+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Petition to try to stop the FA selling Wembley

Petition to try to stop the FA selling Wembley

Just noticed this on the government petition website. An effort to stop the American billionaire owner of Fulham grabbing the National Stadium and using it for his own ends. Anyone who feels like me that it shouldnt be sold to him can click on this link and add their details. It was renovated using 'our' public money and National Lottery funds.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/219222

Pass it on to other people as well if you can.

Re: Petition to try to stop the FA selling Wembley

Will the money they make off it be invested back into grass roots football though? Seems a better use of it than a stadium that’s used 10% of the year.

Wasn’t old Wembley privately owned as well?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Just noticed this on the government petition website. An effort to stop the American billionaire owner of Fulham grabbing the National Stadium and using it for his own ends. Anyone who feels like me that it shouldnt be sold to him can click on this link and add their details. It was renovated using 'our' public money and National Lottery funds.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/219222

Pass it on to other people as well if you can.
    Surely you mean England's National Stadium?

Who cares what the English FA do with their stadium?

Will city benefit either way? Are we full members of the (English) FA now?

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Will city benefit either way? Are we full members of the (English) FA now?
    Should you only oppose something if the outcome benefits you personally?

Quote Originally Posted by tomm View Post
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Should you only oppose something if the outcome benefits you personally?
    Just wondering what the answer is. My gut says I don’t care at all who owns Wembley- but any reason why I should?

The old Wembley was privately owned but was badly neglected and fell into serious disrepair, which is one of the reasons why it was redeveloped. The stadium was totally rebuilt using hundreds of millions of pounds of tax payers money and ordinary peoples money from the National Lottery and none of this money will be repaid if it is sold to Shahid Khan. The money raised will line the pockets of the FA as well as some of it being used to spread into 'grass roots football' or so the FA say anyway. Every ordinary football fan in the UK should be concerned by this man buying the stadium because basically he can do what he likes with it then and many people dont trust him to preserve it. It is an iconic stadium which should hold a place in the hearts of everyone who loves football. Some of Citys most memorable occasions in the last 120 years have taken place there (FA Cup finals and semi-final, Play off final, Carling Cup Final). God we won the cup there in 1927!. It is a place that every footballer in the UK wants to play at as well. Like it or not Wales doesnt have a National Football Stadium currently, so to argue that Wembley is not Welsh, so why should anyone care, misses the point. Didn't you all grow up like I did wanting to go there and experience it and wonder at the occasion of the Cup Final. Don't we all still want to go and watch City play there again ?. Its a no brainer for me. Money shouldnt always be allowed to win.

We play in the English League pyramid system and to get to play at Wembley is the aim of playing in the FA and other cup competitions, so we should all care about it.

Who ever wants to buy Wembley stadium would be doing the English FA a favor. Shockingly soulless stadium with no character, which was built for the cooperate sponsers with little thought about the fans. Probably the worst stadium I've been to for a football fans experience.... And it cost over a billion pound to build.... crazy. Doesn't come remotely close to the Cardiff national stadium, for a great day out experience

Quote Originally Posted by Silures View Post
    Who ever wants to buy Wembley stadium would be doing the English FA a favor. Shockingly soulless stadium with no character, which was built for the cooperate sponsers with little thought about the fans. Probably the worst stadium I've been to for a football fans experience.... And it cost over a billion pound to build.... crazy. Doesn't come remotely close to the Cardiff national stadium, for a great day out experience
    I agree I've been there 4 times and there's feck all there

Quote Originally Posted by Silures View Post
    It wasnt a soulless stadium when City took 35000 there and almost beat Liverpool in the Carling Cup final. Nor was it soulless when we beat Barnsley and lost to Portsmouth in the FA Cup. The atmosphere in the ground and overall experience was excellent at all of them. If stadiums were graded by the quality of their surroundings then no one would ever go to any of them around the country. What National Stadium are you referring to in Cardiff ? - the one owned and run by the WRU, which is a Rugby ground in case you hadn't noticed and for many years the WRU wouldnt let football have anything to do with it, until they decided they needed the money that is. Wembley is a stadium that all players and most fans still aspire to go to, which says it all for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    This
    These appear to be very narrow minded opinions based on nationalistic viewpoints which take no account of the history and tradition of the game in Britain. If Shahid Khan tried to buy CCS and turn it into an American Football stadium, I dare say you would have rather more to say about that. City play in the English League and English Cup systems.

These appear to be very narrow minded opinions based on nationalistic viewpoints which take no account of the history and tradition of the game in Britain. If Shahid Khan tried to buy CCS and turn it into an American Football stadium, I dare say you would have rather more to say about that. City play in the English League and English Cup systems.
    Give up mate. It’s like trying to educate pork!

