+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You must believe in the fairy in the sky

You must believe in the fairy in the sky

Or you can't go to most modern school.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-44067719

I can't figure this one out, why are they encouraging religious behaviour? To draw kids away from dodgy unregistered faith schools?

Re: You must believe in the fairy in the sky

Comprehensive schools only , no religion , no elitism

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Comprehensive schools only , no religion , no elitism
    Oooh free choice society where will your political masters send there children ,overseas perhaps ?

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Sounds daft to me, especially if unregulated faith schools - we saw what happened there with numerous Islamic faith schools and what was being taught.

As for Grammar schools, Corbyn went to one, Corbyn's son went to one, Dianne Abbotts son went to a private school - whilst wanting to abolish them (figure that one out) . Theresa May went to a local comprehensive school , Vince Cable went to a Grammar School.

Knocks the usual stereotype on the head. I dont mind Grammar schools as long as the local Comps get the same level of resources. What you dont want is an elitist system. If parents want to spend their hard earned on a private education - that's up to them to.

What no one wants though is this :- (Channel 4 dispatches)

The one certainty in this debate (in fact in any UK political debate) is that you'd find a way to somehow bring an anti Corbyn/Labour slant into it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The one certainty in this debate (in fact in any UK political debate) is that you'd find a way to somehow bring an anti Corbyn/Labour slant into it.
    Don't you find the attitudes of the likes of Corbyn and Abbott, amongst many other of the left towards Grammar schools and education generally just the tiniest bit hypocritical though?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Don't you find the attitudes of the likes of Corbyn and Abbott, amongst many other of the left towards Grammar schools and education generally just the tiniest bit hypocritical though?
    I do, very much so but it shouldn't dominate the debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I do, very much so but it shouldn't dominate the debate.
    So, hypocrisy is OK then?

So, hypocrisy is OK then?
    In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. Every child getting the best possible education is more important.

The danger is that their hypocrisy is used as cover for a broken system.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. Every child getting the best possible education is more important.

The danger is that their hypocrisy is used as cover for a broken system.
    Corbyn, Abbott and their likes have certainly ensured that their children get the best possible education. The best that money can pay for.

Bob, I talked about the hypocrisy of the stance of Labour cabinet ministers on this matter, whilst sending their own to grammar/ private schools. You are strangely quiet on this matter.

Not like you.

At all.

Corbyn, Abbott and their likes have certainly ensured that their children get the best possible education. The best that money can pay for.
    Yep this is what I mean. You care more about their hypocrisy than the status of the education system.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Bob - in the post I mentioned the FACT that Corbyn went to a Grammar school, as did his son, Vince Cable went to a Grammar School and Abbott sent her son to a private school - the ONLY one to go to a local comp was Theresa May.

So your theory doesnt quite hold water mate, stating a matter of fact ie where Corbyn, Cable,Abbott, May went to school is not being anti anyone. You would have to accuse me of being anti Lib Dem and Tory to.

ps - Labours idea on railway ownership I support. I dont know how it would pan out in practice or whether we would go back to bad old days of train drivers on strike, guards on strike, ticket staff on strike etc , massive wage demands and a even cr@pper service than we already have. The WAG are due to inact this type of policy when Arriva trains Wales fecks - so we'll see what happens.
    Theresa May went to a Grammar School. Margaret Thatcher was the Education Secretary that turned it into a comprehensive whilst she was there!

KIDS GETTING 'DEFINED' AT 11

KIDS GETTING TAUGHT NONSENSE AT UNREGISTERED SCHOOLS

KIDS GETTING A WORSE EDUCATION BECAUSE THEIR FAMILY DON'T BELIEVE IN 'GOD'

back to what's important please...

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Theresa May went to a Grammar School. Margaret Thatcher was the Education Secretary that turned it into a comprehensive whilst she was there!
    So, you are agreeing that she attended a comprehensive school then.

In the same way that I attended a comprehensive. I was selected to attend Caerphilly Boys Grammar school which in the last couple of years I was there became St Martin's Comprehensive, yet I continued through with a Grammar School education. May seems to have embarked on a similar path though it is not clear how the Thatcher reforms were applied in her case.

It seems to have had a negative impact on May sufficient enough to make Grammar school reintroduction a fundamental plank of her, almost personally crafted and now notorious 2016 manifesto. I am extremely grateful for the education I received but I am not sure about introducing policies that right the perceived wrongs of your own childhood is necessarily good politics.

Not through her or her parents' choice. Any of the above list could have ended up at a comp had their school been changed.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Not through her or her parents' choice. Any of the above list could have ended up at a comp had their school been changed.
    There was no way the offspring of Thornberry, Abbott and Chakrabati were going to "end up" in a comprehensive school though was there??

Ideology should be left at the school gate. Look what they did to the kids under Blair. They should also introduce topics such as law, politics, philosophy, economics, how parliament works, etc., but they won't cos they don't want people to think too much. I went to a private school at 13, it was great we did sports every afternoon. Totally different to my previous comprehensive which was full of wasters, myself included!

There was no way the offspring of Thornberry, Abbott and Chakrabati were going to "end up" in a comprehensive school though was there??
    You've chosen to highlight the words "end up". Theresa May's parents weren't intending for her to "end up" at one. It was out of their hands.

If there are changes that affect those schools, maybe their offspring will "end up" at one too.

Hypocrisy of politics , do as I say ,not as I do , let's pretend to of the common man .

The indoctrination starts at 5 years old, just like humans built pyramids and the earth is round, if you have the temerity to question any of this you are labelled a tin hat nut job.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    The indoctrination starts at 5 years old, just like humans built pyramids and the earth is round, if you have the temerity to question any of this you are labelled a tin hat nut job.
    If you question that the world is round then you're labelled a tin hat nut job?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    If you question that the world is round then you're labelled a tin hat nut job?
    I had you down as third favourite but Bingo