+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Petition to try to stop the FA selling Wembley

Re: Petition to try to stop the FA selling Wembley

Quote Originally Posted by Stavross1927 View Post
    I thought as part of the agreement to sell, is that the original government and lottery funding used to build the stadium would be paid back in full from the proceeds of the sale? Also wasn’t the funding predominantly loans secured by the FA, which they have been paying back and there is about £150m outstanding?

You would imagine that any deal to sell would have caveats that all cup finals, playoff finals etc would have to be played at Wembley. It would also make sense for any stadium owner to have more games there as a way of maximising revenue. They would also retain the rights to club Wembley revenue for any football matches. Add to that if, and it’s a big if(and Wales won’t see any of it) the FA invest in 3G pitches up and down the country, then I don’t see the issue. It’s not like the FA has owned the stadium for any long periods of time anyway.
    No mention has been made of any of the money from the sale being given back to public or lottery funds. The money will be kept by the FA to use 'as they see fit' i.e. line their own pockets and fund the lifestyles of their executives. Some might filter down the system but experience should tell everyone that it will be a miniscule amount compared to what they keep to fund their own organisation. I wouldn't trust the FA with anything.

Not bothered about Wembley. It has completely lost its mistique since the development.
    It used to be a really significant moment in a player's career if they got to play there. There are probably great players who never managed to in years gone by.

These days it is used far too much, the entire premier league have played there and fa cup semi finals for years.
    It's not special any more, it's just a big boring stadium in the arsehole of London.

I'm no bothered about Fulham using it as they won't, it is far too big for them.

I do think that if it is sold off the public money should be repaid though.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    No mention has been made of any of the money from the sale being given back to public or lottery funds. The money will be kept by the FA to use 'as they see fit' i.e. line their own pockets and fund the lifestyles of their executives. Some might filter down the system but experience should tell everyone that it will be a miniscule amount compared to what they keep to fund their own organisation. I wouldn't trust the FA with anything.
    Apart from running Wembley Stadium? Which is what the petition is about.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Apart from the £150m put in to redevelop it, the tax payers don't contribute anything to its running costs - it is self funding.
    Spoilsport!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Apart from running Wembley Stadium? Which is what the petition is about.
    The thing is that I trust Shahid Khan less than the FA. At least the FA are accountable for what they do to some extent and their remit is to run Wembley and football in this country whereas Khan is purely a businessman with a finger in many pies and once he has bought it, no one would have any control over what he does with it.

The thing is that I trust Shahid Khan less than the FA. At least the FA are accountable for what they do to some extent and their remit is to run Wembley and football in this country whereas Khan is purely a businessman with a finger in many pies and once he has bought it, no one would have any control over what he does with it.
    What’s he worst he can do? He won’t stop having cup finals etc played at the stadium as it cuts off a form off revenue.

The only public funding to redevelop Wembley was £120 million from the lottery which was swallowed up by the cost of demolition and land purchases. The remaining funding - nearly £700 milllion - was from loans. Given that any money raised from selling Wembley will be ploughed back into grass roots football I don’t see a problem as supporting participation in sport is part of the national lottery’s remit.

And besides it is the English national stadium so I don’t care a great deal. As long as the FA cup final, league cup final and playoff finals are held there it will make no difference to us as Cardiff City fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    So in other words they advocate pandering to the ego of a megalomanic billionaire american who could allow all the main games to be played there but on the other hand could decide at some point not to or even to demolish/redevelop it and there would be little, if anything, anyone could do. They also ignore the play off final games that are played there when calculating its usage and these games give lower league players a chance to play at the National Stadium and are very well supported by fans who enjoy the day out and overall experience. The article looks at it purely from a financial point of view and that's not the point of the petition, its about history and tradition which Khan knows nothing about.

Heisenberg

So in other words they advocate pandering to the ego of a megalomanic billionaire american who could allow all the main games to be played there but on the other hand could decide at some point not to or even to demolish/redevelop it and there would be little, if anything, anyone could do. They also ignore the play off final games that are played there when calculating its usage and these games give lower league players a chance to play at the National Stadium and are very well supported by fans who enjoy the day out and overall experience. The article looks at it purely from a financial point of view and that's not the point of the petition, its about history and tradition which Khan knows nothing about.
    The stadium is about 10 years old! Where was the history and tradition when the FA decided to demolish the old Wembley and built a new stadium? (purely for financial purposes)

Only 31 have signed so far

I think you missed the bit where it said the FA would not be able to fulfil its role as it would be cash strapped if it didn't sell the stadium.

