+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: FAO Sludge..and other Cardiff gig goers over the years

FAO Sludge..and other Cardiff gig goers over the years

My daughter, knowing my love of music and the fact that I have seen countless bands since attending a T.Rex concert at the Capitol Theatre in Queens Street in June '72 recommended me this Facebook page: Cardiff Music History

It really is a brilliant page, with many photos, comments, posters and paraphernalia being shown on there. From the last one hundred years practically. From the great and the good to the not so good. Not just Cardiff bands, but any band that has actually played Cardiff. Going through it the other night gave me many hours of pleasure reminiscing about the bands I have seen over the years

Now I know you have Simon Kirke's drumstick in your vast musical vault. How about taking a photo of it, placing it on the page, so I can drool over it? You must have other memorabilia too, that could be photographed and put on there? Maybe a lock of hair belonging to Rankelson's drummer? A Bay City Rollers silk scarf? Michael Jackson's glove? A bra pinched from the changing rooms at Sophia Gardens when Girlschool supported Motorhead? Seriously though, I bet you have a ton of programmes and stuff up in your attic? All worth taking photos of putting on there, if you have.

Same goes for any of the music lovers that post on here. ...I know I have a box of photos somewhere of loads of local and big name bands from '77 onward that'll I be digging out and scanning to put on the page

Re: FAO Sludge..and other Cardiff gig goers over the years

Wish I'd kept my ticket from The Killers when a friend dragged me to see them at Barfly... unfortunately I declared after that they were shit and had no chance at being successful

Quote Originally Posted by richard. View Post
    Wish I'd kept my ticket from The Killers when a friend dragged me to see them at Barfly... unfortunately I declared after that they were shit and had no chance at being successful
    I saw Queen supporting Mott The Hoople light years ago...didn't think much of them....I think all us regular gig goes have have made a mistake of seeing a band on their way to mega success and thinking they'll never, ever make it??

Can't recall where I put my tickets signed by the Boomtown Rats at Sophia Gardens.

Always regret not going to see Eels in Cardiff docks venue in 1996/7. They have been one of my favourite bands.

Plus crazily missed the Ramones in the Union to go to see City play a welsh cup tie at Newport County

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    Can't recall where I put my tickets signed by the Boomtown Rats at Sophia Gardens.

Always regret not going to see Eels in Cardiff docks venue in 1996/7. They have been one of my favourite bands.

Plus crazily missed the Ramones in the Union to go to see City play a welsh cup tie at Newport County
    I was there at the Sophia Gardens, Boomtown Rats gig. My ex wife, my girlfriend at the time, was a big fan of the Bob n' the boys.

The Ramones gig at the Union, was it on the 'End Of The Century Tour'? Support act The Boys? If so, I met da 4 brudders after the gig. I managed to wangle my way backstage. You couldn't have wished to meet four more friendly guys. They duly signed my copy of the EOTC LP. Sadly, I let it go for a fiver back in '86. Wished I'd kept it. I saw the same fully autographed LP going on ebay for £294 ..and the auction still had a couple of days to run....

From Steps at the Motorpoint and Rick Astley at St David's Hall to miles of other musical flotsam who have appeared in the capital, one can safely wager one's last leek Sludge was close to the stage gyrating his hips rhythmically enjoying every performance. If the astonishingly dire Pearl Jam has ever been to Cardiff then he loved them too, guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    From Steps at the Motorpoint and Rick Astley at St David's Hall to miles of other musical flotsam who have appeared in the capital, one can safely wager one's last leek Sludge was close to the stage gyrating his hips rhythmically enjoying every performance. If the astonishingly dire Pearl Jam has ever been to Cardiff then he loved them too, guaranteed.
    I heard a rumour doing the rounds, that Sludge purloined a pair of used Rick Astley's briefs and went running all the way back to the Central Station with them on his head!

Yes, I'm pretty sure Pearl Jam have played Cardiff, at the CIA/Motorpoint Arena, I think

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I was there at the Sophia Gardens, Boomtown Rats gig. My ex wife, my girlfriend at the time, was a big fan of the Bob n' the boys.

The Ramones gig at the Union, was it on the 'End Of The Century Tour'? Support act The Boys? If so, I met da 4 brudders after the gig. I managed to wangle my way backstage. You couldn't have wished to meet four more friendly guys. They duly signed my copy of the EOTC LP. Sadly, I let it go for a fiver back in '86. Wished I'd kept it. I saw the same fully autographed LP going on ebay for £294 ..and the auction still had a couple of days to run....
    This may easily be a whoosh on me, but you know they weren’t related right?