+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is now the time to build a squad that will excel at Championship level?

Is now the time to build a squad that will excel at Championship level?

Is this promotion the time to get the type of players who will stick around for 2 or 3 seasons and make a promotion from the Championship in 2 years time inevitable?

Should we be doing a West Brom and instead of building to survive, be building to come back up? Ensuring that if we get relegated we have the type and heart that will bounce straight back (and not those who will jump ship).

I know the two aren't mutually exclusive and Warnock type players are this type already. It just seems like the sensible thing to do as it allows us to build up longer term.

Re: Is now the time to build a squad that will excel at Championship level?

this is my preference, but I know as soon as it looks like we might go back down everyone will loose their shit and call for Warnocks head as if we have a divine right to stay in the premier

This has always proved the blueprint mate especially in the first season.

I get your point but I think looking at the teams there we half half a chance of staying up, investment in the right areas will be vital.

I don't want the squad broken apart and I'm sure acquisitions will be the right fit. Don't think we will exclusively plan for 2 years ahead but the players the current regime will bring in are likely to be younger players with something to prove anyway. Although one or two experienced with PL football wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

You just have to make sure theres a relegation clause in their contracts so if we do come straight back down we won't be stuck with any LaFondra type players.I think Vinny got his fingers burnt in more ways than one last time and can't see this happening again.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Its only a game, I'm enjoying the ride, I like the championship for its competitiveness and looking forward to the challenge next season. I hope Tan decides that WHATEVER happens he will stick with the manager, as this promotion was the result of his work, he alone deserves the right to have a crack at it, same goes for the players.
    /\/\ Aye well said

Huddersfield "winged it" and it paid off.
    Very much in the lap of the gods.

We have canny Mr Warnock at the helm and he needs to be backed to the hilt if things are going tits up.
    He joked about leaving at Christmas if things were not going right but as we've seen he is a fighter.

If it does start to go pear shaped then if everyone pulls together, including the WUMs on here, then we will still have him for the return campaign next year.

Mass clearly is not the answer, bring people in where we need to strengthen. That way, loyalty will be repaid and the majority have shown they can hack it.

We all know what's required, having been there before and got burnt so no great surprise.
    So does Warnock.

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
    Is this promotion the time to get the type of players who will stick around for 2 or 3 seasons and make a promotion from the Championship in 2 years time inevitable?

Should we be doing a West Brom and instead of building to survive, be building to come back up? Ensuring that if we get relegated we have the type and heart that will bounce straight back (and not those who will jump ship).

I know the two aren't mutually exclusive and Warnock type players are this type already. It just seems like the sensible thing to do as it allows us to build up longer term.
    Not optimistic about next season, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post

Ive got a better idea - how about building a team to stay in the Premier League next season. Planning for failure, as you suggest, is not the way to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Ive got a better idea - how about building a team to stay in the Premier League next season. Planning for failure, has you suggest, is not the way to go about it.
    Tell that to Mr Warnock then as he has said he will be doing what the OP as suggested. Putting a squad together that if worse case scenario gets relegated we will be stronger to come up again.

This is a sensible approach. We don’t want the likes of Gary Medal and KTC this time. Here for 1 season and ****ing off once relegated.

The trouble is that approach worked for Burnley, it worked for West Brom to some extent a few years back, but then I struggle to think of any other relegated clubs who prospered from it.

One problem I see is that if you look to, basically, sign players who will be very good Championship performers in a seasons time and fine in the Premier League in two years time, other clubs with a more a stable top flight outlook are going to notice then and try to take them off your hands with the promise that they will not need the risk of dropping down a division in their careers.

Burnley have been able, to a large extent, to build a squad over three or four seasons which has a nucleus that has been there for all of that time, but I'd also say that they have been the beneficiaries of a slight drop in standards at the lower end of the Premier League in the last two or three years.

You cant really sign a squad that will be good at a lower level, if you get a player that performs well in the premier league in a relegated squad, he will no doubt be snapped up by another premier league team the next season. Then not being part of your squad the next season anyway.

What i think we should do is not really break the bank, improve the squad, within a budget with the aim of staying up. However staying within a budget that means there will be no major financial issues if we do go down.

Its been a perfect timing financially for Cardiff, they have got out of jail by getting promoted just before our parachute payments ended. However we nearly ended up in jail because of our actions last time in the premier league. Lets not take that risk again, and secure the long term future of the club on this promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Huddersfield "winged it" and it paid off.
    Very much in the lap of the gods.

We have canny Mr Warnock at the helm and he needs to be backed to the hilt if things are going tits up.
    He joked about leaving at Christmas if things were not going right but as we've seen he is a fighter.

If it does start to go pear shaped then if everyone pulls together, including the WUMs on here, then we will still have him for the return campaign next year.

Mass clearly is not the answer, bring people in where we need to strengthen. That way, loyalty will be repaid and the majority have shown they can hack it.

We all know what's required, having been there before and got burnt so no great surprise.
    So does Warnock.
    Read somewhere that Huddersfield and Brighton spent 40 million. Not sure how accurate that is.

The Bottom 8 of the prem league is not that good, absolutely no reason why we cannot compete and get 36 plus points

let go for it, get stuck in and give it a bash

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Tell that to Mr Warnock then as he has said he will be doing what the OP as suggested. Putting a squad together that if worse case scenario gets relegated we will be stronger to come up again.

This is a sensible approach. We don’t want the likes of Gary Medal and KTC this time. Here for 1 season and ****ing off once relegated.
    Thing is though mate, I think we roughly got back the transfer fees for those two. They were two of the lesser crap deals from that period. Whoever we bring in, if they are on long contracts, Neil needs to be pretty sure that a buyer will want them down the line if there comes a time that we need to get them off the wage bill again.

We also need to be prepared to sell any of our players when their value is at a premium. Cardiff haven't been doing enough of the buy low sell high mantra, which is a massive part of the reason why the balance sheet hasn't looked good for years. Dave Jones was the last manager who made us money on multiple players.

I like the sentiment of op if it relates to wage structure. Assuming the incoming players are of better quality than we've otherwise been able to get, it would be nice to afford to hang on to them for another season in the champ.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

Gary Medal was awesome for us . If we had a few more of him we would have survived. (And not employed OGS)

Imagine Medel in a Warnock side! I think he’s a great footballer, the problem is he isn’t a game changer and we needed a decent striker and a winger more.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Imagine Medel in a Warnock side! I think he’s a great footballer, the problem is he isn’t a game changer and we needed a decent striker and a winger more.
    Dunno if it was a coincidence or not, but, for me, Medel's performance levels dropped around the time Mackay was sacked and he was never the same player for us again - before that, he had been excellent.

A side that would excel in The Championship should be able to survive in the PL. What we dont want is 4-5 mercanaries on big wages , big fees who will disappear if we go down.

We need to build a team with the aim to stay up but with a long term plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    A side that would excel in The Championship should be able to survive in the PL. What we dont want is 4-5 mercanaries on big wages , big fees who will disappear if we go down.

We need to build a team with the aim to stay up but with a long term plan.
    Isnt that just a NW team, a team who are a team who will have each others backs and work as a team

too often we see newly prem league teams spend money on new players and it all goes wrong, i am sure NW is too canny for that