Couldn't care less where FA Cup finals etc are played, there are plenty of historic stadiums in the country and the Millennium Stadium wasn't a bad stand in

If anything Wembley is overused, the National League playoff final between Tranmere and Boreham Wood was played at Wembley FFS! Why? Why not somewhere like Stamford Bridge where they might actually fill it?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    The stadium is about 10 years old! Where was the history and tradition when the FA decided to demolish the old Wembley and built a new stadium? (purely for financial purposes)
    The old stadium was outdated and in serious disrepair and was on the point of being closed down, so repairing it was not an option. Funny how most people from abroad hold it in awe and want to go there to watch or play football but some people over here cant be bothered to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Only 31 have signed so far
    I didnt start the petition. I was just asking if anyone on here wanted to sign it. I had a feeling that I might be wasting my time because quite a few people on this board couldn't care less about the wider picture and history of the game. I know what Wembley meant to me as a child and still means to me now. I am Welsh and proud of it but have family and many friends in England. The world doesnt stop at the Severn Bridge like some people would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Couldn't care less where FA Cup finals etc are played, there are plenty of historic stadiums in the country and the Millennium Stadium wasn't a bad stand in

If anything Wembley is overused, the National League playoff final between Tranmere and Boreham Wood was played at Wembley FFS! Why? Why not somewhere like Stamford Bridge where they might actually fill it?
    Ask the players and fans of the teams who get to play there whether they would prefer to play it at a different smaller stadium and see what answer you get.

Ask the players and fans of the teams who get to play there whether they would prefer to play it at a different smaller stadium and see what answer you get.
    If you offered them cheaper tickets at a smaller venue they'd take it. Boreham Wood & Tranmere fans were going on about it over the weekend

There's no mystique to the stadium, its in the middle of nowhere and is a corporate bowl. Its riding on the coattails of its predecessor and has cost far too much and they charge far too much for tickets to cover costs.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    The only public funding to redevelop Wembley was £120 million from the lottery which was swallowed up by the cost of demolition and land purchases. The remaining funding - nearly £700 milllion - was from loans. Given that any money raised from selling Wembley will be ploughed back into grass roots football I don’t see a problem as supporting participation in sport is part of the national lottery’s remit.

And besides it is the English national stadium so I don’t care a great deal. As long as the FA cup final, league cup final and playoff finals are held there it will make no difference to us as Cardiff City fans.
    Sorry but your information is wrong. In addition to the £120m lottery grant, another £41m of funding was provided by Government agencies (London Development Agency and Dept for Culture Media and Sport). £161m of the cost was therefore provided from the public.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    If you offered them cheaper tickets at a smaller venue they'd take it. Boreham Wood & Tranmere fans were going on about it over the weekend

There's no mystique to the stadium, its in the middle of nowhere and is a corporate bowl. Its riding on the coattails of its predecessor and has cost far too much and they charge far too much for tickets to cover costs.
    No mystique to the stadium !!. You are joking arent you ?. It is still the second biggest stadium in Europe. The facilities in the ground are second to none. Why does it matter where it is located - it is on the site of the original ground. Just because its is inconvenient for you to get to, doesn't mean its not still an iconic ground. Loads of fans moaned about the Millenium stadium when it was used instead, due to inaccessibility and parking issues but I guess you found it good because you were nearer to it, so thats ok.

Didn't you all grow up like I did wanting to go there and experience it and wonder at the occasion of the Cup Final. Don't we all still want to go and watch City play there again ?.
    No.

Not especially.

No mystique to the stadium !!. You are joking arent you ?. It is still the second biggest stadium in Europe. The facilities in the ground are second to none. Why does it matter where it is located - it is on the site of the original ground. Just because its is inconvenient for you to get to, doesn't mean its not still an iconic ground. Loads of fans moaned about the Millenium stadium when it was used instead, due to inaccessibility and parking issues but I guess you found it good because you were nearer to it, so thats ok.
    Inaccessibility? Its in the middle of a feckin city centre!

No, there isn't anything special about the new Wembley Stadium, its an average modern stadium riding on the coattails of its predecessor. When its used as the stadium for the final of the Checkatrade Trophy and Tottenham Hotspur home game, it loses any kind of mystique it has in my view

Of course it matters where its located, an occasion such as a cup final isn't 90 minutes, its a full day, you don't want the stadium to be in the middle of nowhere

That final comment is a load of bollocks, the Millennium gets rave reviews from visiting fans and is known as a great venue to watch sport, be it football or rugby

I'd rather go to spurs new stadium, the Emirates, old Trafford,st James park, Stamford bridge, villa park

In theory, if British lottery players are funding English only grass roots sport then it seems wrong. But if you start along that path then it's likely to get messy and probably not worth the endless dispute for a one off.

Every fan I've spoken to who's team has played at The Millennium said they preferred it to the New Wembley and would have the games back there at the drop of a hat.

Clearly the fans you've spoken to have the same rose tinted glasses as you.

Thought you were boycotting the Welsh games at the Mill Stad? Can’t be that good there.