all over with weeks to go. That the division was poorer then is not his fault, he can only beat what was put in front of him. And he did. We didn't run out of steam as some think towards the end of that season: we'd already won the race and were doing a lap of honour while the other teams were still running.

It's hard for Mackay to over-achieve in a season where he was expected to get us up with a big budget, but to actually deliver on that takes a set of skills that many managers in the division this season have proved that they don't have. And let's not forget, that is not even his recognised strength. Clearly Warnock did over-achieve, and brilliantly. But let's not downplay the difficulty of walking away with this division, which is what we did with Malky. In terms of our time in the championship, both managers did a fantastic job.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I am not really a Mackay fan - I think he is overrated by many of our fans for what he did with us.

That being said, I am a bit uncomfortable about playing down his achievement in light of this season, and I am not really sure we do him justice to compare the two promotions. He was not brought in to spend big, but was then given a big budget and told to get us promoted. Which he did, emphatically. We lead from the start, and stayed there. Looking at that season in isolation I'm not sure what more he could have done really. It was all over with weeks to go. That the division was poorer then is not his fault, he can only beat what was put in front of him. And he did. We didn't run out of steam as some think towards the end of that season: we'd already won the race and were doing a lap of honour while the other teams were still running.

It's hard for Mackay to over-achieve in a season where he was expected to get us up with a big budget, but to actually deliver on that takes a set of skills that many managers in the division this season have proved that they don't have. And let's not forget, that is not even his recognised strength. Clearly Warnock did over-achieve, and brilliantly. But let's not downplay the difficulty of walking away with this division, which is what we did with Malky. In terms of our time in the championship, both managers did a fantastic job.
    Very good post. Mackay is damaged goods and always will be, so my focus is now more on the players who achieved our first promotion to the top flight in more than half a century and, just like the team which beat Leeds in 2002, I don't think they get enough appreciation from the club's supporters.

I disagree with you on one point though - I'm not sure the Championship was "poorer" in 2012/13. If you look at the table,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E...e_Championship

you see that there was only thirty six points between us in number one position and Wolves in 23rd. This season, that gap was fifty eight points

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E...L_Championship

and Bolton who survived gained eleven less points than Peterborough who occupied the last relegation place. What i think is fair to say is that the quality at the top of the division was better this time around, but, looking at that 12/13 table, the division looks a much more competitive one with, interestingly enough, the only big gap between teams in the top twenty three being the eight point one between us and second place.

By contrast, this season's table suggests better quality at the top, but poorer quality at the bottom - I'm convinced we could have beaten Reading if we really had to on Sunday and that would have meant that we only would have dropped home points against one team which finished in the bottom half of the division - credit to us for that, but it also suggests the 12/13 side faced bigger tests when they entertained lowly teams.

It's possible that the three sides who went down from the Championship in 16/17 will be coming back up this season - I certainly wouldn't expect that to be happening this time next year.

Two fine posts there.

It's amazing to me how history has so often been rewritten in the case of Malky Mackay's achievements, but then plenty of history seems to have been rewritten from that particular period in the club's history.

Considering so many people apparently thought it was so easy for Mackay to win the Championship given the budget he allegedly had, it's surprising that more people didn't avail themselves of the tasty 12/1 odds that were available before the start of the 2012/13 campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I have the Racing Post's 'Big Kick Off' guide to the betting season in front of me, published on 02/08/18. The best price for the title was 25/1 (a price most major bookies offered). The best price for Wolves was 13/1 with Paddy Power. City were best-priced at 17/2 for promotion with Betfair and Paddy Power. Wolves were widely available at 4/1.

I'm sweating on Middlesbrough in the play-offs for £214.00 return on a £5 pre-season bet. My hopes aren't high.
    I had us at 33/1 in my ew lucky 15 on BrtVictor. Also had Man U, Blackburn and ......... chesterfield😂😂😂

Wish I had gone with my gut and bet on Sunderland to get relegated.