+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Leighton James

Leighton James

Would love to hear his thoughts. Hahaha

Re: Leighton James

He's probably lying pissed under a bush somewhere.

I was watching some old football on BT the other day and I have to say he looked a bloody good player!

Still cant stand the obnoxious Jack twat though. And yes, would love to hear his thoughts on Citys promotion, and Jacks relegation.

Does he do any phone-ins anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I was watching some old football on BT the other day and I have to say he looked a bloody good player!

Still cant stand the obnoxious Jack twat though. And yes, would love to hear his thoughts on Citys promotion, and Jacks relegation.

This, featuring our own Sludge Factory, was great! https://1drv.ms/u/s!AptzTr9mgVZEgh-i-ew3UhRbVhQD

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    This, featuring our own Sludge Factory, was great! https://1drv.ms/u/s!AptzTr9mgVZEgh-i-ew3UhRbVhQD
    Feisty ol' Sludge isn't he.

Nice work Sludge.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

I watched him back in the day, especially when he played for Wales at Ninian Park. He appeared to an arrogant so and so then too, very greedy player who wouldn't pass and if I recall correctly the crowd didn't like him much either. It was nothing to do with being a Jack though, he played for Burnley then. He did have a very long career, something like 700 or 800 League games, and played for Swansea and Newport too, and three spells with Burnley, so he was a good player. I think a bit of a player version of Warnock, you either liked hime or didn't depending if he was playing for you or against you.

He is still highly regarded in Burnley. When I watched him I always had the feeling that he was carrying just a little too much weight. There is no doubt that at his peak he was one of the top wingers in the country, but there were problems with his temperament. If the other players or the crowd could get to him then his head would go down and he'd no longer be a danger.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    He is still highly regarded in Burnley.
    They haven't had to put up with his pissed rantings on local radio for years, mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Feisty ol' Sludge isn't he.
    Disappointing, 5 mins and he never mentioned heavy metal riffing once.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Being a skilled exponent of anything doesn’t automatically qualify you to commentate on it

One of the key ingredients of being skilled is that you do things quickly, often without thinking, to a high standard

Which kind of sums up his approach

Open mouth wide and place foot before engaging brain.

Personally I think he displays a rare degree of skill at doing this

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    I'm pretty sure he was no longer welcome either on radio or TV after various and numerous situations he got himself into re being obnoxious and rude to people.
    Surely this is the whole point of half the presenters on talk sport... He would fit in very well
    Last edited by speedyblue; 10-05-18 at 14:16. Reason: I'm useless

Sludge won. End of.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Well said Sludge, very impressed.

Leighton James sounds like a right twat. "You're not a Welshman." Using his logic, Mr. James isn't a Jack bastard! Sorry, a Swansea man.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Well said Sludge, very impressed.

Leighton James sounds like a right twat. "You're not a Welshman." Using his logic, Mr. James isn't a Jack bastard! Sorry, a Swansea man.
    Played cricket against him a few years ago and he was a right FIGJAM, chopsy, aggressive and arrogant - great pleasure in winding him up and not just me but a side made up of quite a few Swansea fans

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Played cricket against him a few years ago and he was a right FIGJAM, chopsy, aggressive and arrogant - great pleasure in winding him up and not just me but a side made up of quite a few Swansea fans
    How he managed to get a job as a broadcaster is beyond me. He obviously has a problem from the past. Hopefully an Irishman shagged his Mrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Disappointing, 5 mins and he never mentioned heavy metal riffing once.
    It's not Sludge but his brother speaking on that phone-in. His name's Carruthers and he's much more articulate than his sibling. Not sure how though 'cos he's always drawing on enormous spliffs. They are so long they have a pronounced droop at one end.

Sludge is a regular on Radio 5 Live's 606 where he sometimes uses the pseudonym Shankly or more often Tosh, which is apposite given the nonsense he spouts.