It wasnt a soulless stadium when City took 35000 there and almost beat Liverpool in the Carling Cup final. Nor was it soulless when we beat Barnsley and lost to Portsmouth in the FA Cup. The atmosphere in the ground and overall experience was excellent at all of them. If stadiums were graded by the quality of their surroundings then no one would ever go to any of them around the country. What National Stadium are you referring to in Cardiff ? - the one owned and run by the WRU, which is a Rugby ground in case you hadn't noticed and for many years the WRU wouldnt let football have anything to do with it, until they decided they needed the money that is. Wembley is a stadium that all players and most fans still aspire to go to, which says it all for me.
    Will selling the stadium mean that the FA Cup, League Cup and Play Offs will, be played elsewhere?

Re- surroundings, every fan I've spoken to who attended the football Cup finals at the Welsh Rugby Stadium said it was a better experience than the ones they've attended at the new Wembley.

We play in the English League pyramid system and to get to play at Wembley is the aim of playing in the FA and other cup competitions, so we should all care about it.
    Didn't devalue any of the competitions when the play-offs and the cup finals were played down here so struggling to see your point.

The old Wembley was privately owned but was badly neglected and fell into serious disrepair, which is one of the reasons why it was redeveloped. The stadium was totally rebuilt using hundreds of millions of pounds of tax payers money and ordinary peoples money from the National Lottery and none of this money will be repaid if it is sold to Shahid Khan. The money raised will line the pockets of the FA as well as some of it being used to spread into 'grass roots football' or so the FA say anyway. Every ordinary football fan in the UK should be concerned by this man buying the stadium because basically he can do what he likes with it then and many people dont trust him to preserve it. It is an iconic stadium which should hold a place in the hearts of everyone who loves football. Some of Citys most memorable occasions in the last 120 years have taken place there (FA Cup finals and semi-final, Play off final, Carling Cup Final). God we won the cup there in 1927!. It is a place that every footballer in the UK wants to play at as well. Like it or not Wales doesnt have a National Football Stadium currently, so to argue that Wembley is not Welsh, so why should anyone care, misses the point. Didn't you all grow up like I did wanting to go there and experience it and wonder at the occasion of the Cup Final. Don't we all still want to go and watch City play there again ?. Its a no brainer for me. Money shouldnt always be allowed to win.
    I thought as part of the agreement to sell, is that the original government and lottery funding used to build the stadium would be paid back in full from the proceeds of the sale? Also wasn’t the funding predominantly loans secured by the FA, which they have been paying back and there is about £150m outstanding?

You would imagine that any deal to sell would have caveats that all cup finals, playoff finals etc would have to be played at Wembley. It would also make sense for any stadium owner to have more games there as a way of maximising revenue. They would also retain the rights to club Wembley revenue for any football matches. Add to that if, and it’s a big if(and Wales won’t see any of it) the FA invest in 3G pitches up and down the country, then I don’t see the issue. It’s not like the FA has owned the stadium for any long periods of time anyway.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

How many complained and petitioned when the government spnkd over 800 million of lottery and taxpayers money on what’s now called the O2 arena

Sell the thing quickly so the taxpayers don’t have to kept putting their hands in their pockets to support the lavish lifestyles of consultants and designers who possess a rare skill at squeezing the juices out of the public sector

The FA got stung when construction costs for Wembley ballooned. It was more than they can afford and they'll never make that money back just from selling tickets. They should be allowed to sell it.

People say it’s a soulless bowl but whenever we’ve been there I think the atmosphere has been incredible. It’s not in the best location but it’s in the same place the old stadium was.

It looks dead for internationals but every playoff or cup final when it’s full seems decent to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Didn't devalue any of the competitions when the play-offs and the cup finals were played down here so struggling to see your point.
    At a rugby stadium owned by a group if people who hate football but tolerate it because it rakes in money for them. They are just as likely to turn round and stop football being played there as carry on with the present arrangement. Why should football line the pockets of the WRU. It was alright as a temporary arrangement whilst Wembley was being rebuilt but the 'home' of the FA Cup (and other cup competitions) and play offs is Wembley and always has been. Players and fans alike aspire to appear there. Obviously not you or a number of others on here though.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    How many complained and petitioned when the government spnkd over 800 million of lottery and taxpayers money on what’s now called the O2 arena

Sell the thing quickly so the taxpayers don’t have to kept putting their hands in their pockets to support the lavish lifestyles of consultants and designers who possess a rare skill at squeezing the juices out of the public sector
    Apart from the £150m put in to redevelop it, the tax payers don't contribute anything to its running costs - it is self funding.

Those days are long gone. If course I would have a different opinion if it was CCS but I couldn't give 2 monkey's about Wembley I actually think England should play all around the country same with wales and actually give the northerners a chance