+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Holiday in Blackpool?

O/T Holiday in Blackpool?

Been trying to find out what Blackpool is like for a long weekend with the family?
    Both my children have heard from others who have been that it's great but the only feedback i have had is it's a dump and not nice for families with kids.
    Mine want to go for the fair , amusements and the big indoor water park..
    Any advice? i'd rather here from someone whose been lately..

Re: O/T Holiday in Blackpool?

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Been trying to find out what Blackpool is like for a long weekend with the family?
    Both my children have heard from others who have been that it's great but the only feedback i have had is it's a dump and not nice for families with kids.
    It's not nice and it is a dump.

(I lived up that way until 5 years ago and nothing's changed since to make me think it's any better)

The place is an absolute shithole. Tacky and cheap at the front, dirty and run down behind. Reminds me of my missus.

It’s minging.

Went to a wedding in Lancaster a couple of years ago and popped into Blackpool on the way home.

It is very tacky and run down as others have said but it does have plenty of amusements and a massive fair if that’s what your kids are after.

There are many nearer places than Blackpool I would recommend first though.

I spend quite a bit of time in Blackpool and I love it. There is so much to do - the beach, Tower, Zoo, three piers, pleasure beach (fair). Avoid staying to the south of the town centre and find a nice hotel on the North Shore. It is tacky and rough but no more so than Barry Island or Canton. I will be there on the second weekend in June staying in a luxury B&B for £50 a night for a room with the Missus. Ignore the snobs on this board or, if you are a snob or a delicate flower, don’t go!

We gave it one last chance 2 years ago. Never again. I cannot think of a single positive thing to say. Stuck in the 50s & falling to pieces. Needs bulldozing

A few years ago, one of my daughters friends raved about it, said the " theme park " was great, loads to do

So we go for a 4 day break ( it was a bank holiday and Tuesday was a TD day ), we drive up, found the B&B, went and checked in, got shown the room and it was like something from the 70's, the carpet was some shagpile effort ( from the 70's ) so we declined the room and went and had pizza hut to discuss what we should do, premier inn was my choice ( you know where you are ) in the end, we decided to save our money and head home

We wouldnt rush back to be fair, I would take a guess its a great place for a lads / lass's weekend, but as a family place, give it a swerve

Oh and its no disneyworld thats for sure ( incase JtJ is wondering )

as you mentioned " fair , amusements and the big indoor water park " , May i suggest Butlins, that will tick the box for a weekend

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    We went there a couple of years back - a complete shit hole. Go for a few hours and head somewhere nicer in the area.

It’s many years since I’ve been and the only times I did were with work (we took our kids to one function - they were young at the time so didn’t notice the squalour) My guess is that they’ve probably not spent a great deal on any regeneration programme.

By the time you’ve done everything you’re probably better off (financially and emotionally) to book a weekend at Alton Towers/Spash Landings and stay at the hotel there

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    It’s many years since I’ve been and the only times I did were with work (we took our kids to one function - they were young at the time so didn’t notice the squalour) My guess is that they’ve probably not spent a great deal on any regeneration programme.

By the time you’ve done everything you’re probably better off (financially and emotionally) to book a weekend at Alton Towers/Spash Landings and stay at the hotel there
    The local council have spent £100 million on revamping the prom.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-10107493.html

The tramway is being extended to the main railway station. I think that the people calling Blackpool a shithole have only spent time around the Pleasure Beach and the south and central piers. The area north of the town centre - which has also had huge investment - is very nice. North shore and the gay village are very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    The local council have spent £100 million on revamping the prom.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-10107493.html

The tramway is being extended to the main railway station. I think that the people calling Blackpool a shithole have only spent time around the Pleasure Beach and the south and central piers. The area north of the town centre - which has also had huge investment - is very nice. North shore and the gay village are very cool.
    That 3 year old Independent article is hardly a glowing referral?

The place is set in the fifties and as many have already said it’s an absolute shithole

Henry Quelch

Recently spent 4 days with son and grand-children aged 6 and 10 and would agree it has the feel of an old rundown 60's British seaside resort . However the grand-children enjoyed their visit and parts of the North beach area were reasonable. Stayed at the Premier inn in Bispham about 3 miles from the Tower and used the local bus/tram service for travel within the town (Excellent reliable service and 3 day pass was economical with parking being difficult and expensive).

Would suggest if visiting, plan and research area where intending to stay including any hotels as quality can vary greatly, but it is as the label says typical British seaside resort which has seen better days.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    That 3 year old Independent article is hardly a glowing referral?
    I'm just linking to an article showing the level of investment. The refurbished prom is a very beautiful walk which I do from north shore to the pleasure beach every time I go - about four miles.
    I agree that large parts of central Blackpool are rough, cheesy, gaudy, dangerous at night and ugly. But a significant part of the town is elegant in terms of architecture. I like to mix it up and drink all over town. Having lived in Pontcanna for twenty years I've had my fill of hipsters, yummy mummies and posh accents.
    Yes, Blackpool is rough, ugly and working class. But on a warm evening nothing beats sitting at the end of North Pier, a quarter of a mile out to sea and drinking your pint of Carling with a loved one. As Henry Quelch says, stay north of the town centre. There is more for kids to do than in any other place in the UK (especially if it is warm and sunny) and mixing with the hoi polloi will be good for them.

Great away trip though, remember turning up there about midday a few years back and the bars were like they are at 11pm everywhere else in the country. DJ's, the lot. If I remember rightly we battered them 1-1

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Great away trip though, remember turning up there about midday a few years back and the bars were like they are at 11pm everywhere else in the country. DJ's, the lot. If I remember rightly we battered them 1-1
    Ah yes, we did. Best away performance I'd seen for years and we bloody drew. We must've had about 30 shots that day, Kenny Miller missing a few sitters. They had one cross-come shot (Kevin Phillips) and it went in!

Haven't been there for about 10 years, but prior to that was there quite regularly for work, and spent a weekend there for a City game once.

It depends what you're looking for - for a family you have old fashioned variety type shows, the lights (in October I think) and the fair. Not sure there's much more.

For adults - plenty of decent pubs, but do tend to be full of stag and hen do's.

Other than that, I'd stay at home!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Ah yes, we did. Best away performance I'd seen for years and we bloody drew. We must've had about 30 shots that day, Kenny Miller missing a few sitters. They had one cross-come shot (Kevin Phillips) and it went in!
    That's the one