+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is Cardiff Central station really that bad?

Is Cardiff Central station really that bad?

Just been reading about a survey which placed Cardiff Central as the tenth worst station in Britain - must say, that seems harsh to me, but, then again I don't use it too often these days.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Re: Is Cardiff Central station really that bad?

IMO Yep

Where is the front of the station

If I’m dropping off someone how do I get to the front

If I tell someone I’ll meet them outside the station where will they be

There’s no coffee or food outlets at what is now the front and the main ticket office is at the back

Shambles doesn’t do it justice

Its a terrible station.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    IMO Yep

Where is the front of the station

If I’m dropping off someone how do I get to the front

If I tell someone I’ll meet them outside the station where will they be

There’s no coffee or food outlets at what is now the front and the main ticket office is at the back

Shambles doesn’t do it justice
    I had this problem last week, picked a friend up from station casually said will meet you outside, I ended up illegally parked by the Bierkeller, and he was waiting in the back car park!

If I've ever been dropped there it's been at the back. That much is just common sense really isn't it? So if I were to meet someone that was picking me up, I'd go to the back, also logical bloody sense

There's a smiths, a spar and some sort of baguette place at the front, to the right of the ticket office. If you enter the back car park way you can also get tickets there. Anyone too lazy to buy a ticket before they get to the barriers, it's their own fault if they have to walk all the way to the back, the amount of people I see holding up us organised people with tickets as they moan at the front is a bit silly..then they huff and puff all the way to the back.

They need to build a huge roof over the whole thing, leave the old station roofs on each platform as they are beginning to look old good

Remember the old bus station toilets by the kiosk? I still have nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Remember the old bus station toilets by the kiosk? I still have nightmares.
    The were a cottagers dream!

Had to google cottager

It was like wiped the walls with piss.

Sausage, peas, chips and gravy at the big Asteys'
    N&C coaches which my mam said stood for Nice and Comfy (and they were too)

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just been reading about a survey which placed Cardiff Central as the tenth worst station in Britain - must say, that seems harsh to me, but, then again I don't use it too often these days.
    Yep I dont think its great , it has history and charterer but's its been destroyed

No.

Just idiots still confused with new set up since the re-development of the station, and surrounding areas of that part of the city.

Not recommended on a Saturday night when you’re sober and everyonelse is pissed though. Quite an eye opener.

Once the development is sorted right in front of the station, I'm sure it will look fine, the rear has ben tidied up, more concerning is the planning that has gone into the knock down and re-build of the bus station!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

Not recommended on a Saturday night when you’re sober and everyonelse is pissed though. Quite an eye opener.
    Isnt that the case for town in general though

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Isnt that the case for town in general though
    Not really. You can go to certain bars / restaurants in town where you are. It party to the kind of idiots you get on the train platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    That's true of most major train stations, though. Having spent years travelling back from Bridgend to Cardiff and up to Aberdump, Bridgend station can be quite a shithole when the pissheads are out, which tended to be quite often after 9pm and not just on Saturdays.

I don't find Cardiff Central too bad, even on a Saturday night. The Valley Lines platform is usually the quietest in terms of drunken idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    They were a cottagers dream!
    When they knocked the old terminus building down we (in Plaid Cymru) devoted a lot of time during meetings to formulating our response. One colleague was outraged that his favourite haunt was to be no more and was shouting his disapproval during one meeting. I don’t think anyone at the meeting other than myself realised what exactly his objection was but it did make me laugh out loud.

As for Cardiff Central, I use it regularly. In fact I’ve just arrived home after passing through it. It is a scruffy embarrassment that is not fit-for-purpose as its capacity can’t deal with the numbers coming through at peak times and during events. In the future, the number of users is likely to double within a decade. The concourse, facade and platforms are all Grade 2 listed which adds an extra layer of complexity to the plans for redevelopment but they will happen.

http://www.railtechnologymagazine.co...-redevelopment

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Once the development is sorted right in front of the station, I'm sure it will look fine, the rear has ben tidied up, more concerning is the planning that has gone into the knock down and re-build of the bus station!!!!!

I’d like my rear to be tidy tbh