+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Paul Woolston - youth GK

Blue in the Face

Paul Woolston - youth GK

Cardiff leading race for Newcastle’s England youth sensation Paul Woolston after impressive trial

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...remier-league/

The 19-year-old is an early target for the newly-promoted Bluebirds and is also being eyed by Championship clubs

CARDIFF are in pole position to sign Newcastle’s England youth international keeper Paul Woolston.

The 19-year-old stopper, who is being released by the Toon this summer, impressed during a recent trial with the Bluebirds.

And Neil Warnock’s Premier League-bound side are now considering offering a deal for Woolston, who has also attracted interest from other clubs in the Championship and Spain.

Woolston has represented England at Under-17 and U18 level and has been part of Newcastle’s first-team set-up this season.

He has also gained senior experience during loan spells at Darlington, Blyth Spartans and South Shields.

Woolston is being let go as Newcastle already have a number of keepers in their squad.

Current No1 Martin Dubravka’s loan move from Sparta Prague is set to be made permanent, meaning he will join Rob Elliot, Karl Darlow, Matz Sels and Freddie Woodman on their books.

But boss Rafa Benitez has praised Woolston, as he said: "He's a good keeper.

“He's quite good with his feet.

“I think he's keen to learn. He's been good with us in every training session."

Menawhile, Benitez has been urging owner Mike Ashley to back him in the transfer market if he is to extend his stay on Tyneside.

Re: Paul Woolston - youth GK

If we do, lets hope he's f uck-all like the present Ingurlund goalkeeper

I might be silly but if he's a youth sensation then why have they released him? Surely they'd get him under contract to then sell him?

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    I might be silly but if he's a youth sensation then why have they released him? Surely they'd get him under contract to then sell him?
    Thought the same thing. Every young player is called sensation or wonderkid these. Very silly

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Thought the same thing. Every young player is called sensation or wonderkid these. Very silly
    Unfair on the youngsters too, puts unnecessary pressure on them. We've had Ogo Obi at the club for the second half of this season; labelled the Nigerian Messi when he went to Man Utd at around 14 but that's tough to live up to and he hasn't even looked like a Nigerian Kadeem Harris the times I've seen him.

I take ccfc's point, if Woolston's that good then why haven't Newcastle tied him down to a long contract? Goalies seem to move around quite randomly though, it's harder to give them all games than outfield players and they often seem to let their contracts run down and move on. Heaton and Lewis are recent examples of good keepers who've left here for nothing, as far as I'm aware Heaton hasn't commanded a transfer fee in his whole career yet.

Luke O'Reilly and Ollie Byrne seemed like promising keepers but they've both moved on in the last year, it'll be a big plus if we can get a good one in to replace them. With Etheridge missing games in January, I'm sure Warnock will want a decent under-21 keeper just in case there's an emergency. If we're anything like this season again at under-23 level then Woolston will be getting plenty of practice, the Premier League would be a breeze if he ever got called up.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Unfair on the youngsters too, puts unnecessary pressure on them. We've had Ogo Obi at the club for the second half of this season; labelled the Nigerian Messi when he went to Man Utd at around 14 but that's tough to live up to and he hasn't even looked like a Nigerian Kadeem Harris the times I've seen him.

I take ccfc's point, if Woolston's that good then why haven't Newcastle tied him down to a long contract? Goalies seem to move around quite randomly though, it's harder to give them all games than outfield players and they often seem to let their contracts run down and move on. Heaton and Lewis are recent examples of good keepers who've left here for nothing, as far as I'm aware Heaton hasn't commanded a transfer fee in his whole career yet.

Luke O'Reilly and Ollie Byrne seemed like promising keepers but they've both moved on in the last year, it'll be a big plus if we can get a good one in to replace them. With Etheridge missing games in January, I'm sure Warnock will want a decent under-21 keeper just in case there's an emergency. If we're anything like this season again at under-23 level then Woolston will be getting plenty of practice, the Premier League would be a breeze if he ever got called up.
    Interesting point on Etheridge in Jan. I've got a hunch that our no.1 is going to really perform in the PL and we could face offers we can't refuse within the next year. With Etheridge's nationality being a real commercial asset for the bigger clubs. All the more reason to nail down a good GK deputy and a worthy DVP keeper so we're not held over a barrel in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Interesting point on Etheridge in Jan. I've got a hunch that our no.1 is going to really perform in the PL and we could face offers we can't refuse within the next year. With Etheridge's nationality being a real commercial asset for the bigger clubs. All the more reason to nail down a good GK deputy and a worthy DVP keeper so we're not held over a barrel in January.
    John Burridge says he can see Etheridge playing for one of the Manchester clubs and I don't think he means Salford or FC United.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...ipped-14641436

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    John Burridge says he can see Etheridge playing for one of the Manchester clubs and I don't think he means Salford or FC United.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...ipped-14641436
    I saw that. Not sure what to make of it, not from a footballing stance. But those two clubs might have a commercial interest in Etheridge in the future, even if the plan is for him to sit on the bench for his contract.