+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The definitive anatomy of Cardiff City

The definitive anatomy of Cardiff City

Re: The definitive anatomy of Cardiff City

Interesting stuff, the bit about defending was quite educational for me - I'd noticed during games that Bennett especially would wander into positions far from the left back area and assumed it was part of a man marking job, but there was more to it than that it seems.

I'm not as convinced about the attacking side of things though. The plan apparently was to "give the trio (Zohore, Holiett and Mendez-Laing) as much time against a disorganised, retreating defence as possible. So rather than aimless balls upfield, it's getting the ball into the feet of those danger men and letting them cause havoc in the channels."

We may have done that in the first couple of months of the season, but it happened less and less as the campaign went on and any criticism directed at Zohore in particular has to be tempered by the fact that he got so few passes of the sort which enables him to show the parts of his game that really causes defences problems after he returned from injury.

I know we got promoted and so it would be easy to just say everything worked fine, but more and more as the season went on, the three attacking players were not fed the sort of passes talked about in the article and, in the case of Zohore, that goal they highlight against Sunderland where Ralls was able to get forward to give him the passing options he needed, was very much a rarity - too often Zohore, and Madine, were in splendid isolation as they tried to make something of balls whacked towards their heads, not their feet.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

👍

Wonderfully instructive for the opposition next season

Warnocks Way part 2 for 2018-19

Yes I found that analysis very interesting it does explain why Bennett,Bamba and Morrison ( Hull goal) ) could be seen well up field,and say the likes of Pelts hold the traditional line as a full back ,perhaps this knocks on the head the thought that Warnock is a one trick long ball tactician.

Pity they don’t give credit to the site that done the analysis because it certainly wasn’t the clowns at Walesonline

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Pity they don’t give credit to the site that done the analysis because it certainly wasn’t the clowns at Walesonline
    I wondered who actually did the analysis because they seemed to know what they were talking about which for wales online is unusual

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    👍

Wonderfully instructive for the opposition next season

Warnocks Way part 2 for 2018-19
    Yeah, I mean, there are no articles like this out there for any of the other Prem teams are there

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Yeah, I mean, there are no articles like this out there for any of the other Prem teams are there

🤣🤣😬
    I had my tongue in cheek ... really

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    🤣🤣😬
    I had my tongue in cheek ... really
    I was being sarcastic too

I tend to watch football in a wholistic kind of way. What I form from this is an overall impression of the game from which I can pick out particular highlights of players actions

When posters who are more knowledgeable than I talk with a more in depth understanding about how specific players played I have to rewatch relevant parts of the game to get up to speed

I really appreciate these types of analysis because the next time I watch a game I am able to see more, watch in a more thoughtful way and understand more about why particular players are doing whatever it is they’re doing

We never stop learning and I enjoy those fellow MBs who have the admirable quality of being able to not only see something different but to add to my appreciation with their succinct posts

In Warnock we believe