+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Those Swansea youth academies in Cardiff

Those Swansea youth academies in Cardiff

What happened with those Swansea academies that were being set up in Cardiff (was there one in Llanishen)?

I remember reading something on here about 18 months ago, I think a lot of the kids had to wear Swansea training gear etc. Are they still going? And did anybody from Cardiff get involved (i.e. told them to naff off)?

Re: Those Swansea youth academies in Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by Jamsarnie View Post
    What happened with those Swansea academies that were being set up in Cardiff (was there one in Llanishen)?

I remember reading something on here about 18 months ago, I think a lot of the kids had to wear Swansea training gear etc. Are they still going? And did anybody from Cardiff get involved (i.e. told them to naff off)?
    Were there ever any? i remember the talk about them, but I can't remember ever reading anything which confirmed they existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamsarnie View Post

Development centres not academies.

All they are are money spinners for parents who believe their kid is the next Messi. Sure, the very odd one who slipped through the net may get a trial with the academy...

How exactly could anyone from Cardiff tell them to "naff off"?

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post

All they are are money spinners for parents who believe their kid is the next Messi. Sure, the very odd one who slipped through the net may get a trial with the academy...

With mouth, fist and nasty face.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post

Correct on all counts-I regularly saw a couple of young blokes in full Swansea training gear in Tesco on maes y coed road, by the bakeries, i'm guessing they were (ripping off) coaching 8 year olds in how to do things the 'Swansea way' basically, don't pay your bills, watch small businesses go bust, and still not pay them when you get a skip load of cash in the premier league-I wonder if that was the method?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Correct on all counts-I regularly saw a couple of young blokes in full Swansea training gear in Tesco on maes y coed road, by the bakeries, i'm guessing they were (ripping off) coaching 8 year olds in how to do things the 'Swansea way' basically, don't pay your bills, watch small businesses go bust, and still not pay them when you get a skip load of cash in the premier league-I wonder if that was the method?
    I think they ran one at either Heath Park or Roath Park for a bit.

Hopefully this relegation will be the end of it.

About 4 years ago when my nipper was still playing kids football he played over Heath Park one Saturday morning and there was a swansea goalkeeper coaching session going on on the next pitch. I took great pleasure in lashing a few of their loose balls into the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    With mouth, fist and nasty face.
    That’s kind of what I was thinking

I feel like a thug now

Heard rumours, never seen one confirmed

What's the point opening a satellite academy 40 miles up the road?

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    About 4 years ago when my nipper was still playing kids football he played over Heath Park one Saturday morning and there was a swansea goalkeeper coaching session going on on the next pitch. I took great pleasure in lashing a few of their loose balls into the woods.
    Tempting to run over and smash a few past them at full pelt before sliding on my knees ayatollahing in front of their Judas coaches.

Swansea play the numbers game, get parents to pay for their kids kit, and travel, and build their hopes up.
    Cardiff are far more selective, and don't mess kids and parents around.
    I think the nearest jack 'academy' was one they ran in Merthyr. Nothing ever came if it.