+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Just for fun-Ronnie Moore

Just for fun-Ronnie Moore

Only scored 6 times during his time with us but was a hugely popular player with us.I used to have a tee-shirt with the imfamous slogan "I've seen Ronnie Moore score" but alas it went duster heaven years ago.

But how many of us still going can actually say where and when he scored.The only time I can remember actually witnessing this feat was away to Shewsbury when he got one with John Buccanan in a 2-1 win.(I think)

Re: Just for fun-Ronnie Moore

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Only scored 6 times during his time with us but was a hugely popular player with us.I used to have a tee-shirt with the imfamous slogan "I've seen Ronnie Moore score" but alas it went duster heaven years ago.

But how many of us still going can actually say where and when he scored.The only time I can remember actually witnessing this feat was away to Shewsbury when he got one with John Buccanan in a 2-1 win.(I think)
    He was a great player

We loved him because he tried ,and was a nutter.

I must have. Never missed a home game in that era.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    I must have. Never missed a home game in that era.
    I was about to say the same but I can’t remember seeing him score.

And everyone was desperate for him to.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    He was a great player
    Hhhmmm. I’m not sure about that.

He tried hard and was a decent player but couldn’t score. And that is what we bought him for.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post

He had a tough job at City.
    Often the lone forward, the ball was pumped high towards him. With his back to goal he was expected to win the ball, usually outside the penalty area, take it down, turn, run for goal, shoot, score. Little wonder he scored so few, but try, he never stopped.

I remember one but not the game!. Decent finish from the edge of the pen area.

I think he scored in a 2-1 home defeat to Chelsea and may have scored in a 2-1 win at Sunderland. ?

I was at Shrewsbury for that 2-1 win mentioned earlier

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Often the lone forward, the ball was pumped high towards him. With his back to goal he was expected to win the ball, usually outside the penalty area, take it down, turn, run for goal, shoot, score. Little wonder he scored so few, but try, he never stopped.
    That is my memories of Ronnie

Yes, he never had any service. He was crying out for a winger to put some crosses in but it never materialised.
    We were really shite then!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Without him Gary Stevens wouldn't have scored the goals he did.

He scored at an away game and my mate & myself went and had some badges made up with "I saw Ronnie Moore Score" probably shrewsbury as I was there too. he was a real trier as mentioned and went down well with the fan's who were just as nut's in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by i saw ronnie moore score View Post
    He scored at an away game and my mate & myself went and had some badges made up with "I saw Ronnie Moore Score" probably shrewsbury as I was there too. he was a real trier as mentioned and went down well with the fan's who were just as nut's in those days.
    I used to sit in the Grandstand with my Dad when Ronnie Moore played for us, and I can always remember a guy behind us who used to laugh at Ronnie Moore as he was so hapless, whereas most of us were desperate for him to score.

Anyway, it got to breaking point when a middle aged bloke sitting in the row in front, completely lost it with the sarcastic bloke sitting behind us, and let him have it with a full volley of expletive laden abuse, with me caught between the two of them.

It was quite a surprise in the relative calm of the Grandstand, but the bloke deserved it really.

I wouldn't say that I was scarred or anything but this was over 40 years ago......

Gray matter is a bit worn, but I am sure he scored a goal at home, where he beat about 3 men and planted a beautiful shot in the Canton end net.

Might be wrong, but for some reason it is there at the back of the brain (yes I have got one , in before)

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Gray matter is a bit worn, but I am sure he scored a goal at home, where he beat about 3 men and planted a beautiful shot in the Canton end net.

Might be wrong, but for some reason it is there at the back of the brain (yes I have got one , in before)
    It doesn’t matter if it happened or not; hold onto that image.

(It does sound vaguely familiar now, or am I just wanting to believe it too?)

I can remember him scoring against Brighton when they were on their way to promotion (we won 3-1).

The goal for which I most remember him was a looping header at the Grange End over Dai Davies I think it was to clinch a 1-0 win over Wrexham and he put us 1-0 up in that game with Chelsea mentioned earlier which we ended up losing 2-1. Also, he scored at Shrewsbury as mentioned above and in that great 2-1 win at Sunderland which stopped them going up.

Can't remember where his other goal was scored though, I'm going to have to look it up.

Edit, it was the game before we won at Sunderland - a 2-1 home win over Luton.

I loved his work rate, but the bloke chased shadows.
    The supply was shit though.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I can remember him scoring against Brighton when they were on their way to promotion (we won 3-1).

The goal for which I most remember him was a looping header at the Grange End over Dai Davies I think it was to clinch a 1-0 win over Wrexham and he put us 1-0 up in that game with Chelsea mentioned earlier which we ended up losing 2-1. Also, he scored at Shrewsbury as mentioned above and in that great 2-1 win at Sunderland which stopped them going up.

Can't remember where his other goal was scored though, I'm going to have to look it up.

Edit, it was the game before we won at Sunderland - a 2-1 home win over Luton.
    Jeez,apart from the shewsbury goal I have no memory of the others.

[QUOTE=Barmy;4881283]I loved his work rate, but the bloke chased shadows.
    And Lyndon Jones crossing from the half way line!,
    For ****s sake!

[QUOTE=Barmy;4881327]
    Quote Originally Posted by Barmy View Post
    I loved his work rate, but the bloke chased shadows.
    And Lyndon Jones crossing from the half way line!,
    For ****s sake!
    I always rated Lyndon Jones......

The day that he left in the mega-deal with John Lewis (who I also rated), plus Tarki (no great loss there at all) was a sad one.

Didn't we get Nigel 'Super Ted' Vaughn and Karl Elsey in return?