+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Premier League attack v defence

Premier League attack v defence

I've read many comments on here, which I agree with, about needing to score in the Premier to stay up.

Surprisingly the statistics point to not conceding as being far more important.

Over the last 10 seasons teams regularly survive scoring 30~34 goals(Stoke made a habit of it) but sides have been relegated despite scoring 45+ goals.

On the other hand the teams with the worst defensive records virtually always go down, again of course there are exceptions.

Of the two attributes a strong defence is proven to avoid relegation over a strong attack.

No one would argue that we need to strengthen our goal scoring capability but our best case for survival next season is to continue to have a solid defence = Warnock's game.

Re: Premier League attack v defence

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I've read many comments on here, which I agree with, about needing to score in the Premier to stay up.

Surprisingly the statistics point to not conceding as being far more important.

Over the last 10 seasons teams regularly survive scoring 30~34 goals(Stoke made a habit of it) but sides have been relegated despite scoring 45+ goals.

On the other hand the teams with the worst defensive records virtually always go down, again of course there are exceptions.

Of the two attributes a strong defence is proven to avoid relegation over a strong attack.

No one would argue that we need to strengthen our goal scoring capability but our best case for survival next season is to continue to have a solid defence = Warnock's game.
    If no one scores against you, you defo finish with at least 38 points, JOB DONE.

Park the "Double Decker" it is then.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    If no one scores against you, you defo finish with at least 38 points, JOB DONE.

Bus or coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Bus or coach?
    Worked for Huddersfield at Chelsea other day. They were literally clearing upfield every time they got it and sat back. Bizarre to watch from a team in the same league.

It worked mind.

An upgrade in defensive midfield and right back could be important signings for us

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Can we get a megabus?