+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Etheridge, from sofa to Premier League

Etheridge, from sofa to Premier League

http://www.insidewalessport.co.uk/co...heridge-story/

Always comes across as a lovely young man.

Re: Etheridge, from sofa to Premier League

For me he was the most improved player and most underrated player this season & deserves to start next season with the #1 jersey

Just about to post myself. Good article and surprisingly released by a few clubs.

I can guarantee if we had to rely on Camp as our number one then we wouldn’t be celebrating now.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    For me he was the most improved player and most underrated player this season & deserves to start next season with the #1 jersey
    I would imagine Warnock played a big part in building up his confidence.

I agree , he seemed nervous at the start of the season but has grown into a competent goalkeeper and most improved player this season. Needs to work on his distribution in particular kicking.
    Great season for him

I'm impressed by how quickly he spots danger and leaves his goal to make himself big to thwart an attacker. It's Peter Schmeichel-esque.

Best keeper I've seen at the club and one I think we'll struggle to keep if he keeps his improvement going.

Played 45 out of 46 league matches, kept 19 clean sheets and conceded 37 goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Played 45 out of 46 league matches, kept 19 clean sheets and conceded 37 goals.
    The boy deserves a medal !

Oh, he got one

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I'm impressed by how quickly he spots danger and leaves his goal to make himself big to thwart an attacker. It's Peter Schmeichel-esque.

Best keeper I've seen at the club and one I think we'll struggle to keep if he keeps his improvement going.
    Was going to post something similar. Never seen a keeper at City read the game so well or come off his line so quick. His kicking is excellent too.

Better than Marshall for me.

How much of his "improvement" this year is actual improvement, and how much is just people coming round to the idea that he's good after writing him off in pre season?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    How much of his "improvement" this year is actual improvement, and how much is just people coming round to the idea that he's good after writing him off in pre season?
    I agree I don’t think he was ever bad, people on here early on in the season decided he’d be a scapegoat. He’s been consistently excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I completely agree - he went from a nervous looking keeper initially to one of our most steady performers.

Fantastic to see.

Certainly his kicking has improved, it's nigh on flawless nowadays. He's also become more positive with his decision making as the season has gone on in my view

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    http://www.insidewalessport.co.uk/co...heridge-story/

Always comes across as a lovely young man.
    Heart -warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I agree I don’t think he was ever bad, people on here early on in the season decided he’d be a scapegoat. He’s been consistently excellent.
    I think some people thought he was here to be an understudy to Lee Camp, so had a negative view in him to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Was going to post something similar. Never seen a keeper at City read the game so well or come off his line so quick. His kicking is excellent too.

Better than Marshall for me.
    The way he spreads himself is impressive and has undoubtedly contributed to the back 4 being more confident overall. Not sure I agree regarding his kicking, though. As with a long line of City keepers, his distribution has been inconsistent at best.

He has definitely improved, which is superb to see. His all round game has really come on.

Just his kicking alone has improved (I remember him kicking the ball straight into touch on 3 consecutive occasions at Ashton Gate alone!)