+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Warnock struggle to attract talent this year?

Will Warnock struggle to attract talent this year?

Does anybody agree that Warnocks age could possibly work against us in the transfer market with quality players reluctant to sign long term deals due to the uncertainty of how long NW will be in the job and who his successor would be?

Just interested to hear your views on this...

Re: Will Warnock struggle to attract talent this year?

Quote Originally Posted by guangzhoublue View Post
    Does anybody agree that Warnocks age could possibly work against us in the transfer market with quality players reluctant to sign long term deals due to the uncertainty of how long NW will be in the job and who his successor would be?

Nah. He's the wiliest manager around and has contacts all over the place. He'll be looking for those who will apply themselves rather than a bunch of fancy dans - and there will be many players sidelined from larger clubs when new signings are made. Keep the faith.

I'm not sure I'd want anyone on long term deals.

So you would be happy spending 8m on someone and give them a 2 year deal? that's not really how it works... not if you want to keep your money anyway

I'm going by what said Tan said. Spending 8m on a player, + agent fees + a silly salary.

Define a long-term contract? 4 years on 30-45k a week? Jack Rodwell.

Jack Rodwell was a 5 year deal at 70,000 a week

If clubs are spending that type of money on a player you are signing them long term to protect your investment (unless they are 30+ but then again they usually dont go for that kind of money).

If you bought a player who was in his prime on a 2 year deal; after 18 months he'd be able to negotiate a free transfer elsewhere on the bosman rule. We'd then lose our 8m + agent fees etc

Players want to be in the Premier League. Even if you're at the lower end in wages you're still earning more than you'd get in the Championship or other foreign leagues (except for Champions League clubs).

Think age is the last thing that defines how long a manager keeps his position.

Where are all the long term managers?

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    No long term contracts, no stupid money transfers on unproven players either in championship or PL etc
    There are plenty of players who would love a chance / challenge to play with us in the premier league next season.
    Everything should be performance related pay, match starts, squad selection, clean sheets , goals scored, tackles made etc. That is the only way to get rid of donkey like journeymen who are here to collect their wages. Players like that can and should be got rid of.

FFS - lets do it differently this time shall we. I get the feeling this may Warnocks last big job, and he wants to leave a legacy rather than a squad full of over paid, over contracted players.

Spot on.

I think everyone agrees with that statement but if it was that easy everyone would do it

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Where are all the long term managers?
    Very true.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eague_managers

Depending on which article you read the average length of a managers job in the PL is 19 months but that has to be heavily weighted by Wengers tenure

NW will be the 12th longest served manager in the Premier but Wenger & probably Conte are about to depart that list

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Very true.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eague_managers

Depending on which article you read the average length of a managers job in the PL is 19 months but that has to be heavily weighted by Wengers tenure

NW will be the 12th longest served manager in the Premier but Wenger & probably Conte are about to depart that list
    That list is amazing. 25 clubs have either no manager or a manager with less than 100 days in the job. 47 managers in the job for less than a year!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44034189

Read this from Charlie Adam who I have a lot of respect for. He really cares about the teams he plays for and he tells it like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44034189

Read this from Charlie Adam who I have a lot of respect for. He really cares about the teams he plays for and he tells it like it is.
    Does he care, or is he saying he cares?

It's easy to give lip service and it's even easier to say it after they've gone down.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Does he care, or is he saying he cares?

It's easy to give lip service and it's even easier to say it after they've gone down.
    Did you read the article?! That's not lip service...

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Did you read the article?! That's not lip service...
    Out of contract midfielder points blame at others. Shock. A lot of Stoke fans would include him in the list of players that have let them down.

Not out of contract according to this. Signed until next summer.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/spor...ie-adam-382211

I think it's pretty unusual for players to talk like that about their teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Not out of contract according to this. Signed until next summer.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/spor...ie-adam-382211

I think it's pretty unusual for players to talk like that about their teammates.
    Quick google. Charlie Adam wrestled the ball off Shaqiri to take a pen vs Brighton, he missed. He got sent off a 0-0 vs Everton and they lost. That's 5 points cost already that can be directly attributed to him being a joke.

If we were in the market for players like Oscar Cardozo like we were under Malky then yes I agree we struggle to attract (like we did then) but I haven't even looked at the foreign market cos I don't think it's a market Warnock will be looking to tap into too much (I maybe wrong).

I see Warnock trying to secure some of the better players from championship clubs and I think a lot of these players will have been envious by the spirit of our squad.

I listened to Sam Parkin speaking today and he said that people speak about the fact that they don't mind if your striker is a complete nob head as long as he scores 20 goals for you but he said in reality that's bollox and players would much prefer have a great spirit about the place so that going into work every day is a pleasure.

In 2011-12 at QPR, Warnock signed:

Bothroyd, Dyer, Gabbs, DJ Campbell, Brian Murphy, Barton, Luke Young, Armand Traore, Wright-Phillips and Anton Ferdinand.

Most of them were experienced heads in the Premier League, with Bothroyd and Murphy coming from the Championship.

In 05-06 at Sheff Utd, he signed:
    Leigertwood, Davis, Nade, Tie, Hulse, Bennett, Kazim-Richards, Gerrard, Kilgallon, Stead, Shelton, Fathy amongst others, so mainly players from the Championship.

Basically, I haven't got a clue but I've said it before, if Southampton go down, we'll be in the queue for Charlie Austin.

I'd rather we signed hungry players from below, with the odd Austin etc who's proven. Who would have predicted Etheridge, NML and Damour though, so Warnock will keep us guessing!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Quick google. Charlie Adam wrestled the ball off Shaqiri to take a pen vs Brighton, he missed. He got sent off a 0-0 vs Everton and they lost. That's 5 points cost already that can be directly attributed to him being a joke.
    Adam is the designated penalty taker at the club. He didn't wrestle the ball from anybody. He went to get the ball and Jese(not shaqiri), who was fouled for the pen tried to tell Adam to give it to him, which he didn't. Jese was to blame for causing a scene which didn't help before such an important moment.
    That red card he got at Everton was very soft. You see them not given every weekend.
    Come on, you can't just google things and expect that to hold any water.
    Adam is the kind of character you want in your team and Warnock would be all over him. He was just talking about the reason Stoke went down was the exact opposite of why we went up.

I've seen the term "silly money" being used in this thread - just out of interest, what qualifies as silly money these days? After the last TV deal, £15 million won't buy you too much as a Premier League club

If clubs are spending that type of money on a player you are signing them long term to protect your investment (unless they are 30+ but then again they usually dont go for that kind of money).

If you bought a player who was in his prime on a 2 year deal; after 18 months he'd be able to negotiate a free transfer elsewhere on the bosman rule. We'd then lose our 8m + agent fees etc
    On the flipside, if we had them on a 5 year deal on high wages, we could struggle to offload them and be in a shite position if we were to do down.